Author Topic: Epsilon Security Breach  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Epsilon Security Breach
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
This sucks.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/verizon-customers-exposed-massive-u-data-breach-20110405-185259-545.html

Not just Verizon either, 50 companies...my bank is one, and my primary e-mail account has already seen weird e-mails from supposed delivery companies that all look the same, same words and layout and come with an attachment.  I've been whacking them on sight without opening.  I also have Verizon service.  I can't wait to see how much crap this kicks up!

Don't these idiots know anything about eggs and baskets?!  Epsilon is a one stop shop for evil nerds!

::angry::

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Epsilon Security Breach
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
This sucks.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/verizon-customers-exposed-massive-u-data-breach-20110405-185259-545.html

Not just Verizon either, 50 companies...my bank is one, and my primary e-mail account has already seen weird e-mails from supposed delivery companies that all look the same, same words and layout and come with an attachment.  I've been whacking them on sight without opening.  I also have Verizon service.  I can't wait to see how much crap this kicks up!

Don't these idiots know anything about eggs and baskets?!  Epsilon is a one stop shop for evil nerds!

This is why I never do business on the web. Ever!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
This sucks.

This is why I never do business on the web. Ever!!

You have a bank/credit accounts, don't ya?  A lot of banks caught up in this too!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »

My exposure extends to creating an email addy in order to participate here.

Isn't the liability and risk more if one does business on the web versus them (banks etc) securing your information.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »

My exposure extends to creating an email addy in order to participate here.

Isn't the liability and risk more if one does business on the web versus them (banks etc) securing your information.

I don't know for sure.  All I know is I buy a fair amount of stuff online, have not ahd any problems.  Not have I had any problems with the few commercial online transactions I do.  And so far the only issue I have came as a result of my bank uses this outfit to do its internal marketing, so if you gave an e-mail address to them (like when you do online banking, which I love, do not miss the paper!) it had been given to Epsilon.  No financial or other personal info at risk, although an e-mail address is bad enough, I can always revert to a new one.  I have other e-mail accounts set up for other specific needs and a general one for stuff I may be dubious about handing out...but the bank has my primary and I'd hate to have to change that one, but I may.  Pain in the butt, but I can always leave it behind to handle bank traffic and set up another primary.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
I've not given my bank my email addy and I won't.  I have a phone; they can use that.

I don't conduct any official business over the internet, discounting internet ordering by credit card and haven't had a problem so far, however ......

....recently, Gunsmith's half of our American Express card bill came with a gift-card charge of $531 for some unknown woman in Utah.  What we found out here is that "disputing the charge" isn't enough, because they "investigate" and come back with, in essence, "we didn't find anything; too bad you have to pay".  What one needs to do is report it as fraud, in which case, Amex removes the charge, cancels your card and issues a new one.

Be aware, as well, that the regular charge department and the "gift card" department are two separate entities within the same company and both sets of personnel behave as though one has nothing to do with the other.

I am very disappointed in American Express over this.

Gunsmith's card number got swiped somewhere, somehow, and he now carries an anti-RFID wallet to thwart that sort of theft.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
The anti-RFID is a good idea, he could have been scanned and not even know it!  And I think the Amex Cards and others with the chips in them make it easier.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »

One may also request a card without the RFID and they will send you one without it.
They are easier to see also.

Yeah, they inquisit as if you are from funny land, "yeou don't have an email"?

I buy from an online dealer if he has an 800 number.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

One may also request a card without the RFID and they will send you one without it.
They are easier to see also.

Yeah, they inquisit as if you are from funny land, "yeou don't have an email"?

I buy from an online dealer if he has an 800 number.

That's the only way to shop on line.If they don't have an 800 # I have to assume they don't want my business. I won't be forced to compromise myself for their convenience.

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie