Author Topic: The Shutdown  (Read 4807 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Shutdown
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Here we go...

FNC has it in a red "breaking news" banner with no story attached to it. Toonces has decided that funding the military through the end of the year is giving up too much of his leverage so he is opting to shut it all down in an attempt to cow the Republicans into bending over and grabbing the ankles.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:21:39 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
Congressional "leaders" met with Duh Wun at the WH yesterday to see if they could deal.  I guess they couldn't.  Is it too much to hope that Boehner actually stuck?

Shut it down, I say.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »

Heard the White House meeting with Boehner et al is adjourned and, for the moment, Boehner stood his ground.  Per my speculation about Sunday Fox with Ryan and Rubio, internal polling must have been in their favor.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Duh Wun gave the Repub's a gift by wanting a shutdown...are they smart enought to win with it?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
57% say go ahead and
SHUT.
IT.
DOWN.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
Duh Wun gave the Repub's a gift by wanting a shutdown...are they smart enought to win with it?

He asked for it and now is the time to give it to him. Pull a Wisconsin and leave town. Go the hell home he know where to find you if he needs you.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
Let it happen !  ::devil::  ::stirpot::  ::mooning::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
LINK

The federal government appeared to move one step closer to a shutdown after the White House indicated Tuesday that it won't accept a one-week spending bill designed by House Republicans to buy more time to find a permanent budget solution, sources told Fox News.

The White House called Speaker John Boehner to tell him no deal on a one-week continuing resolution that would exact stiff demands, a Democratic congressional aide told Fox News.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
Does this mean that the Kinetic Action against Libya will cease? How's that going to look to our allies? "Leadership", it's just another word to Toonces without any meaning whatsoever. ::hysterical::

Boner should send everyone home for the next six months. Problem solved. ::laughonfloor::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »
Still time for Boner to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:29 PM »
HotAir announces via the Daily Caller that Boehner won't compromise.

Maybe somebody sent him a memo about how the people that vote for him feel.

They took a poll )(they always take polls) after Ryan and Rubio appeared on Fox Sunday.
The results surprised them.  Is this a momentary lapse? Will they fold?  ::falldownshocked::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »

The King is speaking, right now.

"inexcusable that we can't take care of last years busisness'

"Boehner et al are going to meat with Hairy and if they can't work it out I will call them back to my orifice tomorrow and if that doen't work I'll call them back again."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:14:22 PM »

The King is speaking, right now.

"Boehner et al are going to meat with Hairy and if they can't work it out I will call them back to my orifice tomorrow and if that doen't work I'll call them back again."

Boehner, Ryan and the rest should counter with a press conference on the capitol steps and just call Obama a shameless liar. Call him out. Diminish him. The office was meant for men of such greater character than he possesses, and the American people know it instinctively. Make him look like an idiot for pretending to be operating in good faith here.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »
Yeah, but the Republicans really suck at that kind of PR. It's one of those things that needs to change if we are ever to change the narrative.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »

They should thank Obama for having the courage to admit that his administration and the then-friendly Congress didn't take care of last year's business.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

They should thank Obama for having the courage to admit that his administration and the then-friendly Congress didn't take care of last year's business.

Yes, they ought, keeping in mind he said "we" but he meant "them" meaning congressional democrats.  Maybe he was expecting them to ram a budget through the same way they did O'care.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

That's the kind of thing Boehner and Ryan need to throw into Obama's face. "Yes Mr. President, we agree now as we asserted last year, that there is absolutely no excuse for the shameless irresponsibility of you and your party in not passing a budget last year when you had complete control of congress and the White House. The same political maneuvering motivated your inaction last year as is motivating your false concern this year. Now you want to appear like you are reaching out to US and WE'RE the problem??? That dog don't hunt Mr. President. You and your party haven't taken this responsibility seriously from the beginning, so now the GOP is here to do it for you. Let us know when you'd like to genuinely engage, but for now, your political posturing is not welcome."

Make him frikkin choke on his words. WHY DON'T THEY DO THIS???

ETA: If they would ONLY DARE, they would see a nation of Tea Partiers rally to them!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:47:51 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
- The Speaker told the president that the House will not be put in a box and forced to choose between two options that are bad for the country (accepting a bad deal that fails to make real spending cuts, or accepting a government shutdown due to Senate inaction), and that this is why House Republicans – in lieu of an agreement in which the White House and Senate agree to real spending cuts – are rallying behind a potential third option: a CR that funds our troops through September while cutting an additional $12 billion in spending and keeps the government running for another week.

What are they doing?  Are they trying to nickel and dime the Dems up to 61 billion?

- As he has said for the past week, the Speaker reminded those present that there has never been an agreement on $33 billion as an acceptable level of spending cuts, and that $33 billion in cuts is not enough, particularly when it is achieved in large part through budget gimmicks.  He said Americans are concerned about how much we’re spending, and how we’re spending it, which is why the House passed legislation that contains $61 billion in cuts as well as significant policy limitations on how taxpayer funds can be spent, and reiterated that House Republicans will insist that any final agreement include both significant cuts and policy limitations.

Speaker Boehner will hold a press conference at 2:00 PM today EST.

It's now well past 2.  Any new news?

Link