Author Topic: Common Core: 3X4=11  (Read 10268 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Common Core: 3X4=11
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
I should've clarified that.

Who didn't ask that as a kid?

But at some point you learn as an adult, working, that if nothing else, forcing your mind to think beyond your comfort zone is good in the long run besides the practical aspects.  I'm teaching my kid to sew and I love teasing her that's she's using math because she looks at fractions and says the same thing.

So anyway, it's as if some of those kids who asked that are now running things and they're still saying who needs that stuff? They don't value it because it has no value in their life (or so they think).  Because in a generation or two who will be building their homes and programming their phones for them?

(Math is as much about teaching logical thinking as it is about the mechanics.

But they're right, if all you want to do is make $15 @ McDonalds, I guess you don't need Algebra II.  Or maybe that's why people want the minimum wage raised.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:43:37 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »

But they're right, if all you want to do is make $15 @ McDonalds, I guess you don't need Algebra II.  Or maybe that's why people want the minimum wage raised.)

If that's your goal than you won't need that either. All you need is to enter cash tendered into machine and you get the amount of change if any to be given back. Machines for idiots that cannot count. ::bashing::

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:34:19 AM by IronDioPriest »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

If that's your goal than you won't need that either. All you need is to enter cash tendered into machine and you get the amount of change if any to be given back. Machines for idiots that cannot count. ::bashing::[/quote]

Neither can the kids behind the counters. I love to play with the snotty ones; if the bill's $3.78, I give them a $5.00 bill, they punch it in to the register, and then I say, "WAIT! Here's the 78 cents!"

Ever see a deer in the headlights?   ::hysterical::

edited to fix quote box; IDP
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:34:41 AM by IronDioPriest »
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

RickZ

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
Neither can the kids behind the counters. I love to play with the snotty ones; if the bill's $3.78, I give them a $5.00 bill, they punch it in to the register, and then I say, "WAIT! Here's the 78 cents!"

Even better, I'll give 'em $5.03.  Their eyes, as the register tells them to give me a buck and a quarter back in change, are like a kid watching a magic show.  How did I do that?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:25:27 PM by RickZ »

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »
That works, too!  ::hysterical::

Those brats could not survive without the computer in the registers that tells them what to do. Wait until the big blackout occurs; it's not a matter of "if," just a matter of "when." Same thing for the schools with no more requirements to even recognize a slide rule for solving math problems.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »

Even better, I'll give 'em $5.03.  Their eyes, as the register tells them to give me a buck and a quarter back in change, is like a kid watching a magic show.  How did I do that?

And then they wonder, why they only make $8.00 an hour. ::facepalm::

I remember a few years ago, local newspapers stopped printing te names of students, who made honor roll, because it made the other kids feel bad. Tough  sh*t! If you want to make honor roll, work for it!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Now there must be two valedictorians, too. One male, one female. If they're even allowed to be valedictorians; it offends the dumbsh*ts and their parent(s).

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Now there must be two valedictorians, too. One male, one female. If they're even allowed to be valedictorians; it offends the dumbsh*ts and their parent(s).

Oh good grief!

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
There will always be private schools, and homeschools.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »
They'll be 3 soon (the gays) and then 4 (the androgynous), and then...oh heck, forgetaboutit, we'll all be dead by then!

PS - Rick, just saw your newest avatar...  ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
 ::laughonfloor::

I really shouldn't be laughing at Ricks new avatar..... But it has struck my funny bone something fierce..... ::hysterical::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
someone say slide rule?

I have my dad's.  He never showed me how to use it.

The big high school in our neighborhood has 5 honor rolls. 5!!
I forgot the breakdown--each has a name but it's like all A's, all B's and then various combinations of the two

99% of the kids go on to college--mostly the big state school where they continue the same education drivel they had in high school.  So since there's no exposure to anything different they come out just as dumb as they went in.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
Re:  My avatar

To me, avatars are like hot dogs.  You eat them every day and eventually you get bored and sick of them.  Variety and Scotch Bonnets are the spice of life.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »

Becareful there. Big Brother wants to outlaw homeschooling.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »

they are constantly trying to do just that

Re:  My avatar

To me, avatars are like hot dogs.  You eat them every day and eventually you get bored and sick of them.  Variety and Scotch Bonnets are the spice of life.

hahaha

But I won't change mine!  It's of Mt. Vernon and I'll never tire of Geo. Washington!

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »

I have a lot of respect for parents that homeschool their kids. I couldn't it myself.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »

I have a lot of respect for parents that homeschool their kids. I couldn't it myself.

Been homeschooling for 21 years. Honestly I don't how parents do the public school thing. I couldn't do that.  lol 

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:02 AM »
I'd rather these idiots be beaten with 2x4's.

::thumbsup:: ...and since everyone knows that 2x4 = 88, that's how many whacks each will receive.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

::thumbsup:: ...and since everyone knows that 2x4 = 88, that's how many whacks each will receive.

Heh!  Beaten with their own math, I like!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »

Heh!  Beaten with their own math, I like!

see, math is useful!