Author Topic: Fukushima Daiichi  (Read 1175 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Fukushima Daiichi
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:31:26 AM »
I posted this comment on another thread last night, but it really deserves its own topic.

Fukushima Daiichi is a mess, and seems to be worse than we thought a week or so ago.  That's not to say the situation is deteriorating--it isn't*--but there was more significant damage and higher releases of radiation than it seemed at the time.

I've been reading the Ticker Forum thread, which is still going strong with 289 pages of comments, and tons of links that I haven't had time to explore.  A few of the commenters are very knowledgeable.  Analog is a retired nuke plant worker, Etika is a professor of chemistry or physics (I'm not sure which), and Bigbluffer and Mikek31 seem to know a lot too.  Chimichanga lives in Tokyo.  I don't know whether he is Japanese or an American expat, but his English is perfect.  My link goes to page 289, but you can click the page numbers and look at the earlier comments.

Here is a PDF I found there.  It looks like a PowerPoint presentation, and describes the quake, tsunami, and sequence of events at the plant.  I just took a quick glance through it, but it has some technical info and lots of diagrams, photos, and charts.  It seems to be up to date as of April 4.  It's really quite accessible and is definitely worth a look.  It's 8MB, so it's better to download it to your computer rather than viewing it online.

I've looked at the PDF a little more since I wrote that, and I highly recommend it.  There's more concentrated information there than in all of the MSM reports combined.

Bottom line:  Fukushima Daiichi is far, far worse than Three Mile Island, but nowhere near as bad as Chernobyl.

*But this is disturbing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:33:29 AM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Fukushima Daiichi
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »
This is not my area of expertise by any stretch of the imagination, but I understand what radioactive elements are, what explosions can do and that leaking, venting or spewing involve various degrees not good...so cutting through the scientific jargon...can anybody say for certain what we are looking at here and what the options are going forward?  It appears to me they are in a race for containment and control, and the former appears to be bedeviling them and the latter mystifies me in terms of what is even possible.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.