Author Topic: A Legal DumbassCare Opt Out Program  (Read 3227 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
A Legal DumbassCare Opt Out Program
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
LINK

Not for everyone but it is an option:

The individual mandate in the Affordable Care Act requires all Americans to have health insurance or face penalties, but members of medical-sharing ministries are exempt from the individual mandate that will be enforced beginning in 2015.

It's there because of the work of then-Congressmen Tom Perriello, a Virginia Democrat and Sens. Max Baucus, a Montana Democrat, and Republican Charles Grassley of Iowa, who fought to add the exemption to the law. It's the same principle that allowed for the Amish to be exempted from the individual mandate—with the crucial difference that it's a lot more practical to join Medi-Share than it is to become Amish.

So...this would allow you to opt out, not pay any fine to the IRS and still be covered, sort of, for when bad things happen.

I have to say that there is a very big appeal there for me to not pay into O'BongoCare nor pay the IRS a fine.

I will be considering this when my premiums double next year.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: A Legal DumbassCare Opt Out Program
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
I requested info from the group. Never hurts to be well informed.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
hey Don share the details when you get them

tho my dh is so traditional I don't know if he'd consider something else and he had a stroke last year so not sure he'd be eligible
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
hey Don share the details when you get them

tho my dh is so traditional I don't know if he'd consider something else and he had a stroke last year so not sure he'd be eligible

Will do.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »
"Cannot use tobacco or illegal drugs in any form, or abuse legal drugs or alcohol."

http://mychristiancare.org/eligibility.aspx

And what is the definition of "abuse" for alcohol?   ::saywhat::

Screw it, I say open defiance works.  Come and fine me!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
   Catholics need not apply.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
There are two other orgs:

http://samaritanministries.org

http://www.chministries.org

So if Medi-Share isn't for you perhaps check those.

But those are the only three available. The law is that they had to be in place prior to 2000.

(I requested info, too.)
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
There are two other orgs:

http://samaritanministries.org

http://www.chministries.org

So if Medi-Share isn't for you perhaps check those.

But those are the only three available. The law is that they had to be in place prior to 2000.

(I requested info, too.)

If this is a legitimate work-round, these three entities are in for big-time change. They're about to become involved in a tug of war between throngs of people seeking a way out, and a government hell-bent on figuring out a way to punish them for daring to provide it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
If this is a legitimate work-round, these three entities are in for big-time change. They're about to become involved in a tug of war between throngs of people seeking a way out, and a government hell-bent on figuring out a way to punish them for daring to provide it.

I don't see how the government can screw with them since these three orgs were more or less given a carve out in DumbassCare. Face it, it's not insurance and isn't potentially as good as insurance can be since there is no guarantee of coverage for anything. What it is is a leap of faith which, when you think about it, shouldn't be that big a deal for a Christian. You either trust God to take care of you or you put your trust in DumbassCare.

I will be staying on my individual plan until I can't. That point will come when the premium goes up again which will be sometime within the next six months, I think. Or when I get hit with a fine because my individual plan does not meet the DumbassCare standards. I will say this: I'm not going to go on the dole through one of the DumbassCare exchanges and I'm not going to pay a fine on top of my current insurance. Up until I heard about this my plan was to just drop coverage altogether, pay the fine and, since pre-existing conditions can't be denied, wait until there is a need and then shell out for expensive (probably really, really expensive) insurance.

With this, as an option, I don't have to pay for insurance that has all kinds of BS in it that I either don't need or that I morally disagree with.

So...I will be looking into it very seriously.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:13:27 AM »
I don't see how the government can screw with them...

How about turning any given bureaucratic arm of the federal government loose on them? How about the administration "deeming" any given facet of their operation disqualifies them from the exemption? How about the IRS tying them up in court defending their exempt status? How about using the NSA's data mining to personally harass/destroy the administrators? How about blowing the astroturf dog-whistle and having people show up at the homes of the administrators and threatening their children while ObamaCare supporters in the police unions turn a blind eye? How about the EPA raiding them and stealing their assets for some obscure violation of foreign law?

I can think of many ways the federal government can screw with them, and all of the ways I can think of are already happening to other people and entities. The only common denominator is that they dare to oppose the Leftist regime in word or deed.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:39 AM »
"Cannot use tobacco or illegal drugs in any form, or abuse legal drugs or alcohol."

http://mychristiancare.org/eligibility.aspx

And what is the definition of "abuse" for alcohol?   ::saywhat::

Screw it, I say open defiance works.  Come and fine me!

I'm screwed on all counts....except drugs. Then again, this administration may push me to the point....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
Guys, if you're buying your own, why not just roll with what the dumbass' gave you?  Pay a "fine" that's pennies on the dollar to coverage, then if you get sick, buy coverage.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »
Guys, if you're buying your own, why not just roll with what the dumbass' gave you?  Pay a "fine" that's pennies on the dollar to coverage, then if you get sick, buy coverage.

Why have coverage?  Just go to the ER.  As far as I know DumbassCare didn't give hospitals the right to deny care.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:29:25 AM »

Why have coverage?  Just go to the ER.  As far as I know DumbassCare didn't give hospitals the right to deny care.

That punishes doctors and hospitals. We ought to be punishing the government.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
how is the fine calculated?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »

That punishes doctors and hospitals. We ought to be punishing the government.

Little difference between the two, hospitals and government that is.  I'm in this biz.  Most hospitals are non-profit, to maintain non-profit status and get the tax breaks you sign away any right to protest being shaken down for all sorts of community needs...and my outfit is not alone in being all-in for DumbassCare...they see some revenue better than none, and think through consolidation (the likes we haven't seen since the bank merger craze of the 80's and 90's) the shark will eat them last.  On the front end doctors will not suffer in compensation for treating refugees off the streets in the ER...as DumbassCare evolves though they'll be squeezed (like everybody else)...shattering this madness is mandatory, any and all means must be employed, targeting just the government sounds nice, but nibbling at the co-parasites is in order.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

I think it's a set amount.  Something that maxes out at $695 per single, $2,085 for a family.  Pay the fine, wait until you get sick to buy insurance seems to be a no-brainer for me.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »

I think it's a set amount.  Something that maxes out at $695 per single, $2,085 for a family.  Pay the fine, wait until you get sick to buy insurance seems to be a no-brainer for me.

It is the most logical path of self-interest, for sure, and as a libertarian minded person, I won't argue against acting in ones self interest.

But this is also what the Leftists are counting on - crashing the system with ObamaCare, and then providing single-payer taxpayer funded health care as the solution. People waiting until they're sick and then using the ridiculous "pre-existing condition" clause will accelerate the crash.

It is a brilliantly diabolical plan, isn't it? Use coercion to force people into a choice between doing something they don't want to do, or acting in their self-interest - both of which will lead to the desired end of the current system.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »

That was going to be my Plan A.

Now, I think that I might be going with this solution (a health sharing scheme) as my Plan A. Plan B would then be, if for some reason plan A did not work out...such as: It did not cover something that I really, really needed to be covered...then I could purchase insurance (after the house was already on fire) and get the pre-existing condition taken care of. In the meantime, under Plan A, I still have health coverage (of sorts) with Medi-Share (or one of the other two plans), I'm not paying some ridiculous amount for coverage that I neither need nor want and I'm not paying the IRS a fine.

Because that's what I was looking at...much like looking down the barrel of a gun...I was either going to keep my existing coverage (which is going to have its premiums double within the next six to twelve months...it already went up 50% at the beginning of this year) and pay the fine or have to sign up at an exchange for a subsidized (approved) plan.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) if my current coverage does not meet the minimum requirements of DumbassCare (and it does not) I either have to drop that plan for one that does or pay a fine. My Plan A was going to be to, as mentioned above, just drop out and pay the fine only, wait until I really needed healthcare and then get covered as a pre-existing case. I didn't like that because 1) it's awkward not being covered by anything and trying to get care and 2) it's both insulting and injurious to pay the IRS a fine just because I don't want to go on the dole.

Because that's what it comes down to unless you are pretty darned wealthy...you are either going to have to:

A) Keep your expensive (and getting more expensive) non-DumbassCare approved plan AND pay a fine or,

B) Purchase ridiculously expensive DumbassCare approved coverage (I remember reading that a "bronze" IRS approved plan would be somewhere north of  $20k/year) or,

C) Go on the dole by going to a government exchange and getting a subsidized DumbassCare approved plan or,

D) Drop your current expensive non-DumbassCare approved plan, pay the fine and wait for something to happen and then pay for coverage.

If there was another option (And who knows? Maybe there is) I didn't know what it was until now.

Obviously, I'm going to get info on all three plans and look it over very carefully before committing to one of them...or not.

But I think I probably will.

I don't want to and cannot afford to get a non-subsidized DumbassCare Plan. I don't want to go on the dole, either. I don't want to pay for other peoples' abortions, or their mental health treatment, or their sex change operation, or their maternity coverage, or their AIDS treatment, etc. Because that's why DumbassCare is so expensive. Not only are you paying for pre-existing conditions but you are paying for a mandatory omnibus plan that covers stuff that you neither need nor want nor should have to pay for. DumbassCare is truly one size fits all and they're making you an offer you can't refuse, by law.

I am fortunate enough to meet all of the requirements of these "share" plans...don't drink except in moderation, don't smoke, don't take drugs, etc...so it is a viable option.

So...this is a choice I did not know that I had.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:36:03 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
I don't see how the government can screw with them...

How about turning any given bureaucratic arm of the federal government loose on them? How about the administration "deeming" any given facet of their operation disqualifies them from the exemption? How about the IRS tying them up in court defending their exempt status? How about using the NSA's data mining to personally harass/destroy the administrators? How about blowing the astroturf dog-whistle and having people show up at the homes of the administrators and threatening their children while ObamaCare supporters in the police unions turn a blind eye? How about the EPA raiding them and stealing their assets for some obscure violation of foreign law?

I can think of many ways the federal government can screw with them, and all of the ways I can think of are already happening to other people and entities. The only common denominator is that they dare to oppose the Leftist regime in word or deed.

You are being a glass half empty person on this. I choose to think of this as God providing me with an out that He approves of. I won't have to violate His Word if I go this route. Why else would this have been put into the law unless He wanted it to be there? God chooses the kings that are put in place to rule over us (which is why I believe that He is judging our nation...he gave us King Putt) and it appears, in this case, He has also moved our legislators to (perhaps unwittingly) provide His people with a morally acceptable path.

It is not yet time for us to have to choose between taking the number of the beast or persecution but it is getting closer to that day.

And if God's hand is in this then He will thwart anyone who attempts to destroy it. As a believer I cannot think of it any other way. We either trust and believe or we don't.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:45:37 PM by trapeze »