Author Topic: O Noes! Wild West comes to North C'lina  (Read 2354 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
O Noes! Wild West comes to North C'lina
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
Thanks to GrassRoots North Carolina ....

..... the North Carolina legislature just moved to expand their own gun laws and allow for concealed carry — not just in “bars” — but in public recreation areas and to allow concealed permit holders to at least keep their firearms in their locked vehicle.

The Republican-backed bill approved by both the House and Senate on Tuesday allows concealed-carry permit holders to take firearms into bars and restaurants and other places where alcohol is served as long as the owner doesn’t expressly forbid it.

The measure will also allow concealed-carry permit holders to store weapons in locked cars on the campus of any public school or university. Guns will also now be allowed on greenways, playgrounds and other public recreation areas. …

“Responsible people are generally the ones who have concealed carry,” said Rep. John Faircloth, (R) District 61. “They don’t want to get in trouble. They don’t want to ruin what they know was a good constitutional right.”

The measure now heads to Republican Gov. Pat McCrory’s desk.

Gov. McCrory is expected to sign the measure, effectively allowing North Carolinians the opportunity to take a more proactive role in both self-defense and the safety of their communities.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: O Noes! Wild West comes to North C'lina
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
North Carolina is headed in the right direction on a host of fronts. Jason Lewis has been doing an excellent compare/contrast recently with what is happening in North Carolina after emerging from its Democrat hegemony stupor, vs what is happening in Minnesota under our new complete Democrat controlled government. He's lived and broadcasted from both places, so it's been very interesting to hear him parse it out.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »
Thanks to GrassRoots North Carolina ....

..... the North Carolina legislature just moved to expand their own gun laws and allow for concealed carry — not just in “bars” — but in public recreation areas and to allow concealed permit holders to at least keep their firearms in their locked vehicle.

The Republican-backed bill approved by both the House and Senate on Tuesday allows concealed-carry permit holders to take firearms into bars and restaurants and other places where alcohol is served as long as the owner doesn’t expressly forbid it.

The measure will also allow concealed-carry permit holders to store weapons in locked cars on the campus of any public school or university. Guns will also now be allowed on greenways, playgrounds and other public recreation areas. …

“Responsible people are generally the ones who have concealed carry,” said Rep. John Faircloth, (R) District 61. “They don’t want to get in trouble. They don’t want to ruin what they know was a good constitutional right.”

The measure now heads to Republican Gov. Pat McCrory’s desk.

Gov. McCrory is expected to sign the measure, effectively allowing North Carolinians the opportunity to take a more proactive role in both self-defense and the safety of their communities.

Yes, yes, yes, I heard the good news on the way to work this morning. Triple  ::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
North Carolina is headed in the right direction on a host of fronts. Jason Lewis has been doing an excellent compare/contrast recently with what is happening in North Carolina after emerging from its Democrat hegemony stupor, vs what is happening in Minnesota under our new complete Democrat controlled government. He's lived and broadcasted from both places, so it's been very interesting to hear him parse it out.

Yeah Jason Lewis had a popular talk show in Charlotte several years ago.  He still makes an occasional "appearance" by phone.

I am of course pleased with the passage of the omnibus gun bill. Unfortunately, they stripped the provision to eliminate pistol purchase permitting, under pressure from the Sheriffs Association. But, I'll take this as a substantial win. We can work on getting rid of that anachronism at another time.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
"Pistol Purchase Permit Burdens Lowered:

Prohibits sheriffs from limiting the number of permits issued;

Prohibits additional fees for permits;

Requires sheriffs to list statutory reasons for denial;

Requires sheriffs to keep de-identified records on why permits are denied; and

Places the burden on sheriffs to revoke permits from those commit disqualifying offenses."

Not perfect, but not bad.  Do as the Left does; get from the enemy what one can and come 'round next time for more.  Ever onward!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »

Places the burden on sheriffs to revoke permits from those commit disqualifying offenses."

Not perfect, but not bad.  Do as the Left does; get from the enemy what one can and come 'round next time for more.  Ever onward!

You have to have a permit to PURCHASE a handgun?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »

You have to have a permit to PURCHASE a handgun?

Unless one has a Concealed Carry Permit, yes.  However .......... not being a NC native, and being a NJ native, where pledging the life of one's first-born -- and for neither love nor money -- won't attain "permission" to buy a gun unless one is connected, it seemed a not-bad deal.  Until one becomes more ... er ... radical in one's beliefs about one's rights and the overstepping of government.

Savvy?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
It's a leftover Jim Crow law. That part never gets mentioned though. It's a pointless bureaucratic exercise, and the Sheriffs Association's opposition to repealing it is (I suspect) motivated mostly by wanting to preserve a revenue stream for their departments.

Pan is exactly right, this was an example of using the Left's tactics against them. We go for the full enchilada, then accept 90% of it whilst pissing and moaning about how we were denied that last 10%, then we go for the remainder at a later time. This isn't to say I wouldn't have gladly taken 100% right now, but I think this is a template of how we could be doing lots of other things. As much as I rail on the GOP, some of its state level organizations actually have their poop in a group. And if there is to be even the slightest hope of political salvation, it's going to come from the states not DC.

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
It's a leftover Jim Crow law. That part never gets mentioned though. It's a pointless bureaucratic exercise, and the Sheriffs Association's opposition to repealing it is (I suspect) motivated mostly by wanting to preserve a revenue stream for their departments.

Pan is exactly right, this was an example of using the Left's tactics against them. We go for the full enchilada, then accept 90% of it whilst pissing and moaning about how we were denied that last 10%, then we go for the remainder at a later time. This isn't to say I wouldn't have gladly taken 100% right now, but I think this is a template of how we could be doing lots of other things. As much as I rail on the GOP, some of its state level organizations actually have their poop in a group. And if there is to be even the slightest hope of political salvation, it's going to come from the states not DC.

Hear! Hear!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Now if we can get the courts to overturn MD anti gun CC law which currently states that you must have a seriously good reason to conceal carry like handling copious amounts of cash for legitimate business etc....But shouldn't living or entering the city limits of Baltimore be reason enough?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Should be more than enough Warp, but only recourse right now is to boycott those areas as best one can.

Glad to see NC going the right direction.  In Minnie we just have to survive the long night of the leftist zombies running things...and hopefully get a Gov and one of the chambers out of insane hands...no guarantee there...the only guarantee will be my ass leaving if things head worse...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:26:47 AM »
Now if we can get the courts to overturn MD anti gun CC law which currently states that you must have a seriously good reason to conceal carry like handling copious amounts of cash for legitimate business etc....But shouldn't living or entering the city limits of Baltimore be reason enough?

You would think!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

Glock, you want to know why the Pistol Permit wasn't repealed?

"In an interview with Bill LuMaye of WPTF, Governor Pat McCrory claimed he will sign House Bill 937. The question is, can we take his word for it? After all, in the election he claimed he wouldn't play politics with your rights...

Below you will find contact information for McCrory along with a recommendation that you tell him you want actions, not words. Moreover, reports indicate that HB 937 phone calls are running 50-50, so even if you already called, call again!

First, please accept my thanks for the gratifying response to Tuesday's initial news. It was actually strong enough to overwhelm our website server, so if you were unable to get through, please try again. (Volume remains strong, so please keep trying.)

How HB 937 almost died...

As you recall, House Speaker Thom Tillis (R-Mecklenburg, GRNC ****) initially stripped restaurant carry out of House Bill 17, allowing the bill to leave committee containing only concealed handgun/purchase permit privacy.

Supported by GRNC, however, Rep. Larry Pittman (R-Cabarrus, ****) threatened a floor fight to return the measure. As pressure from gun owners and his own caucus continued to build, Tillis eventually tasked Reps. Jacqueline Schaffer (R-Mecklenburg, ****) and Justin Burr (R-Montgomery, Stanly, ****) to draft a bill containing restaurant carry, state parking lots and limited campus carry (universities only). To Tillis' credit, he and Rules Chair Rep. Tim Moore (R-Cleveland, ****) whisked it through the chamber, avoiding weakening amendments.

Once HB 937 went to the Senate, however, Senator Buck Newton (R-Johnston, Nash, Wilson ****) dramatically expanded the bill to improve virtually all aspects. Under the leadership of Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger (R-Guilford, Rockingham, ****) and Rules Chair Tom Apodaca (R-Buncombe, Henderson, Transylvania, ****), the Senate promptly sent the bill back to the House for a concurrence vote.

Then the problems began. The NC Sheriffs' Association, apparently motivated by money and power, objected to the purchase permit repeal added in the Senate. Governor Pat McCrory (R, ***) immediately buckled and Tillis, apparently loath to cross the Governor, formed a plan to replace the purchase permit repeal with a "study committee."

On the Senate side, Newton correctly noted that a bill should not, in good conscience, be passed which allowed the flawed and archaic purchase permit system to remain in place. With GRNC input, Newton began putting together stronger alternatives than a study committee.

In negotiations, the House wanted a "pre-conference" resolution of differences before bringing the bill to a vote, but the Senate insisted the House take a concurrence vote and, if they failed to concur, differences would be resolved in conference committee.

Meanwhile, with adjournment pending the clock was ticking. As a means of breaking the impasse, GRNC shopped to the Speaker's office (and got support for) a partial purchase permit repeal.

But then the NRA stepped in, not only repudiating the partial repeal but also endorsing Tillis' (and the sheriffs') study committee. Provided cover by a major gun rights organization, the House dug in its heals.

In response, GRNC pressured both sides to come to a deal, noting that Republicans would be held responsible if the bill failed. Distributing alerts at three gun shows and sending more than 300,000 email alerts to North Carolina gun owning voters, your input flooded email inboxes and shut down phone lines for two successive Monday mornings.

The result, while not the full purchase permit repeal we sought, is considerably stronger than the "study committee" sought by the NC Sheriffs' Association. Moreover, all other provisions of the stronger Senate version remained intact.

Contact Gov. McCrory ASAP!

Immediate action is required:

TELL GOV. McCRORY THAT ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS: Call him at 919-814-2000 at 9:00 AM on Monday and email him at: governor.office@nc.gov.

SIGN THE GRNC PETITION TO McCRORY: Go to: http://grnc.org/pass-h937. Whether or not you have already signed it, forward the link to others and have them sign.

JOIN OR CONTRIBUTE TO GRNC: We are member-funded and depend on you to give us the resources necessary to defend our rights. If you have joined or contributed, GRNC thanks you. If not, please go to: http://www.grnc.org/join-grnc/contribute.

Thanks to you, we are close to an enormous victory. Now it's time for the final sprint across the finish line.

Armatissimi e liberissimi,

F. Paul Valone"

The NRA, that's why.  Any progress made on gun rights in this state is purely due to Paul Valone and GrassRoots, and every time there's been an obstacle, there's an NRA wienie in the soup.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
Which is the reason I walked away from them...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »
Thanks for that info Pan. Something wasn't quite passing the full smell test when the NRA sent out this alert about 2 weeks ago:

Today, the North Carolina House of Representatives voted 100-14 to not concur with the Senate version of an omnibus firearms reform bill, House Bill 937.  H 937 will now be sent to a House-Senate Conference Committee to resolve the differences between the two versions of this bill.  This was not an anti-gun vote, as H 937 had stalled due to the North Carolina Sheriffs' Association objecting to the provision that would repeal the outdated and unnecessary state law requiring anyone who wishes to purchase a handgun to first obtain a permit from her or his county sheriff.  The non-concurrence vote was necessary to move H 937 forward since there was some confusion among state legislators regarding this particular provision.

Now that H 937 will be considered in a conference committee, the NRA will continue to work directly with state legislators to ensure that this bill is passed and enacted this year.  The NRA will oppose any efforts to weaken any provision of H 937.  While we remain committed to repealing this obsolete and inefficient requirement, our primary goal for this year is to pass and enact the most comprehensive pro-gun version of H 937 possible.

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:23 PM »
Got word that the Gov signed it! woo hoo!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »

Yes, he did.  Did you hear what you thought was thunder couple days ago?  It was progressive heads 'sploding all over the place.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:55 AM »

Yes, he did.  Did you hear what you thought was thunder couple days ago?  It was progressive heads 'sploding all over the place.
Must have been some mess to clean up skull, blood and brains. I suppose it's a good thing, progressives and the like have limited cranial capacity. ::hysterical::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »

Must have been some mess to clean up skull, blood and brains. I suppose it's a good thing, progressives and the like have limited cranial capacity. ::hysterical::

It was numerous tiny messes.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 07:09:26 AM »

Oh, come now, surely you overestimate how much brain matter there really is!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.