Author Topic: Practice  (Read 1507 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Practice
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »
Well, I finally got the time to squeeze of a few rounds of my new Glock 20 10mm. Hit about 50% of what I was aiming at(paper target). ::whatgives:: Can't tell the range exactly, but it was a lot father then the black dude a few lanes down, he was a whopping 10 feet. ::rockethrow::

Went through one box 50 and another 50 rd box of .40 s&w. Both were CCI blazer and must have been some light rounds cause they felt about the same(what a waste, glad I didn't buy either)thanks to my brother.

When shooting my father's pistols, they all had easy 2.5 LB triggers which made it easy to hit the intended target. If cops have to use this crap without alteration, it's little wonder they have trouble hitting shot as well. ::facepalm::

Bottom, line, the trigger needs some work, one shouldn't have to work(concentrate) that hard to discharge the pistol. Did look at this 1911 Colt .45/Clark Pin gun and that was a fine trigger pull needing only a single LB. to get it done. ::thumbsup::

Looking for remedies for this situation, Pan, Glock, any pointers would be appreciated.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
Gunsmith asks does the pull feel gritty, like two rough surfaces rubbing together?  Take off the slide, look at the transfer bar (which connects the trigger to the sear) for a stamping of a + sign.  If found, this indicates it is a heavy trigger pull.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Just stick with it. The Glock trigger takes getting used to, especially if you are more accustomed to light 1911 target pistols. Dry fire practice is your friend, it can improve your mechanics to a remarkable extent. Lay a penny on the front sight and practice your grip and trigger pull until you can release the striker without the penny falling off.  You can also polish the mating surfaces of the trigger bar and connector (Google "Glock 25 cent trigger job") but I wouldn't bother with that until you've been using it for a while and still can't get used to it.  Those mating surfaces will tend to smooth out on their own over time.

As far as ammo goes, unfortunately most of the common factory 10mm is severely anemic considering the great potential of that round.  You might want to look into some of the smaller ammo companies, who are loading the 10mm to its real capabilities. Some that I'm aware of are Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and Underwood. I've never used either of those brands, but I know of them from 10mm aficionados. It doesn't surprise me that the Blazer target ammo was virtually the same in 10mm or .40. The .40 was born as a result of the lightened 10mm loads the FBI and other agencies were using.

But do keep up practice with your G20 and I guarantee you will eventually have an Aha! moment with it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:18:46 AM »
Considering that the trigger has a built in safety with it, I find it nutty to having required that much power to pull it. I'll check into the trigger interface with the bar for now. I already checked out all the of the loads from those mfg. My brother just happened to have the CCI on hand. Amazingly, it's the first time his Glock 21 was fired as well after owing it for well over 2 decades.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
Well, I finally got the time to squeeze of a few rounds of my new Glock 20 10mm. Hit about 50% of what I was aiming at(paper target). ::whatgives:: Can't tell the range exactly, but it was a lot father then the black dude a few lanes down, he was a whopping 10 feet. ::rockethrow::

Somewhere around 90% of all handgun fights are at 7 yds or less. In actuality, a handgun is made as a last defense or to buy you enough time to get to a long gun.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »

Somewhere around 90% of all handgun fights are at 7 yds or less. In actuality, a handgun is made as a last defense or to buy you enough time to get to a long gun.
True, but when I was a kid, shooting the eyes off of stuffed animals with a .357 mag was much easier with pistols messaged with trigger work at decent distances and I was still near sighted at that point but never needed corrective glasses.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Considering that the trigger has a built in safety with it, I find it nutty to having required that much power to pull it. I'll check into the trigger interface with the bar for now. I already checked out all the of the loads from those mfg. My brother just happened to have the CCI on hand. Amazingly, it's the first time his Glock 21 was fired as well after owing it for well over 2 decades.

You have to remember that part of the Glock's safety is that it is never in a fully cocked condition until right before the trigger breaks. The Glock system (and its countless imitations) is a sort of hybrid between single and double action. Each pull of the trigger pulls the striker fully back and then releases it, so that resistance you feel compared to a single action trigger is the force needed to pull the striker back against its spring. In a single action system the trigger just trips a sear which releases an already cocked hammer, so the trigger pull can be light as a feather. In a double action system the trigger has to first cock the hammer and then release it. The Glock is intermediate between the two: not a glass break trigger like a SA, but not as long and heavy as a true DA.

My first pistol was a Glock 17 that I got for my 21st birthday (which I still have and carry nearly every day) so I guess I had the benefit of not knowing how different the Glock trigger is compared to conventional systems so I never had that "this feels wrong" moment. Lots of people accustomed to traditional style triggers do take some time to warm to the Glock, and some simply never do. Only way to find out is keep sending lead downrange. :)

One other possibility in addition to what Gunsmith mentioned about the + marked connector is that your Glock might have one of the so-called New York trigger springs. These were developed by Glock in response to a requirement by the NYPD to make the trigger deliberately long and hard (huhuhuhuh), more like the double action revolvers they had used before. You can tell if you have a New York trigger spring by looking where the spring attaches to the trigger bar. The normal spring is just a metal coil, the NY springs are a metal spring housed inside a little plastic frame that is either olive green or orange. If you have one of those then yeah your trigger pull is probably something like 10-12 pounds. The normal Glock trigger pull should be right around 5 to 5.5 pounds.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Well, I got a shot off in the ar 15 yesterday, for the first time. I say shot off, because after the first shot, it jammed, and in a way I've never experienced.

It may be the ammo....I don't know. All I could find was a 556 Winchester round, 55 grain. It's what he had left after selling everything else out.

So here's the issue. Fired first shot, trigger won't engage for 2nd. pop clip out, round stuck in barrel. My son attempts to get the round to fire, but it is a no go. Disassembled, attempting to get round out. It is a live round and I got a little nervous messing with it. I couldn't get it dislodged. So..... I'm waiting on my source to take a look at it.

:'(
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
Is your AR chambered for .223 or 5.56?

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Is your AR chambered for .223 or 5.56?

Both

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
Weird. Did anything look unusual on the spent case from the first round?

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Screw it, I researched this on the internet via YouTube and Glock and the solution is the 3.5 LB connector which is an easy drop in replacement for the 2.5kg or 5Lb unit the beast is shipped with. $32.50 shipped and a few days and 30 mins assembly time, I'll have a more comfortable Glock 20  10mm pistol.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
Weird. Did anything look unusual on the spent case from the first round?

I was in the back of my property( weed and nasty) and we never found the spent case. At first we thought the jam was the spent case......And it may well be. But what we can see of the round, it appears live........But (silly me) you know what, I only had 8 rounds in the clip, I'll go count bullets. lol ( feeling embarrassed) 7 rounds, spent casing, 6 rounds, live round. ::facepalm::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »
My G21 trigger pull tension per se didn't bother me, I guess for someone who shoots as many wheel-guns as S/A's the trigger pull on most S/A's don't seem to bother me, the thing with the Glock is the striker-fire system and getting used to it, which probably has more to do with my expectations of what it is going to do before I do it...so I tend to do better when I force myself to expect nothing and let it proceed of its own...more rounds down-range as G says.
 ;D
I'll let practice smooth everything out.

As far as range distances go I rarely go further out than 7 yards, as Alan says pistols are more for close-in work, so if you can be proficient at 7 yards you'll be fine.  At 10 feet you really don't have to worry about precise aim, but then again ranges and their rules tend to instill habits not desirable in real life situations...at least ours don't let you draw and fire, another reason why having an outdoor place to shoot is valuable.

Will be interested to know how that A/R issue works out Don.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »
My G21 trigger pull tension per se didn't bother me, I guess for someone who shoots as many wheel-guns as S/A's the trigger pull on most S/A's don't seem to bother me, the thing with the Glock is the striker-fire system and getting used to it, which probably has more to do with my expectations of what it is going to do before I do it...so I tend to do better when I force myself to expect nothing and let it proceed of its own...more rounds down-range as G says.
 ;D
I'll let practice smooth everything out.

As far as range distances go I rarely go further out than 7 yards, as Alan says pistols are more for close-in work, so if you can be proficient at 7 yards you'll be fine.  At 10 feet you really don't have to worry about precise aim, but then again ranges and their rules tend to instill habits not desirable in real life situations...at least ours don't let you draw and fire, another reason why having an outdoor place to shoot is valuable.

Will be interested to know how that A/R issue works out Don.
This is my first S/A piece so I'm not used to it however, I noticed that it takes some effort to pull the thing and at about the last 20% of the pull is when the muzzle moves as I'm pulling until the firing pin is released. It could all be a physical problem with the hands, I can't be sure. I have years of abuse from physically working with my hands as in demolition hand tools and my hands aren't particularly large as I was cursed with short thick digits making playing the violin which I enjoyed a pia. We'll see what happens when I swap out the connector.

Don's problem is more immediate but without seeing it first hand it's impossible to even hypothesize. ::whatgives::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
As this is a new pistol, does it still have any of the factory lube in it?  Glock usually ships them with a sort of copper anti-seize type grease that is intended to provide decent lubrication in a pistol that might be sitting on a store shelf for who knows how long. But once it finds a new home, that stuff should be cleaned out and replaced with something better.

The most important lubrication point on a Glock pistol is where the trigger bar and connector meet, because as you've noticed that mating surface has such an influence on the feel of the trigger pull.  If you've not already done so, clean out any lingering factory lube and put a drop of oil in that spot.

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
As this is a new pistol, does it still have any of the factory lube in it?  Glock usually ships them with a sort of copper anti-seize type grease that is intended to provide decent lubrication in a pistol that might be sitting on a store shelf for who knows how long. But once it finds a new home, that stuff should be cleaned out and replaced with something better.

The most important lubrication point on a Glock pistol is where the trigger bar and connector meet, because as you've noticed that mating surface has such an influence on the feel of the trigger pull.  If you've not already done so, clean out any lingering factory lube and put a drop of oil in that spot.
Thanks much, the YouTube source was a Glock Store or manufacturer and that guy showed the reasons why and where. Education is a must in any new endeavor and a new type of gun is no different. It's good to be in company amongst millions that have this type and even better with friends and family like we have here.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
Once you install your new connector and resolved any lube issues...might want to try the penny-balance exercise G talked about.  It is perhaps something we all should try now and then.
 ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.