Author Topic: .Three-wheel car gets 84 mpg .  (Read 3351 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
.Three-wheel car gets 84 mpg .
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: .Three-wheel car gets 84 mpg .
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
I was all ready to make some snide comment comparing this to those fugly pieces of scat "Smart" cars. But after watching the video, and seeing the sticker price, my primary reaction is that a) this is a cool looking vehicle, b) I can hardly believe the sticker price, c) there doesn't seem to be any smarmy "green" agenda, but rather a legitimate, unique, capialist-driven alternative to a traditional car.

The lack of passenger/cargo space would be an issue for me. But then, a motorcyle carries two people also, and this has more storage space than a motorcycle.

For someone who has a use for a one/two-passenger vehicle (like a motorcyclist) this could be a match.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
Never mind that, I want one of these Craziest Trike You'll Ever See - Street Legal!

Must watch this also to appreciate the whole thing: Frogman Tim Cotterill's Rocket II Trike Car Videos on StreetFire
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:43:16 PM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
Moving to "Science, Technology and Medicine" ...
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:03:13 PM »
That actually does look pretty cool.  For once they've made an ultra-small car that isn't fugly.  The big surprise to me is that it's American.  I just assumed it would have to be European.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
  And it's all American made!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
I desire one! My wife drives an hour each way to work. This would be VERY economical to commute alone in.  And I agree with IDP. This is not suitable for our ONLY vehicle, but if it lives up to what it claims, this could be a fantastic alternative.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
This car has been on my mind since I saw the video earlier this afternoon.

Think about the absolutely outrageous squandering of our tax dollars on idiotic electric cars that are ugly, expensive, inefficient, that nobody wants. They have to pay people to make them, and pay people to buy them, and when people still don't buy them, the government buys them and points to the sales numbers as some kind of success story.

Here we have what seems to be a good old fashioned American answer to a need in the marketplace: a cool looking vehicle that saves gas and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Without knowing whether government dollars were poured into R&D and production, I won't call it with certainty, but it sure seems to me like government could NEVER be involved in creating something so practical, efficient, and cost-effective.

This thing changes the game on two levels Fuel economy and sticker price. If the vehicle is as advertised, I predict that it will become dominant as a commuter vehicle, and that other companies will be scrambling to copy them.

My wife drives 45 minutes to an hour one way. I drive around to clients a lot. Commuter vehicle. Hell, I'd buy two.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »
For short commutes I like it.......but in an accident, no matter how safe it is reported to be, energy and force takes over. With that said, I drive 14 miles round trip each day. It would be a great vehicle for me, especially under 7k.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
For short commutes I like it.......but in an accident, no matter how safe it is reported to be, energy and force takes over. With that said, I drive 14 miles round trip each day. It would be a great vehicle for me, especially under 7k.

Yeah I am closer to 80 miles round trip each day and with all the zipperheads and immigrants buzzing around safety is a big concern, not to mention potential roadkill enocounters.  About the same concern as I have riding my motorcycle, but I don't ride it in winter and not sure how this baby would handle that.  But I like that this is a private enterprise working on a practical solution that isn't moonbat green-centric or sucking off the public teat.  I hope they do well and show people private enterprise does work if you let it.

Found their webpage here - http://www.eliomotors.com/my-strengths/

An inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.  (Made in Shreveport, LA)

Distribution plan not disclosed yet, all you can do is make a reservation (all in, want in, want more).

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »

Brazil....

Yep. Thats the Messeschmitt used in the Movie Brazil, modernized, isn't it.
Yeah cool. But kinda creepy too.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
Messerschmitts just don't look right without guns and wings...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
This car has been on my mind since I saw the video earlier this afternoon.

Think about the absolutely outrageous squandering of our tax dollars on idiotic electric cars that are ugly, expensive, inefficient, that nobody wants. They have to pay people to make them, and pay people to buy them, and when people still don't buy them, the government buys them and points to the sales numbers as some kind of success story.

Here we have what seems to be a good old fashioned American answer to a need in the marketplace: a cool looking vehicle that saves gas and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Without knowing whether government dollars were poured into R&D and production, I won't call it with certainty, but it sure seems to me like government could NEVER be involved in creating something so practical, efficient, and cost-effective.

This thing changes the game on two levels Fuel economy and sticker price. If the vehicle is as advertised, I predict that it will become dominant as a commuter vehicle, and that other companies will be scrambling to copy them.

My wife drives 45 minutes to an hour one way. I drive around to clients a lot. Commuter vehicle. Hell, I'd buy two.

As for as I can tell all the tech used is already existing off the shelf stuff but never used in this combination whech may explain the price.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
I still like lots of space and steel in my vehicle and I hate sitting on the ground when I drive.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
I still like lots of space and steel in my vehicle and I hate sitting on the ground when I drive.

Oh, I'm with you. Mr. Ford Excursion here. I have never liked small vehicles, because I feel like I/the family is vulnerable. I don't drive a motorcycle anymore for that reason. But the fuel economy and sticker price sure does make me stand up and take notice, and I have to say, I love the appearance.

If it cost $18,000... if it only got 40MPG... if it was subsidized by Obama... if it was fugly... no way.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:57:05 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
What I like is that they're not trying to be pretentious or appeal to some lofty BS about climate change. Just "gas is expensive and probably getting more so, so here's an option for you that is reasonably priced and doesn't require you to sacrifice as many of the large car comforts as you might expect".

I certainly wouldn't want one as my primary vehicle, but it might be a nice choice for long commutes.  I do about 50 miles a day round trip, which costs me around $40 per week in gas.  This car would run about $10-12 per week in gas, so it would save over $100 per month or $1200 per year.  With a $6800 sticker price it could become a compelling option for some people.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
My thoughts, such as they are...

There are few places I go where I live that are further away than ten miles so the gas thing is not quite as big a deal for me, personally. Another potential issue would be winter driving. I'm not certain that three wheels would be very stable on snow and ice although with the engine over the front wheels it would probably work somewhat.

But, it is interesting. I was surprised at its range, top speed and acceleration. Two passengers and no cargo space? Expected, I suppose...there have to be some tradeoffs. The price is excellent for what it is. You could buy a Harley Davidson sportster for that range but it would be useless for any cargo at all and worse than useless in rain or other crappy weather. After all, you aren't going to even attempt to drive a bike in snow and this might work...who knows? Being made in America is another similarity to Harleys. If it's made without union labor, even better.

Another issue for me would be its survivability in an encounter with a deer or elk. That could be bad, air bags or not.

My daughter might be a candidate for one in a few years when she is old enough to drive. I like the idea of her not being able to have more than one passenger. You know how it is with teenagers and cars. One passenger would severely limit her chances of getting into trouble compared with a car full of teenagers. Plus, with its low cost it might be cheaper to insure.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:26 PM »
Fed dollars may not be involved, but thanks to Bobby Jindal, LA tax payers are footing some of the bill. Besides big tax breaks..
To secure the project, LED offered Elio Motors an incentive package that includes the new Competitive Projects Payroll Incentive and LED FastStart™, the nation’s top-ranked state workforce development program. The Competitive Projects Payroll Incentive will provide annual, performance-based payroll rebates of 13 percent for each qualifying job for the first 10 years of operations; these rebates will be provided following the completion of each project year after actual payroll for each year is verified. In addition, the company is expected to utilize Louisiana’s Industrial Tax Exemption Program incentive. The Caddo Parish Commission also is negotiating potential incentives to support Elio’s redevelopment of the former GM site.

http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=3810

So we'll be footing 13% of the payroll down here. I look for this to be like V-Vehicle they had planned for Monroe, LA. The city even approved a tax hike to help fund V-Vehicle, then the company folded. The citizens are STILL stuck with the tax hike, though.

If Bobby Jindal's involved, it's gotta be a fuster cluck.

And for the record, I'm all for tax breaks for businesses. But give them to ALL businesses and don't be selective.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
Not for me.  Survivability in a crash looks to be nonexistent. 

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
I think it is ugly.
Eschew Obfuscation