Author Topic: 44 Years ago: "The Eagle has Landed"  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Magnum

44 Years ago: "The Eagle has Landed"
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
I know I am a bit late posting on the actual anniversary date seeing the Eagle landed 44 years ago on July 20, 1969 and the moon walk a day later. But  IMHO this was one if not the greatest engineering achievements in the history of the world. The Saturn V rocket if I remember correctly is still the most powerful engine ever created.

The American engineers and aviators at that time were Bad A$$es and they do not get the credit they deserve for what they accomplished.

I remember sitting with my Dad and Grandpa (watching on a black and white TV with rabbit ears).  My Grandpa could not believe what he saw. In his life time he was born when the airplane was not yet invented and now he was seeing a man on the moon.

I look now at this president and his administration and it further reinforces for me on how we have regressed as a country especially during this time. Now we pay the Russians to take us to space.

Landing on the Moon :July 20, 1969
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:59:43 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: 44 Years ago: "The Eagle has Landed"
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
I don't remember it but I do remember the space age of the 1970's.  I loved it.  I would watch what I could on tv and read all the newspaper articles.  When my family vacationed in Florida we went to the Kennedy Space Center. I've tried to share with my kids the almost magical aspect of the space age.  I'm not sure they really get it.

I only recently learned that a cousin was an astronaut. I have to say that side of the family had it share of bada$$es.   ;D :supercool:
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
The Saturn V was our biggest...Rooskies might have had a bigger rocket, but this was our big boy.  I loved watching those launches on TV.  On the night of the landing...IIRC it was after 10pm at night where we were...us kids were growing tired as the night wore on...but when the LEM descended we were glued to the TV...we almost forgot to breath, twice...once when the Eagle landed and again as Armstrong was about to step on the surface.  It was a surreal event and it's all we talked about days after.  It is one of those things that is sered into our memories.  Well, except for my little sister, she was only 3 at the time.  I was into model building as a young kid, the Saturn V was one of my favorite.  Loved the space program from then on...now...it's a disappointment and all I have are my memories of the past.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
I don't remember it but I do remember the space age of the 1970's.  I loved it.  I would watch what I could on tv and read all the newspaper articles.  When my family vacationed in Florida we went to the Kennedy Space Center. I've tried to share with my kids the almost magical aspect of the space age. I'm not sure they really get it.

I only recently learned that a cousin was an astronaut. I have to say that side of the family had it share of bada$$es.   ;D :supercool:

There is a scene in the dystopian film The Postman where the Kevin Costner character is talking to someone while looking up at the moon and says (approximately): "It's hard to imagine that Man once stepped foot on that world" and the girl he is talking to looks at him uncomprehendingly. It is with profound sadness that we are less than a generation from that place.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »
I don't remember it but I do remember the space age of the 1970's.  I loved it.  I would watch what I could on tv and read all the newspaper articles.  When my family vacationed in Florida we went to the Kennedy Space Center. I've tried to share with my kids the almost magical aspect of the space age. I'm not sure they really get it.

There is a scene in the dystopian film The Postman where the Kevin Costner character is talking to someone while looking up at the moon and says (approximately): "It's hard to imagine that Man once stepped foot on that world" and the girl he is talking to looks at him uncomprehendingly. It is with profound sadness that we are less than a generation from that place.

Aren't there people who believe that landing on the moon never happened?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »

I don't give any credence to people who claim the moon landing never happened. It would be too huge a conspiracy with too many front-line people to contain.

That said, I've seen some pretty compelling critiques of some of the photographic and video record that calls the authenticity of those particular records into question. I can't speak to the veracity of the critiques any more than I can speak to the veracity of the evidence in question. I only say it is a compelling critique of that particular record. The questions about the photo/video record are not without merit from a layman's perspective.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 04:47:56 PM »
Likewise I summarily dismiss such claims - and such people. In this case because the magnitude of the lie would have to be literally beyond belief - and secondarily because it would mean that the efforts of my pop were a lie.

We went to the friggin moon!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
Likewise I summarily dismiss such claims - and such people. In this case because the magnitude of the lie would have to be literally beyond belief - and secondarily because it would mean that the efforts of my pop were a lie.

We went to the friggin moon!

Similarly, my dad used to be very proud to announce that the company he worked for at the time was contracted by NASA to provide some components for the lunar module.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »

That first mission to the moon allowed Armstrong to place a laser reflector on the surface.  Scientists have been shooting lasers at the device ever since to do all kinds of science from more accurately measuring the distance of the moon from earth to getting more accurate measures of the spped of light.  Kind of hard to argue with physical evidence of man visiting our nearest celestial neighbor.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
That first mission to the moon allowed Armstrong to place a laser reflector on the surface.  Scientists have been shooting lasers at the device ever since to do all kinds of science from more accurately measuring the distance of the moon from earth to getting more accurate measures of the spped of light.  Kind of hard to argue with physical evidence of man visiting our nearest celestial neighbor.

And all this time I thought the rover had lost a hubcap  ;)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »

And all this time I thought the rover had lost a hubcap  ;)

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.