Author Topic: Boy who loves to read told to stop "hogging" library reading contest  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
More liberalism on display. A public library in New York has a contest to encourage reading among kids, but one young man with a voracious appetite for books has been accused by the library's moonbat director of "hogging" the contest. She contends that the boy should "step aside" because it's not fair that other kids can't (more like won't) keep up. So she has decided that henceforth, the best way to determine the winner of a contest allegedly created to encourage reading will be to draw names from a hat at random. All hail fairness.

http://moonbattery.com/?p=35144

After liberals have deleted every word that could conceivably be construed as racist from our vocabulary, they will go after other words they don’t like — such as “merit”:

Tyler Weaver calls himself “the king of the reading club” at Hudson Falls Public Library. But now it seems Hudson Falls Public Library Director Marie Gandron wants to end his reign and have him dethroned.

The 9-year-old boy, who will be starting fifth grade next month, won the six-week-long “Dig into Reading” event by completing 63 books from June 24 to Aug. 3, averaging more than 10 a week.

He has consistently been the top reader since kindergarten, devouring a total of 373 books over the five contests, according to his mother, Katie. …

Katie said she is “extremely proud” of her sons’ accomplishments, especially Tyler for having held his title for this long.

“I’ve told them God makes all of us different. There are some things that are hard and some that are easy, but they should excel at what they enjoy doing and Tyler just loves to read,” she said. “Everybody he tells, he gets high-fives. Everybody’s so proud of him.”

Everybody, it seems, but Gandron, who was surprised to learn Katie notified a Post-Star reporter about her son being a longtime winner. During a phone call Tuesday to Gandron, the library director said Tyler “hogs” the contest every year and he should “step aside.”

“Other kids quit because they can’t keep up,” Gandron said.

Gandron further told the reporter she planned to change the rules of the contest so that instead of giving prizes to the children who read the most books, she would draw names out of a hat and declare winners that way.

Soon liberals will consolidate their totalitarian grip on sports, and we will no longer have to worry about excellent teams causing other teams to quit because they can’t keep up. Champions would be chosen at random, except that might allow lucky teams to have an advantage. More likely, the championship for all sports will rotate, so everyone is guaranteed a turn. That way no one will have their feelings hurt, and no one will have to exert any effort.

The lovely librarian, Madam Handicapper General:

And do be sure to visit the library's website: http://hudsonfalls.sals.edu/
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Boy who loves to read told to stop "hogging" library reading contest
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
Bet she wouldn't be upset if it was a girl who kept winning instead of a boy.

Oh, and from other accounts, the witch declared that since the mother has gone to the media, now she can't change the contest rules.  Boo-hoo.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Oh, and from other accounts, the witch declared that since the mother has gone to the media, now she can't change the contest rules.  Boo-hoo.

Running from the light like a cockroach.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »
 ::bashing::  ::bashing:: ::bashing:: ::bashing:: ::bashing::

comments are closed at the library for this post 

and the worst library website!

BUT I found her email! haha
under hours and location

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »

Yes. A girl or, well, you know....
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »
I emailed her.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »

Yes. A girl or, well, you know....

...a girlish boy?   ::hysterical::

Ya just knew this was going on in a traditional libiot state too, didn't ya?

And hey, you think this librarian ever dated...a man?

Anyway...penalizing reading, now that is progressive, eh?   Don't miss your ride, sweetie!   ::bus::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:48 AM »
http://poststar.com/news/local/librarian-suggests-turning-the-page-on-longtime-reading-club-winner/article_bdbebbc6-0625-11e3-b6f4-0019bb2963f4.html

The expanded article with this tidbit.

Lita Casey, an aide at the library for 28 years, said she is usually the person who asks the questions to determine whether the children have done the reading. She keeps track of the number of books for each student and submits it to Gandron.

Casey said she enjoys working with all the kids at the library and doesn’t want her job to be in jeopardy, but she feels Gandron’s plan to change the rules of the contest are “ridiculous.”

Casey established a special relationship with the Weaver boys, who call her “Gram,” because they are frequent visitors to the library.

My guess that "Gram" is just a normal grandma, with a passion for being the town's "gram."  Anther guess is that Marie L. Gandron is a professional librarian, with all that baggage that comes with that title.  Librarians being afflicted with the disease of leftism, if you've ever paid attention to the vile garbage that comes out of their professional organization.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
Why don't they just give EVERYBODY a prize. Isn't that they way they operate anyway?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Good point, the everybody-wins-nobody-is-a-loser crowd is usually all over that.  Must have slipped their minds... (and that ain't all that's slippin'!)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Well, as I expected I didn't get a response to my email.  But I'm sure she read it.  She's a librarian she wouldn't be able to resist reading it.   :D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
Just give it a few more days...if truly a typical thin-skinned libiot, even the most benign of criticisms will be internalized as a terrorist threat and a State Trooper will be calling on you.  And I am serious, it's happened to me before.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
Just give it a few more days...if truly a typical thin-skinned libiot, even the most benign of criticisms will be internalized as a terrorist threat and a State Trooper will be calling on you.  And I am serious, it's happened to me before.

Did you use your usual wit and charm? ::laughonfloor::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:26 PM »
That this young man is reading is great, bit I hope his parents are encouraging him to do team sports and other activities. Another curious thought. Is he reading books at his age level?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
As he reads a lot, I figure he's reading above his age level, and that's a good thing.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
It wouldn't be a problem if he was reading up on how to be a gender reassignment surgeon, or a world-class abortionist now would it?
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
As he reads a lot, I figure he's reading above his age level, and that's a good thing.

Yes it is. Not everyone is an avid reader, and the librarian needs to understand that.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

Did you use your usual wit and charm? ::laughonfloor::

Fortunately I didn't have to...the first words out of his mouth were "...I know this is ridiculous, but I'm just doing my job..."  all I had to do was agree with him "yes, it is ridiculous", and it turns out he lived near my neck of the woods and had the same complaint as I.

IIRC I used words like "...heads should roll over this..." in my complaint to the thin-skinned faceless state bureaucrat I was peeved with.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:43 AM »
It wouldn't be a problem if he was reading up on how to be a gender reassignment surgeon, or a world-class abortionist now would it?

Is the Anarchist Cookbook in circulation still?  Maybe they'd be OK with that too.