Topics > Weather, Climate, & Natural Disasters

Natural Disaster in the National Mall Pond

(1/1)

Libertas:
"It could take several days to determine the cause of the incident."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Hundreds-of-Fish-Dead--219705881.html?update

::saywhat::

Aren't there cameras everywhere in DC?  You tellin' me Dc isn't crawling with great numbers of unwashed doing Gawd-knows-what in the pond?

Maybe algae is code word for poop? 

Pandora:
It may be a sign of my ignorance, but are there usually live fish in there?

Libertas:
No, I think it a fair question.  I have heard that sunfish (bluegills) are often put in man-made lakes and ponds to eat mosquito and fly larvae.  And the pic seems to resemble fish of that species.  I would think roughfish and bottom feeders like bullheads/catfish would control other unwanted species too, and they can survive in yuckier low-oxygen environments.  How long this has been going on, I dunno, but all the duck crap can't be too good either.  I have no idea if they filter/flush this thing or just let it go.  Maybe they'll blame it all on the SEQUESTOR too!
 ::)

AlanS:

--- Quote from: Pandora on August 15, 2013, 01:02:34 PM ---It may be a sign of my ignorance, but are there usually live fish in there?

--- End quote ---

In a pond that size, it would be hard to keep them out. Birds carry the fish eggs and transfer them where ever they go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version