Author Topic: What Do You Score On This Survey?  (Read 13568 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
What Do You Score On This Survey?
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:33 AM »
It is called a Libertarian Purity Test but Ben Domenech says it is more accurately described as an anarchy capitalist test.

Domenech compiled a bunch of stats based on tweeted scores and compiled a graphic of where most people stand along with some info on where specific people scored. I'm not sure if I should be reassured or alarmed that Adam Baldwin scored the same as I did.

Domenech scored a 92

You can look at his twitter feed for June 27 to see where various people ("famous" or otherwise) came in on the test.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

Re: What Do You Score On This Survey?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
An 84.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
I took that a few days ago and scored a 72, IIRC.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.

I see what they did.  I went from nearly 100% to 50% to 0% as I went down.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »

You and I have pretty much tracked a parallel path since we first met on the Powerline forum.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
Your Score: 75

You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »

You and I have pretty much tracked a parallel path since we first met on the Powerline forum.

That's an interesting thing to ponder, since I know that my own ideology and views have transformed a great deal over that span of time. I wonder how many other Americans would say the same thing, if somehow we were all to compare notes?

That would be a good thing to know - because if anything is to change peacefully, we're basically going to have to see something like what we saw in Egypt yesterday: 17,000,000 people in the streets, making a concrete ultimatum, and accepting no compromise against tyranny.

There are times when I think that if only everyone who sees things the way we do would simultaneously understand the sheer numbers of us who are basically united for liberty, we could take this country back and restore constitutional government with relative ease. But as it is, everyone is waiting around for some sign that acting boldly will not leave one dangling alone on a limb.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Due to the large numbers of low intelligence voters it will take a catalyst of some sort to make it happen. It may never happen. Our country could truly be over...the walking dead...and most people don't see it yet. Could be.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Your score is...  72

51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so.
No, not uncomfortable at all.  I don't consider myself a libertarian or an anarchist.

Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.
Again, no, they've given up. But that "here he goes again" look does occur.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »
That's an interesting thing to ponder, since I know that my own ideology and views have transformed a great deal over that span of time.

Okay, but I could tell that you were strong with The Force, though.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
I am not at all surprised that several of us are within a few points of each other.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
I am not at all surprised that several of us are within a few points of each other.

Me either. Not at all.

What I meant with the part of the previous comment that you quoted is that I believe that a few years ago, I wouldn't have scored nearly as high as a libertarian. I think as my consciousness of how small-L libertarianism and the founding principles are essentially one-and-the-same has grown, I have moved more consciously toward the libertarian philosophy.

When I first became conservative, I allowed the Republican Party to define it for me. Not anymore. Not even close.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
Either I am camping out on ZeroHedge too much lately or I am really getting fed up with just about everything or just especially PO'd today (or all of the above)...I scored 121 "hard-core libertarian", really?  Who knew?

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »

When I first became conservative, I allowed the Republican Party to define it for me. Not anymore. Not even close.

I think that has become true for a lot of us. But that's mostly because the party has moved away from us more than we from them. Republican party principles used to be more in line with liberty and freedom and now, especially given the amnesty fight, they are more in line with the left.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
Your Libertarian Purity Score

Your score is...

(I consider myself a conservative with libertarian tendencies. )
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »

51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.

Actually, I rarely discuss my views with friends--they're not well-read enough to have a conversation on most issues

some of these questions weren't a straight yes or no answers for me
so I guessed on those

I don't do well answering surveys -- I know too much to answer with a simple yes or no or the question isn't specific enough etc

I'm moving away from any political label anyway
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
I think all such tests are rather dubious, and the description of anarchy capitalist test is more accurate. Like IDP,  would say Little L libertarianism is indistinguishable from that the Founders preached and believed.  This test certainly isn't testing you on that.  Of course this is the "labeling" issue - and its a common trick of the Left.. set up a straw-man and try to change or at least confuse  the definition.  The Tea Party is an excellent example-- the Left tried to put them on par with Hitler and the KKK ( both Left leaning by the way) - they want to prevent a movement from forming and do so by confounding the very terms used to self-identify, fined one another, and form a group under that name.
 You are Tea-Partier? Are you a racist?  Do you believe that All Government should be abolished and is evil ?  And so on.  Few People in the Tea Party movement would argue for the abolishing all taxes, all publicly owne property or govt run services.   This Test never asked is Government a Necessary evil - which is would be more core to a little l libertarian's belief system.

My standard response anymore is to respond "you are using a definition that I don't agree with..  I believe what the Founder's believed - what term would you use to describe that?"
And if they complain (and they will) remind them that they are the ones  refusing to accept YOUR definition of the term and are being inflexible so you are asking them the come up with one they are comfortable with to describe the ideas and policies you support. They will refuse to name you. Each and Every time.  For liberals, names are reality ( intensional oritentation  so if they give your ideology a name they will be forced to start dealing with it, and in that battle they will loose.  They depend on fighting imaginary enemies, and they simply can't deal with specifics.

Scored a 71 if anyone cares.  

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
I am surprised I'm the least L here.  Maybe too many questions that aren't yes/no I just said no.  

NO, I don't want to end SS.  You can't just throw 10s of millions out on the street this moment.  20 years maybe, but not today.  Rinse/repeat

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
I am surprised I'm the least L here.  Maybe too many questions that aren't yes/no I just said no. 

NO, I don't want to end SS.  You can't just throw 10s of millions out on the street this moment.  20 years maybe, but not today.  Rinse/repeat

But with your longer answer you really are making an argument for ending it. Just not immediately. I think if you go back and take the test again you will, if you look at the questions that way, score differently.

I, too, didn't see any way to end things like SS immediately but I felt that they had to end and answered accordingly.

For instance, it will take a Constitutional amendment to get rid of the USPS but it still needs to go. It is not sustainable and it never can be. Plus, like a lot of things in the modern world, it is not exactly necessary or useful...it can be done by the private sector and it should be. So, yeah, I said that the USPS should go away but I said it with the full knowledge that it couldn't happen quickly or easily. Just that it should.

The fact is that there are a whole host of programs, agencies and governmental entities that need to go away. They need to go away for libertarian reasons (i.e. smaller government for its own sake) but for me the biggest reason revolves around the word, "unsustainable." We can't afford them. No one can. We need to spend tax money on the truly necessary things (which is why I didn't score higher) like the military and the border, highways and bridges, law enforcement and the judiciary, etc...things that are common to all of us, that we should all pay for and that are necessary to ensure the survival of the nation but other than those few necessary things everything else should just be chucked. Some things should be chucked immediately and others should be wiped out gradually.

I encourage you to take the test again with a mind toward what should be rather than what might be possible to accomplish in today's political climate.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
I am surprised I'm the least L here.  Maybe too many questions that aren't yes/no I just said no.  

NO, I don't want to end SS.  You can't just throw 10s of millions out on the street this moment.  20 years maybe, but not today.  Rinse/repeat

The decision to throw 10s of millions into the street was made on August 14th 1935, and has been affirmed by each and every Legislative  Body since then who has refused to act. The people collecting Social Security today are the same one that confirmed and expanded the program. . .  and they can't claim ignorance - the  Demographics of this Ponzi have been established since the 1950s and the Baby boom .  The difference is that my generation - the first to pay in with full knowledge there will be no pay out,  is being asked to pay for the prior one knowing we will get nothing.  This system doesn't have 20 years left to it, nor do I see why I should give up ANOTHER 20 years of my pay for a generation so selfish they paid for their golden years with the slave labor of their children and grandchildren even if it did. Think about what you just said- I , in my mid forties, should work another 20 years, and NEVER get a dime.  Social Security is evil, and ensuring a payout for the  leeching parasites before the system fails at my expense doesn't sit well with me. If it should be ended because its an unjust scheme for robbing others, then it follows  should be ended now.  Someone has to get screwed - therefore let it be those who are guilty of voting for and supporting it and who have benefited , and not those who have always, always wanted it stopped.  I have already sacrificed 20 years of my pay on this program's behalf knowing I will get nothing. It is wrong and cruel to ask me to pay for another 20 more with my being screwed  being the foregone conclusion set in into law. Let their lives be disrupted. Let their own  kids, family and church  care for them if they deserve being cared for.  Their generation at least had the opportunity to save for retirement.  I can't - as ZIRP (a policy enacted largely so this ponzi can last another few years)  steals every last penny I have saved for the last 20 years. And in that environment you want me to give up money I could be saving for my retirement- a retirement in which there IS no social security, so these people who squandered their opportunities can still get paid?  My retirement plan is to live with my kids, because no other is possible. I see no reason what-so-ever that the people who put me in this situation shouldn't share the same fate.

Believe me, I can throw 10's of millions out into the street at this moment AND sleep well tonight, because the alternative is bankrupting the entire country, destroying the economy and turning  EVERYONE into the street.  But don't worry, I will never be given the chance to throw those seniors to the mercy and care of their own  children and grandchildren that they so wrongfully and immorally indentured.  No, they will be cast into the street by the reality of the system they created, and continually  supported even while they  knew the unfair  burden of it would fall to future generations who could not pay and who would never collect.  The inevitable failure of the Ponzi means their children and grandchildren will be in no state to care for them either.

Anyone who believes  they can consume more than they contributed ( and the Baby boomers as a generation ARE the prime culprits here)  deserves everything that is coming, and I won't lift a finger to help any of them. . and that includes my own Democratic, Liberal, Fascist parents.  The time of reckoning is coming.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:31:04 PM by Weisshaupt »