Author Topic: Common Core: 3X4=11  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Re: Common Core: 3X4=11
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
I have always believed, in what you put into school, is what you get out of it. I have also felt that many parents don't get involved and leave it all up to the teachers. Paremts dom't need to be rocket scientis,but should do thhings with their kids outside of the classroom, like museums, etcLady Virginia, do you live near Jamestown?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
I have always believed, in what you put into school, is what you get out of it. I have also felt that many parents don't get involved and leave it all up to the teachers. Paremts dom't need to be rocket scientis,but should do thhings with their kids outside of the classroom, like museums, etcLady Virginia, do you live near Jamestown?

Nope.  But my heart will always be with the original 13 colonies. And Geo. Washington.

::USA::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »

Nope.  But my heart will always be with the original 13 colonies. And Geo. Washington.

I love history! It is on my bucket list to do  the historical 13 colonies.

::USA::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »
A long time ago...after leaving ther Navy and going to college, I went on an Art & History tour out east through a program a buddy clued me into, he was a history major.  We saw a lot and the goofy professor leading the tour got us special access to parts regular tourists don't get to see, like the Dome Room (undergoing renovation and I think the old stairs winding up there were a concern at the time) at Monticello.  Saw Mount Vernon, Jamestown, several plantations, Indpendence Hall, Liberty Bell, Franklin's house & grave, Fraunces Tavern, Freedom Trail in Boston (Fanueil Hall, Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, etc) as well as seeing the House of seven Gables, Old Ironsides.  Plymouth Rock, Mayflower.  Lexington & Concord.  Tons of places...one of the best trips I've ever had.  Being a big history buff it was a blast seeing places I've only read about.  Y'all have to hit some of these places while you can.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »
A long time ago...after leaving ther Navy and going to college, I went on an Art & History tour out east through a program a buddy clued me into, he was a history major.  We saw a lot and the goofy professor leading the tour got us special access to parts regular tourists don't get to see, like the Dome Room (undergoing renovation and I think the old stairs winding up there were a concern at the time) at Monticello.  Saw Mount Vernon, Jamestown, several plantations, Indpendence Hall, Liberty Bell, Franklin's house & grave, Fraunces Tavern, Freedom Trail in Boston (Fanueil Hall, Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, etc) as well as seeing the House of seven Gables, Old Ironsides.  Plymouth Rock, Mayflower.  Lexington & Concord.  Tons of places...one of the best trips I've ever had.  Being a big history buff it was a blast seeing places I've only read about.  Y'all have to hit some of these places while you can.

::thumbsup::

I've seen a number of those, some more than once and others not at all (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell and Jamestown). I grew up visiting a lot of historic sites.  Not sure why we never made it to Philly or Jamestown. I've tried to get my kids to some of those places though it's been hard since they're in a lot of sports and my husband isn't much of a sightseer or history buff.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/11/insane-common-core-forces-new-kindergarteners-to-bubble-in-test-answers/

This fall, thanks to a combination of the Common Core State Standards Initiative and new teacher evaluations, some four- and five-year-old students in New York City are being forced to fill in bubbles on multiple-choice, standardized tests.

The kids are doing their level best on the tests, which cover topics such as numbers, shapes and order. However, it’s going about as well as you’d expect, reports the New York Daily News.

“They’re scared,” one unidentified teacher in Queens told the broadsheet. “They just don’t understand you’re supposed to bubble in next to the answer.”

The teacher added that the kids continually try to help each other get the right answers, which is not allowed.

A teacher in the Bronx observed that the kids don’t even know how to hold a #2 pencil, let alone use it to fill in a bubble.

“They don’t know letters, and you have answers that say A, B, C or D and you’re asking them to bubble in,” the Bronx teacher told the Daily News. “They break down; they cry.”

A Staten Island teacher offered still another comically sad vignette: “We said to color it in with a pencil, so they were taking out crayons.”

Couple things I don't understand that were not addressed on either page of this article.  First, if the kid knows how to use a crayon, why doesn't he know how to use -- "hold" -- a pencil?

Second, as they don't know their letters, they obviously don't know how to read.  How and why on earth is a written test administered to kids who don't know how to read??

How many pre/Kindergarteners know how to read these days?  I never went to Kindergarten (now we know why she doesn't know how to play well with others), I went right into first grade, and I don't remember how old I was when I learned to read.  I do know it came very easily; my Mother was/is a voracious reader and so was I.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Ran across a quote from Malcolm Muggeridge (British journalist & social commentator) about "educating ourselves into imbecility." Or, if you will, 'dumbing down' - very apropos.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »
I've heard a similar one, right off hand I can't remember who said it: Some things are so asinine only a highly educated person could believe them.

(paraphrased)

ETA: ok it was Orwell, and the proper quote is "Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:17:53 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
In a critical op-ed published in the Wall Street Journal by Jamie Gass and Charles Chieppo, we learn that Stanford University emeritus mathematics professor James Milgram, the only academic mathematician on the Common Core’s validation committee, refused to sign onto the final draft.  Milgram described the Common Core standards as having “extremely serious failings” and reflecting “very low expectations.”

...David Coleman, the primary architect of the Common Core standards has become president of the College Board, “we can expect that SAT will be aligned to the standards.  No one will escape their reach, whether they attend public or private school.” Even homeschooled children will be vulnerable to the federalization of public education standards.
link

We've lamented the dumbing down for decades.  With Common Core they've effectively tossed out everything that was left that was remotely traditional or classical.

I will continue to teach my children using the same materials I bought years ago. 

http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/standard-1 This site has a bunch of short videos showing how to use the standards in the class. (If you watch grade 2 think of Pan when you hear the kids' names. lol In grade 2 by the way the students spend time explaining to each other why they did what they did on their problem. They're not to worry about it being correct. In fact, the boy says he got 79 by adding 63 + 19) I didn't make it through all the videos.  I couldn't take it.  Hey, parents with kids in public school -- is it common to have the kids do so much discussion? How do they ever get much done?

Another site to "help" teachers:
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/acre/standards/common-core-tools/ I randomly clicked on an explanation for 5th grade language arts standards.
For example:
Standard-1. Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
"Unpacking" (what they call the explanation of the standard)-Fifth grade students are required to quote accurately from the text to support their answers. “Quote accurately” may include using their own words.  HUH???

This one just makes my head hurt:
http://www.illustrativemathematics.org/
One thing I learned quickly when I started to homeschool 20+ years ago was not to buy the teacher's book (which usually cost 2 x the student book). I'm not talking about the answer key, I mean the book that tells you in excruciating detail how explain and how to access the student's work. Gee, if she gets that 121 + 43 = 164 what else do I need to waste time on?

Continuing from the same painful website:
SBAC assessments are made up of four item types: Selected-Response, Constructed-Response,
Technology-Enhanced, and Performance Task. A description of those items follows.

Selected-Response Items (SR)
Traditionally known as multiple choice, selected-response items include a stimulus and
stem followed by three to five options from which a student is directed to choose only
one.

Constructed-Response Items (CR)
The main purpose of a constructed-response item is to address targets and claims that
are of greater complexity. They ask students to develop answers without suggested
answer choices.

Technology-enhanced Items/Tasks (TE)
Technology-enhanced items can provide evidence for mathematics practices that could
not be as reliably obtained from traditional SRs and CRs. Technology-enhanced items
may stand alone or may be a tool used as part of the Performance Task and/or
Constructed-Response items.

Performance Tasks (PT)
Performance tasks, the most complex of all items, include the following elements:
• Integrate knowledge and skills across multiple claims.
• Measure capacities such as depth of understanding, research skills, and/or
complex analysis with relevant evidence.
• Require student-initiated planning, management of information/data and ideas,
and/or interaction with other materials.
• Reflect a real-world task and/or scenario-based problem.
• Allow for multiple approaches.
• Represent content that is relevant and meaningful to students.
• Allow for demonstration of important knowledge and skills.
• Require scoring that focuses on the essence of the Claim(s) for which the task
was written.
• Seem feasible for the school/classroom environment.

The Smarter Balanced summative assessments in mathematics are designed to measure the full
range of student abilities in the Common Core State Standards or Core Academic Standards
(CAS). Evidence will be gathered in support of four major claims: (1) Concepts and Procedures,
(2) Problem Solving, (3) Communicating Reasoning, and (4) Modeling and Data Analysis.
Students will receive an overall mathematics composite score. For the enhanced assessment,
students will receive a score for each of three major claim areas.
(Math claims 2 and 4 are
combined for the purposes of score reporting.)

Claim 1 — Students can explain and apply mathematical concepts and interpret and
carry out mathematical procedures with precision and fluency.
Claim 2 — Students can solve a range of complex, well-posed problems in pure and
applied mathematics, making productive use of knowledge and problem-solving
strategies.
Claims
Claim 3 — Students can clearly and precisely construct viable arguments to support
their own reasoning and to critique the reasoning of others.
Claim 4 — Students can analyze complex, real-world scenarios and can construct and
use mathematical models to interpret and solve problems.

Glossary of terms:
Item: the entire item, including the stimulus, question/prompt, answer/options, scoring
criteria, and metadata.
Task: similar to an item, yet typically more involved and usually associated with
constructed-response, extended-response, and performance tasks.
Stimulus: the text, source (e.g., video clip), and/or graphic about which the item is
written. The stimulus provides the context of the item/task to which the student must
respond.
Stem: the statement of the question or prompt to which the student responds.
Options: the responses to a selected-response (SR) item from which the student selects
one or more answers.
Distracters: the incorrect response options to an SR item.
Distracter Analysis: the item writer‘s analysis of the options or rationale for inclusion of
specific options.
Key: the correct response(s) to an item.
Top-Score Response: one example of a complete and correct response to an item/task.
Scoring Rubric: the descriptions for each score point for an item/task that scores more
than one point for a correct response.

A special thanks goes to Melia Franklin, Assistant Director of Assessment from the Missouri
Department of Education, for organizing the below item samples into individual grade levels.

Quite frankly, there are teachers today that can't add or subtract and they are supposed to know what the heck a selected response item is? They have to gather evidence the kids are meeting standards? Common on. Teacher's Ed majors in college struggle as it is.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
Ermehgawd, the whole thing makes my head hurt.  If "Selected Response" means multiple choice, why not just say multiple choice?!  This isn't language intended to convey meaning or instruction; it's buzzwords, codewords and jargon which generate my need to employ swear words.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"