Author Topic: In 'Chap-Hop,' Gentlemen Rappers Bust Rhymes About Tea, Cricket  (Read 1447 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
BRIGHTON, England—For some British rappers, nothing goes better with laying down rhymes than a gin and tonic and a Sunday afternoon stroll.

They have created chap-hop, fusing the American urban musical genre with the imagined lifestyle of the British upper classes. And this coastal town, with its candy-colored Victorian villas and seafront promenade, is the setting for the latest hip-hop feud.

In chap-hop videos, hip-hop tropes are subtly undermined: Barely clothed models are replaced with a ladylike redhead in a summer frock, cricket bats are substituted for uzis.

Professor Elemental, a self-styled "Steampunk Mad Professor" and leading chap-hop MC, is one of its top exponents. He is easy to spot in the Marwood Café here, even amid its décor of spectacle-wearing stuffed owls and dismembered mannequins. Clad in Victorian-explorer garb, complete with pith helmet, he is eager to talk about his planned trip across the Atlantic.

"I'm going to break America, and ride it like a pony," Elemental—real name Paul Alborough—explains while sipping English Breakfast. "Global domination, then a nice sit down and a cup of tea."

Video at the link.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: In 'Chap-Hop,' Gentlemen Rappers Bust Rhymes About Tea, Cricket
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
He ain't gonna break sht over here, fckin bigmouth limey.  He ought to stay the hell home and break those who are demographing him out of his own country.

I couldn't get the video to play.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
Too bad.  The video works for me.  It's a sort of polite, upper-class British rap.  The song is an ode to tea.  No profanity at all.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

"I say ooh long, you say no.
"Ooh Long." "No."

Oh yeah, give me that Orange-Pekoe cut black tea.
And at two put a twist of lime in that tonic.