Author Topic: Common Core: 3X4=11  (Read 10271 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Common Core: 3X4=11
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
As long as you try hard.....

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

“We want our students to compute correctly but the emphasis is really moving more towards the explanation, and the how, and the why, and ‘can I really talk through the procedures that I went through to get this answer,’” August details. “And not just knowing that it’s 12, but why is it 12? How do I know that?”

Watch:

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

“We want our students to compute correctly but the emphasis is really moving more towards the explanation, and the how, and the why, and ‘can I really talk through the procedures that I went through to get this answer,’” August details. “And not just knowing that it’s 12, but why is it 12? How do I know that?”

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DW0VxxoCrNo

Dumbing down the schools make it easier to lead the lambs to slaughter.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Common Core: 3X4=11
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Look here, we recited (chanted, really) the "times tables" all through elementary school.  Every day.  Starting with the one times one is one and all the way up through the twelves.  There's no need today, for me, for the how and the why and "the procedures" or explanations, the answers are just there.

I hate these people.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I'd rather these idiots be beaten with 2x4's.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
So these are the same dumbass liberals constantly berating conservatives as being anti-intellectual knuckle draggers, and how we need massive state involvement in education from pre-K to post-grad because, as they like to remind us, other countries are kicking our asses in math and science.

Letting the skulls full of mush move through the halls of learning with the idea that mathematical certitudes are subject to interpretation, that's going to make Americans more competitive in math and science?

You know, it's all about creating a climate where there is no right and wrong, and it's not just limited to the moral sense of right and wrong any more. They want a population incapable of discernment, and hence incapable of ambition or self-sufficiency. When you are totally dependent on the state, there is no amount of tyranny you will not put up with.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:44 PM »
I went to the same school for 1st and 2nd grade, a different one for 3rd and a different one for 4th.  A couple days into 4th grade I realized I was supposed to know the multiplication tables.  Somehow I'd never learned them.  Fearing embarrassment I went home and in one night learned the times table.  I didn't care how or why. 

Soooo you don't need to know math as long as you can explain what you don't know.  Perhaps that explains this in another IAL thread:

In what will surely go down in history as one the greatest architectural blunders, the town of Benidorm in Alicante, Spain, had almost completed its 47-story skyscraper when it realized it excluded plans for elevator shafts.
http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=8703.msg104179#msg104179

Although I'm pretty sure the investors aren't going to care if you can reason to a faulty answer.

added:
the first time my kids used a calculator was for the ACT.  Yeah, I was a mean teacher I made them use their heads and paper and pencil.   ::bustamove::

from The Atlantic:
A few weeks ago, I wrote an article for TheAtlantic.com describing some of the problems with how math is currently being taught. Specifically, some math programs strive to teach students to think like "little mathematicians" before giving them the analytic tools they need to actually solve problems.

Some of us had hoped the situation would improve this school year, as 45 states and the District Columbia adopted the new Common Core Standards. But here are two discouraging emails I received recently. The first was from a parent:

They implemented Common Core this year in our school system in Tennessee. I have a third grader who loved math and got A's in math until this year, where he struggles to get a C. He struggles with "explaining" how he got his answer after using "mental math." In fact, I had no idea how to explain it! It's math 2+2=4. I can't explain it, it just is.

The second email came from a teacher in another state:

I am teaching the traditional algorithm this year to my third graders, but was told next year with Common Core I will not be allowed to. They should use mental math, and other strategies, to add. Crazy! I am so outraged that I have decided my child is NOT going to public schools until Common Core falls flat.

This approach not only complicates the simplest of math problems; it also leads to delays. Under the Common Core Standards, students will not learn traditional methods of adding and subtracting double and triple digit numbers until fourth grade. (Currently, most schools teach these skills two years earlier.) The standard method for two and three digit multiplication is delayed until fifth grade; the standard method for long division until sixth. In the meantime, the students learn alternative strategies that are far less efficient, but that presumably help them "understand" the conceptual underpinnings.
link

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:36:22 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
This is just great......

In a few years, these dumbasses will be working in McDonald's, counting back my change. It won't matter if you get the correct change, only they tried to give you correct change.

And I can't wait til this new math takes over banks.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »

Or is it 4X4's? I could show my reasoning for that answer to the teacher.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
This is just great......

In a few years, these dumbasses will be working in McDonald's, counting back my change. It won't matter if you get the correct change, only they tried to give you correct change.

And I can't wait til this new math takes over banks.

Oops, too late!  Neo-Keynesians love tard-math.

And hey, it's not just cash register clowns, I think these new-math morons are everywhere in government...

A swell exmaple - http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-17/hyperwhoops-californias-other-bullet-train-project-verge-crashing-and-burning

Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny said the California High-Speed Rail Authority "abused its discretion by approving a funding plan that did not comply with the requirements of the law" and has failed to identify "sources of funds that were more than merely theoretically possible."

::hysterical::   ::rolllaughing::   ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:04:36 AM »

Or is it 4X4's? I could show my reasoning for that answer to the teacher.

Works for me!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:36:16 AM »
All Haidl Obamamath

Its only a  matter of time before CPS is at me door with  a warrant accusing me of using "improper methods" to teach my chilren to read and do math.  I will ask them for proof and CPS will say - they can read and do math and any child that can do that obviously wasn't taught with the right methods.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:52 AM »
All Haidl Obamamath

Its only a  matter of time before CPS is at me door with  a warrant accusing me of using "improper methods" to teach my chilren to read and do math.  I will ask them for proof and CPS will say - they can read and do math and any child that can do that obviously wasn't taught with the right methods.

A ha!  There's the "gotchya" comeback to them - "How do YOU know real reading and math from the right method of reading and math?"!

Watch, and enjoy the head-spinning, eye-ball rolling, sputtering...if it doesn't end in angry personal attacks and an official-looking scrap of paper shoved in your face I'd be surprised...but if the later happens it's and assault and you get to defend yourself and thrash the sh*t out of them.

"As Harvey noted, you take a total deficit of $16,699,396,000,000. Next, you increase that by $97,594,000,000. What is the new total deficit? I best you said $16,796,990,000,000. But, guess what? You’d be wrong. It’s $16,699,396,000,000."

::gaah::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »

A ha!  There's the "gotchya" comeback to them - "How do YOU know real reading and math from the right method of reading and math?"!

No, that is easy.  Real Reading and Math leaves your child unable to read or compute.  Since your child can read and can compute,  they MUST have been abused. 

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »
Why is this different than outcome based education, which have given us The Dumbest Generation?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
Why is this different than outcome based education, which have given us The Dumbest Generation?

It's not.

It's being perpetuated by people who don't know how to do these things either!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »

No, that is easy.  Real Reading and Math leaves your child unable to read or compute.  Since your child can read and can compute,  they MUST have been abused.

Yeah, but how do they know that?!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »

They know it because they gave my kid a test at school they they proved themselves proficient - thus proving that I abused them, because the schools certainly wouldn't have allowed that if they could have stopped it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »

They know it because they gave my kid a test at school they they proved themselves proficient - thus proving that I abused them, because the schools certainly wouldn't have allowed that if they could have stopped it.

Still.  You just proved that you got them!  Obviously somebody at the school knew the real/correct answers, otherwise they would not be able to tell your kid was right, so you just proved that it is not impossible for the educators to not know the right answer and also that it is not impossible for a kid to not know the right answer, so their whole Common Core Crapola just got Melvin'd up around their ears!

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
Trash.  This is just trash.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
More trash:

Following are graphic and explicit excerpts from The Bluest Eye, which is on the Common Core’s list of exemplar texts for 11th graders. If you are easily offended you may want to skip them and go straight to the story. (Note from editor: Even heavily edited, this is still very graphic.)

Excerpts are at the above link.

Official reading list.

From Rachel Pulaski at Gateway Pundit:

... The Common Core recommends a book for 11th and 12th graders by Nobel Prize winning author Toni Morrison called “The Bluest Eye”.   

... The Bluest Eye depicts detailed accounts of incest, rape and pedophilia as “friendly”, “innocent” and “tender”.  The biggest issue with the book is that the story is told from the pedophile’s point of view so the reader can become a “co-conspirator” with the rapist.  The author purposely did not portray the pedophile’s actions as wrong so the reader can “sympathize” with the pedophile.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
How much you wanna bet the kids forced to read that tripe will leave those same schools without having read the Iliad or the Odyssey? Crap from Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou is peddled incessantly as if it is somehow on the same level of the hard core classics in literature, and that of course is mostly a function of the fact that they are black woman authors. Our culture, and most especially the parts of it totally dominated by liberals, has become an absurd self-mockery.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly