Author Topic: Common Core: 3X4=11  (Read 10274 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Common Core: 3X4=11
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
At times like this I am lucky to not have any kids...if I did I would no doubt be in jail for going off on these clowns.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
On the required high school list here is a so-called YA (young adult) book with a graphic description of a teen couple's "first time".  My daughter at 14 had asked me to check it for her because she'd heard of others reading it.  I wouldn't read this book.

Aren't people EMBARRASSED any more? 

Yet when some parents tried to run for school board on this issue of the reading lists they were shot down by the arrogant libs who "aren't afraid to let their kids read".

My daughter loves the real classics. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »

Many are not, no, just as neither are they modest.

Speaking of, there's a hoohah making the rounds today about Miley Cyrus' ... er .... performance ... at some music award show.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/26/there-is-really-nothing-theblaze-can-say-about-the-miley-cyrus-performance-on-mtv-last-night-that-will-smiths-family-didnt-already-say/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

Speaking of, there's a hoohah making the rounds today about Miley Cyrus' ... er .... performance ... at some music award show.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/26/there-is-really-nothing-theblaze-can-say-about-the-miley-cyrus-performance-on-mtv-last-night-that-will-smiths-family-didnt-already-say/

Saw an article about that this morning.  I've made a point of discussing Miley Cyrus in front of my daughter that still likes Disney tv shows.  I want her to learn to be a discriminating consumer and not "like" someone mindlessly because you liked one thing they did in the past. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
Hannah Montana Does MTV, Rated XXX.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »

No, they aren't embarrassed or ashamed because one of the central pillars of liberalism's assault on the culture has been to purge any notion of shame. Shame and embarrassment are the product of social judgment, and liberalism will have none of that (except their own brand, of course).

My parents talk about how in their teens and twenties people used to use the expression "shacking up" as a hushed term of disapproval for any cohabiting unwed couple. Now it's just the norm.

Yeah, it can go too far, and when it does you end up with a sort of small minded parochialism; but moving too far in the permissive direction and you end up with what liberalism always pursues, total nihilism.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »

No, they aren't embarrassed or ashamed because one of the central pillars of liberalism's assault on the culture has been to purge any notion of shame. Shame and embarrassment are the product of social judgment, and liberalism will have none of that (except their own brand, of course).

Public figures who highlight and exhibit  bad behavior in large public forums ( like Miley here) are admired, and lauded, mostly because they set the bar so very, very low for the rest of the tribe.  They haven't purged Shame, simply restricted its use for those who don't genuflect to the tribe and instead expect  themselves and other individuals to have personal responsibility  for their actions.  Such people are  axiomatically racist, bigoted redneck  haters largely because they believe they have a right to their opinions on such matters, and don't celebrate the bar being set so low. The only .  Shame in the lefty fascist  world is brought about only for refusing to be ONE OF THE HERD, for maintaining individuality and that individuals are responsible for their own actions and thier own lives. For the heresy of denying the proclamations about what  is right and what is wrong made by  the shepherd.   By not wanting to be able to escape the consequences of bad actions; By not wanting to make others pay the costs of irresponsibility; For not perceiving WORK as the enemy, decency and civility as foolish and having the audacity to actually  proclaim there is an objective reality not subject to the childish whims of the Statists you should be ashamed.

The Liberals ARE embarrassed.  Embarrassed for YOU - for thinking there was such a thing as an individual.  Yes, Shame is a product of social judgment, but by siding with the herd, they make themselves immune from such judgement  - for the herd won't ever hold you personally responsible.   Leave a woman to drown in a car, kill an intern, send pictures of your pecker out, join the KKK,  womanize to your hears content, keep bribe money in your  freezer.  You are a Democrat - all is forgiven. They give you an alibi for life. They give you freedom from personal responsibility.  Anything you do wrong is the fault of "society" and "society" should pay for it. Just like Filner's legal bills.  No raindrop is responsible for the flood. No man is an island.  No one exists without the tribe, and the tribe is all that exists.   That is why they have no standards but the double standards.

The only person who lefties think should be ashamed is the one who points out all that is Bullsh*t.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »
Catholic school superintendents in Illinois issued statement supporting common core.
link

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
Catholic school superintendents in Illinois issued statement supporting common core.
link

Oh, fer cryin' out loud!  They are lying, stupid or both!  Goals never become curriculum?  Really?  Just like appeasement never leads to good men looking away when evil is done in plain sight?

Unforgivable cowardly betrayal of youth.  They just announced they are complicit in further educational and moral decline.  Sleep well much?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
Part of me cheers this effort...another part asks "where have you been on all of the other illegal expansions of Federal power?", a common affliction these past several decades...

:'(

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
I'm not quite on board with everything stated here, but the part about schools being the equalizer and social justice.

http://alternativeright.com/blog/2013/9/1/public-school-as-redemption-of-the-poor-and-black

Seems to me that by taking away incorrect answers nobody is wrong, thus no one can be right and we are all the same.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
I'm not quite on board with everything stated here, but the part about schools being the equalizer and social justice.

http://alternativeright.com/blog/2013/9/1/public-school-as-redemption-of-the-poor-and-black

Seems to me that by taking away incorrect answers nobody is wrong, thus no one can be right and we are all the same.

Seems to me Mr. Enoch has it quite right in all respects.

"Progressives" behave as though it is expected that "the White" -- middle class values, behavior and intelligence -- will impart to Blacks by osmosis.  The intent is that all the benefit shall accrue to Blacks; whatever detriment befalls Whites is pfffft.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:08 AM »
I'm all for truth in advertising, they make manufacturers put all manner of labels and stupid warnings on their products because some busybody lifeless dogooder got the idea because of the excessively retarded and overly litigious jackasses that fail to use products responsibly...so, how about a warning label on Common Core that it is actually Communist Core and may not be suitable for the health and well-being of ANY children?!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
I like that idea, let's take it to the same ridiculous extremes too. Remember how some places were requiring pictures of diseased, cigarette-damaged lungs and other disgusting visual deterrents? I say pictures of mass communist graves, gulags, concentration camps. Post a visual warning for what collectivist authoritarianism does to the "body" of a society.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
Yeah, and if we have to be force-fed gruesome pics and footage of cancer victims linked supposedly to tobacco...fairness clearly dictates the same be allowed to be aired showing how a fetus is far from pleasantly removed from an unwanted womb, right?

Between the mass graves, gulags and tortured babies I think the appeal of leftist utopia would lose a lot of its appeal pretty quick.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
Yeah, and if we have to be force-fed gruesome pics and footage of cancer victims linked supposedly to tobacco...fairness clearly dictates the same be allowed to be aired showing how a fetus is far from pleasantly removed from an unwanted womb, right?

Between the mass graves, gulags and tortured babies I think the appeal of leftist utopia would lose a lot of its appeal pretty quick.
Picturesque!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »
A friend sent me this link and I think the whole thing is worth quoting here.
“Few people really know what is at stake in this election,” said Teiro Cuccinelli, wife of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli. “It is very important that we elect a governor who recognizes the importance of holding back the tentacles of the federal government.”

Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, the current Attorney General for Virginia, entered the national political stage for filing the first lawsuit by an attorney general against Obamacare. In the polls for the Virginia governor’s race, Cuccinelli currently trails Terry McAullife, the former chairman of the Democratic National Party.

Teiro Cuccinelli, a home schooling mother of seven, spoke to parents in Spotsylvania County, VA, Friday night about “the real Ken,” as well as her husband’s efforts to protect Constitutional state sovereignty, especially related to education.

Cuccinelli discussed the federal stimulus monies for education that—like a Trojan horse—have come with strings attached. Forty-five states have signed on to implement the Common Core Curriculum (CCC) that was part of stimulus funds. Although the Governor refused the stimulus money and the CCC, making Virginia one of the five states that has not yet signed onto to it, all students, including those in private schools and home schooled, will be affected by it because the SATs and other standardized tests will be changed to reflect CCC standards.

“The states that signed up for the Common Core Curriculum,” Cuccinelli explained, “were told—and it sounds very nice on the surface – that we are going to get everyone is on the same page. So if someone moves from Oregon to Florida, they are going to have the same education. Everyone is using the same books and all are on the same level, so it won’t be too difficult to transition. Everybody is going to be the same.”

“However, that is all the states were told,” Cuccinelli added. “So 45 states signed on to receive that money before they knew what was in the CCC.”

The Common Core, Cuccinelli continued, “was developed with no parental input, no teacher input, no administrator at the local level input. It was developed by Obama appointees in the Department of Education. In response to a public outcry, the Education Department gathered together an approval committee, which suggested many changes, but none of those suggested changes have been implemented. It is really rather shocking once you start delving into what this really is.”

“What is rather disturbing is a requirement to keep data on our children: 400 data points on our children from kindergarten all the way through high school. The data includes religion, political party, attitudes in the home, identifying marks on the body. It goes on. Why do they need this data? There is no provision to keep this information private.”

“As you start getting into the actual curriculum,” she emphasized, “it gets even worse. I have actually seen the writing program for the first grade. It reads (and I paraphrase): ‘The purpose of this program is to help children identify social problems and to use emotional language to motivate the reader to bring about the social change the child desires.’ Some of the instructions say things like: ‘Use words that generate fear and anger to get them to do what you want them to do.’ One of the exercises says: ‘My mom tells me to clean my room. My mom nags me to clean my room.’ And the right answer is ‘nags’ because it elicits anger in the reader.

“I’m not sure if you have heard of Saul Alinsky,” Cuccinelli asked, “but these are Alinsky tactics being taught to first graders and they teach them all the way through to 12th grade. Many of the states that signed up for the CCC, are now trying to get out of it.”

Mrs. Cuccinelli closed by reminding those present that education is just one issue of many, but the results of this election will have a dramatically different affects upon the Commonwealth of Virginia and all of its citizens.
link

and I spent sometime just reading about it so here's more:link
I saw for the first time this 2013 document put out by the NCEE (National Center on Education and the Economy) that says OUT LOUD that it’s not important under Common Core to have high educational standards in high school; that it’s silly to waste time educating all high school graduates as high as the level of Algebra II.

No joke. They’re pushing for an emphasis on the lowest common denominator, while marketing Common Core as a push for “rigorous” academics.

Outragous, yes. But absolutely factual: this is what they are telling America: Read these Common Core proponents’ lips:

“Mastery of Algebra II is widely thought to be a prerequisite for success in college and careers. Our research shows that that is not so… Based on our data, one cannot make the case that high school graduates must be proficient in Algebra II to be ready for college and careers. The high school mathematics curriculum is now centered on the teaching of a sequence of courses leading to calculus that includes Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus and Calculus. However, fewer than five percent of American workers and an even smaller percentage of community college students will ever need to master the courses in this sequence in their college or in the workplace… they should not be required courses in our high schools. To require these courses in high school is to deny to many students the opportunity to graduate high school because they have not mastered a sequence of mathematics courses they will never need. In the face of these findings, the policy of requiring a passing score on an Algebra II exam for high school graduation simply cannot be justified.”

(Maybe Common Core proponents better quit using the word “rigorous.”)

So, the NCEE report goes on to say that traditional high school English classes, with their emphasis on classic literature and personal, narrative writing, is useless. The report says that Common Core will save students from the worthless classics with its emphasis on technical subjects and social studies via the dominance of informational text in the Common Core classroom:

You know when you were a kid and complained "when am I ever going to need this?" because you didn't want to do math or read literature homework?  Well, those people are in charge now.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
You know when you were a kid and complained "when am I ever going to need this?" because you didn't want to do math or read literature homework?  Well, those people are in charge now.

Hoo yeah, oh so this!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
Not so fast.  I'm one of the ones that asked that question, out of exasperation.  And, when putting down a new hardwood floor lo these many years later, I got my answer.

One of the problems with the "education establishment" is that they have no good answer at the ready, it's always generalizations.