Author Topic: What Do You Score On This Survey?  (Read 13661 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: What Do You Score On This Survey?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
110.  "You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn't that make you feel worse that you didn't get a perfect score?"

No, that doesn't make me "feel worse", but I do think the questions weren't asked properly.

Although, as I answered "yes" in response to SS and Medicare being abolished, my definition of abolished doesn't include kicking off those collecting and benefiting currently; it would be phased out and killed before roping in younger generations.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »
110.  "You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn't that make you feel worse that you didn't get a perfect score?"

No, that doesn't make me "feel worse", but I do think the questions weren't asked properly.

Although, as I answered "yes" in response to SS and Medicare being abolished, my definition of abolished doesn't include kicking off those collecting and benefiting currently; it would be phased out and killed before roping in younger generations.

Again I must ask. Why. Should. I. Pay. One. More . Cent.  In?
Those benefiting are doing so ONLY by hurting others who will never benefit, or benefit only at greatly reduced returns. .  Why should we condone even one more day of it?
A Ponzi will end. No. Matter. What.  Why should it not end to hurt those who participated instead of those who didn't.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »
Would housing vouchers be an improvement over government housing?

Stupid question.  I'm going to say no and it will hurt my L score.  Neither option is good.  

Got me up to 53.  Still too many nos in part 2 take my score down.

Too many "abolish ALL of something."  I say no most of the time.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »
SS and other welfare hasn't just altered the black family dynamics but has affected all because people know that if they don't take responsibility for themselves or their family members the state will.

My dad could walk out on my mom because someone else would take care of her (she lives off SS and some savings from working). My brother could move out of the house, marry his pregnant girlfriend and live off of welfare.

But even my mom doesn't get it.
My mother is a prime example of what's wrong.  She lives "on her own" off SS and some (small) savings.  She really believes she isn't dependent on anyone but without SS she would have nothing. She doesn't want to live with any of her kids and quite frankly, except for me and my husband, I don't think my siblings would ever offer. (Our long term includes my mother living with us though she is a very difficult person to be around --that's what you do--take care of family.)  She's terrified SS will be taken from her. Even though she calls herself a conservative she doesn't understand what that means--she's really only interested in the social issues esp. abortion. She loves to tell people her grandchildren studied the Constitution at Hillsdale College but if you try to explain the details of the founding principles she shuts down and won't discuss it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »

And that is why we fail. Some things are simply wrong, and no good will come of them.  "Charity" involuntarily coerced from some  and given to others is one of them. The damage is directly proportional.  Abolishing some, will still leave the rest of the wrong unaltered, and , in fact and deed, tacitly condoned.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

Stupid question.  I'm going to say no and it will hurt my L score.  Neither option is good.  

Yeah, I left that one blank, not because I was worried about my score, but because I don't believe we should be housing anybody, vouchers or otherwise.  As for the "abolish ALL of something", I answered yes every time.  Because bigot/racist/big fat meanie.

Again I must ask. Why. Should. I. Pay. One. More . Cent.  In?
Those benefiting are doing so ONLY by hurting others who will never benefit, or benefit only at greatly reduced returns. .  Why should we condone even one more day of it?
A Ponzi will end. No. Matter. What.  Why should it not end to hurt those who participated instead of those who didn't.

Weisshaupt, I agree with you, actually, and I don't think we ought to be paying One. More. Cent. either.  I don't want to participate in their Ponzi scheme either.  Here's the question though:  what is to be done about the folks whose money was confiscated; those who paid in?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:30 PM »

I too think SS should not immediately end.  It should be phased out.  Phasing out, was not the question and phasing out was not the intent of the question. 

Weisshaupt, it pains me to hear you would gladly throw me out on the street.
Do you really believe that SS is bankrupting this nation?  Think of all the worthless
and negative money pits that could first be cancelled.  And how about the money SSers
have paid in, would you cancel and refund the amount paid in with interest or just
steal it?

And, we didn't create this system, most of the survivors of the time of SS's creation were children.  There is virtually no one alive who voted for SS. This indentured system was foisted upon us as it was you.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
I said yes to abolishing SS, but in doing so, I would never propose that it be ended immediately today, and I didn't take the question to mean that. I only took it to mean that ideologically, I oppose SS and would like to see it abolished.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
If it were up to me I'd set a deadline for the last day of SS.  "Heads up,people, it ends in "X" months or X years--so get ready." No phase out-- just one day and it's done.

Heck, people think a snow storm is coming they rush out to the store to get ready for it so they can do the same for the end of SS.  Of course, they buy stupid stuff for a snow storm like frozen food but I can't help stupid.

I've noticed now the "Christian" thing to do is to be "for" liberal, government social programs which conveniently relieves one of the Christian duty to actually help others.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I've noticed now the "Christian" thing to do is to be "for" liberal, government social programs which conveniently relieves one of the Christian duty to actually help others.

That is especially true for the pro amnesty crowd with Catholics. Don't know why.

As regards the government social programs I am not sure that that attitude is universal among Christians. I think that if you were to survey them you would find it is a more prevalent attitude among the more liberal denominations. Just guessing but I'm a pretty good guesser.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

Actually, I thought this one of the better questions. The answer does not require all or nothing. It is merely comparative. Is it better to be run over by a bus or the neighbors child coming off the bus? Neither is "good" one obviously causes less damage. Comparatively, I would prefer the neighbor child. In my perfect world NEITHER would happen. Someone wake me when we get there.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
Weisshaupt, I agree with you, actually, and I don't think we ought to be paying One. More. Cent. either.  I don't want to participate in their Ponzi scheme either.  Here's the question though:  what is to be done about the folks whose money was confiscated; those who paid in?

When folks invested with Bernie Maddoff,  did they get their money back? Or was it just lost?  If they could have gotten their money back by forcing others to make up the difference and make them whole at gun point, would  it be right to do so? I know no one here on this forum is trying to do anything other than get back what they were forced to put in. But here is the hard fact : Your money was stolen out of the trust fund by politicians who make Bernie Madoff look like a rank amateur.   We all had money on account with "Bernie" - some of us more than others. Why should the result for the "investors" in SS be any different than those who invested with Bernie? Just because the SS fraud is run by people who can use guns to compel another group into the ponzi pyramid before it collapses, and the Bernie Madoff investors lacked such power?

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” ? Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

What other than that am I being asked to do? I am being  asked to make those who invested more and/or longer,  whole,  protecting the top rungs of the Ponzi Pyramid , while accepting not only will I never be made whole, but I have to pay to make up other's losses, and be put in an even worse position to take care of myself in old age than anyone loosing  their SS check today- because I can't save for retirement with .05% returns . .   How is that moral or Just?  

What is to be done is we all take our lumps equally  like responsible adults who were the victims of a mugging . Those who have more in also had more time to try and repeal this monstrosity, but the sentiment "yes, we should repeal it, but only after we have got ours and you pay for it"  is simply being complicit with the original crime, and buying  more time to benefit from what  is obviously an immoral and evil wrong.  If its cut off today I loose everything I put in as well, but I am not demanding anyone else pay for my losses.

"“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Weisshaupt, it pains me to hear you would gladly throw me out on the street.
Do you really believe that SS is bankrupting this nation?  Think of all the worthless
and negative money pits that could first be cancelled.  And how about the money SSers
have paid in, would you cancel and refund the amount paid in with interest or just
steal it?

SS bankrupting the nation? By itself, no. But Obamacare + Medicare + Medicaid + Foodstamps +SSI and dozens of other handouts and subsidies are.   My  objection is not merely based on the cost of nor Ponzi nature of the program. The program itself is illegitimate and immoral, as are all programs of this nature.  I would still be opposed to Social Security even if it were well run, the trust fund still existed and it were not a Ponzi scheme.

1)  It provides a moral hazard to individuals to not take personal responsibility for the welfare of their own families ( as LV pointed out)  and promotes an entitlement mindset
2) The program is completely unconstitutional - there being no power to run or administrate it. This program too was found to NOT be insurance but a TAX by the Supreme court.  This progrma also started paying out immediately, but took in taxes years later.  -It is in no way different from Obamacare.
3) It is immoral to violate the rights of  others  and compel them, under threat fine ( loss of property rights),  imprisonment (loss of liberty) , or death (f you resist)  to contribute to a program (loss of the right of association) to a program they find morally reprehensible ( right of Conscience and the basis of why the Amish to this day do NOT pay into this system)

But yeah, its also immoral because its  Ponzi scheme.

Its probably more accurate to state that I would simply cut off your checks - being thrown to the street as a consequence  would  be a result of  your own decision to not prepare for your retirement adequately, and decision to instead  accept  blood money collected at gunpoint from the  Fed as "charity"

Social Security is  not "paying you back" or "paying out benefits for they owe you nothing. The  Supreme Court s ruled that this was the case, and it has been for all of your natural life. . What you paid all of your life was a tax, with no guarantee or legal promise of benefits.  That is why they can cut or raise benefits as  they wish today.   Given that  there were no guarantees regarding  benefits, there was ample fore-warning that they should not be depended upon.  The bottom line is  each and every  check you  now get is simply money stolen from me, or from my children. Your money is gone. It was stolen and spent.  Is it any surprise that I lack compassion for the people willfully supporting and advocating that  using government power be used to  steal money from me and mine?

If you read the Supreme Court decisions  they are soundly based on "the Public Welfare" (using the preamble to explain what the enumerated powers are for to give the Fed a new power) - its pure "Gemeinnutz geht vor Eigennutz" philosophy  - that individuals may be sacrificed for the common good, and each check you benefit from is demanding my sacrifice to provide it - and it will never be my turn to be a recipient of the "common good" - its no longer for the general welfare, but for the specific welfare of a specific segment of the population at the expense of everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone here collecting Social Security and getting as much of their earnings back from this corrupt monstrosity of a system as they can. I advocate going on the dole and doing as much as possible to do so,  but you should not pretend that there is anything noble or good about that system, or that you are "entitled" to a single dollar you are getting.  No one getting a payout from the government is entitled to that money.  Yes, it might be money that USED to be yours. But it isn't now.  And saying you are "owed it" is like going up to the first stranger you meet after you have been  mugged and demanding he give you his wallet , simply because you were mugged.   Two wrongs do not make a right.  And sure, there are many other things that could be cut long before SS. SS isn't a critical driver as of yet, and other, similar, programs are likely to bring the system down long before it is.  But the fact remains that any system that sacrifices the rights of individuals for the  "common welfare" is morally  wrong, bound to become  corrupt,  and embodies the very  essence of evil -  that some have the right to enslave others.  No one can morally vote to perpetuate this system one second longer. Go ahead and  Milk it while it exists, but it should be abolished in-total at the first opportunity. (but as I original said, the opportunity won't be coming. )
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:05:01 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
If it were up to me I'd set a deadline for the last day of SS.  "Heads up,people, it ends in "X" months or X years--so get ready." No phase out-- just one day and it's done.

Heck, people think a snow storm is coming they rush out to the store to get ready for it so they can do the same for the end of SS.  Of course, they buy stupid stuff for a snow storm like frozen food but I can't help stupid.

Agreed. Our "Christian duty does not enable laziness, alcoholism, drug-abuse, or irresponsibility. All of those are encouraged by liberal programs.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »
Scored a 68.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »
My only hope/desire/expectation was that SS would last long enough to see my folks through. I've never believed that it would last for me.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
I took that a few days ago and scored a 72, IIRC.

You and I have pretty much tracked a parallel path since we first met on the Powerline forum.

That's an interesting thing to ponder, since I know that my own ideology and views have transformed a great deal over that span of time. I wonder how many other Americans would say the same thing, if somehow we were all to compare notes?

That would be a good thing to know - because if anything is to change peacefully, we're basically going to have to see something like what we saw in Egypt yesterday: 17,000,000 people in the streets, making a concrete ultimatum, and accepting no compromise against tyranny.

There are times when I think that if only everyone who sees things the way we do would simultaneously understand the sheer numbers of us who are basically united for liberty, we could take this country back and restore constitutional government with relative ease. But as it is, everyone is waiting around for some sign that acting boldly will not leave one dangling alone on a limb.

I came up with a viable solution last year requiring at least two million protesting constantly every day for a month plus. Share it responsibility with friends so you can swap for intervals to keep the visuals the same. No takers. I proposed to to more than one leadership and got nothing.

I just think, they really don't give a rat's ass or they're actually earning a living from this sh*t and that pissed me off even further. I knew most of "US" worked for a living so I designed it around that premise but I'm not the talker or writer you are IDP, so that was that.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

"SS isn't a critical driver as of yet, and other, similar, programs are likely to bring the system down long before it is."

Right, it is a virtual strawman; it's a distraction, a siphon of energy and concentration from the many more needy entitlements and blood sucking alphabet agencies that deserve the ax.  It's also the most entrenched gaining 10,000 new members a day while many of the more recent, 1964 forward, are falling more and more into general disfavor and more vulnerable to elimination.  However, if one believes all is to fail, why care about it at all.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »

"SS isn't a critical driver as of yet, and other, similar, programs are likely to bring the system down long before it is."

Right, it is a virtual strawman; it's a distraction, a siphon of energy and concentration from the many more needy entitlements and blood sucking alphabet agencies that deserve the ax.  It's also the most entrenched gaining 10,000 new members a day while many of the more recent, 1964 forward, are falling more and more into general disfavor and more vulnerable to elimination.  However, if one believes all is to fail, why care about it at all.

In order that the same mistake not be repeated in the future.

Charles, do you have children?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »

Whether one has children or not has no bearing on the belief that all will fail.
If all fails there will nothing.  Nothing for anyone who survives, child or adult,

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
One day, we will all be the perfect libertarians......not that we embrace thier every believe, but for the reason all social programs will collapse under thier own weight at some point. Presto, we will be in that special place, embraced by the most strident libertarian.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.