Author Topic: NeverWet  (Read 984 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
NeverWet
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Basically it looks like Rust-Oleum has invented the ultimate water repellant - in a spray can. They call it "Super-hydrophobic coating". (Not related to rabies, I hope)

There's a video at the link. Prepare to be amazed at the manifestation of some brilliant R&D team's dream. Pay particular attention to the toilet-bowl brush example for a look at how mind-boggling this new technology is, and how the typical methods of water repellence will likely be changed forever. I think a lot of factories are about to get retooled, and Rust-Oleum is about to get a whole lotta huge industrial orders.

Someone invented magic and it's freaking us out
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:40:43 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: NeverWet
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
Basically it looks like Rust-Oleum has invented the ultimate water repellant - in a spray can. They call it "Super-hydrophobic coating". (Not related to rabies, I hope)

There's a video at the link. Prepare to be amazed at the manifestation of some brilliant R&D team's dream. Pay particular attention to the toilet-bowl brush example for a look at how mind-boggling this new technology is, and how the typical methods of water repellence will likely be changed forever. I think a lot of factories are about to get retooled, and Rust-Oleum is about to and a whole lotta huge industrial orders.

Someone invented magic and it's freaking us out

Wow.. a wildly hydrophobic coating. Very cool. But I have to wonder as she sprays the cooking poans- what happens when it starts flaking and gets, you know, into your body, which happens to like water a lot.
Does it just pass through your system?  What about when you coat your house  or roof in it and it flakes off into the general environment.

I know I sound like a little envrio-wenie, but yeah,  I was exposed to enough stuff in College as an engineering major that I do have to wonder how dangerous this stuff can be. The facetious question of "How do you wash it off your hands?" isn't trivial. 

Its very cool, and I really hope that this stuff is as safe and useful as they imply , because the applications are endless. I doubt that your clothing stays flexible  and soft with it, however. And if you did spray your cloths how long they would stay protected.  Scotchguard is basically the same thing.. but it doesn't last forever.   But yeah, carpets, aprons, hats, coats.... and the building applications are legion.. . pipes with it for near friction less plumbing. Coat tongue and groove  plywood with it for a leak proof roof. Heck, it would work to fix the leaks in the greenhouse seams and protect  the wood its built out of..\]- that makes any wood treated wood in a matter of minutes....

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Love the toilet-brush fix, nasty things as they get to be.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
I wonder how durable it is.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »

I wonder that too. The name would imply "forever" since they've gone ahead and invoked an absolute.

If the answer is "a season" or "several weeks", I can think of a whole host of applications. But if you have to reapply it too often, then it's just a novelty.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

I wonder that too. The name would imply "forever" since they've gone ahead and invoked an absolute.

If the answer is "a season" or "several weeks", I can think of a whole host of applications. But if you have to reapply it too often, then it's just a novelty.

In the comments section one of the commenter said that Home Depot sells the stuff online and there are many reviews.  Not too durable is the answer, it flakes off after exposure to the sun (UV).   >:(
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »
Rust-Oleum didn't develop or invent it. Some little outfit with maybe 20 employees did. They posted the original youtube video and it went viral. They decided that they would rather invent stuff than manufacture and distribute so they licensed it to Rust-Oleum who got it into Home Depot. The inventors are working on improving the original formula...making it more transparent and durable. I remember reading that the cans are quite small for the price.

Anyway...the news is that it's now available for consumer purchase. The stuff has been around for quite a while, though.

This link has several videos including one where they submerge an iPhone underwater for half an hour. They claim that it is quite durable.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:29:54 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
And here I thought this thread was about some new breakthrough ass-wrap!   ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
And here I thought this thread was about some new breakthrough ass-wrap!   ::hysterical::

It's more like Depends on steroids.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson