Author Topic: HUh?! Beck Leaving Fox?!  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
HUh?! Beck Leaving Fox?!
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
Drudge has the blue light flashing!

http://www.drudgereport.com/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: HUh?! Beck Leaving Fox?!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
No story; just the headline.

I ain't buying it until .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
Sounds to me like a move onto another phase rather than some kind of ratings fallout or personality-driven ouster.
[blockquote]"Fox News and Mercury Radio Arts, which have sometimes clashed over the making of “Glenn Beck,” will “work together to develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the Fox News Channel as well as content for other platforms including Fox News’ digital properties,” the companies said in the statement.

As expected, a senior Fox News executive, Joel Cheatwood, will join Mr. Beck at Mercury Radio Arts starting later this month."[/blockquote]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
That's what it looks like to me as well.  Perhaps Beck realizes he's done all he can do, for where he is, and a new phase with a different format is in order.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
I'd like to see them give Brit Hume an hour for topical discussions ... If he'd do it ... which I doubt .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
Yeah, that blue light goes flashing at Drudge you don't really know if it bodes well or ill.

I think he'll move on to another project.  He doesn't fit the quiter mold.

We'll see what Fox does with his slot.

They still need to get rid of Shep though!   ::puke::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
That's what it looks like to me as well.  Perhaps Beck realizes he's done all he can do, for where he is, and a new phase with a different format is in order.

His show has evolved in the short time it's been on the air. It has become a single-minded effort at researching the connections between the world's anti-American forces. Not exactly the best format for a daily TV program. The work he's doing would be far more suited to special television events, exposes, and perhaps even documentary feature films. I'm guessing that both parties came to the conclusion that the format of the daily TV show had no long-term future, regardless of respectable-yet-declining ratings. A plan to move forward makes perfect sense, now that they've made the decision to do it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
I'd like to see them give Brit Hume an hour for topical discussions ... If he'd do it ... which I doubt .

he's done retired. Other than being here and ther he made his money and that's that. I like him a lot.

I'm not happy about Beck at all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
That's what it looks like to me as well.  Perhaps Beck realizes he's done all he can do, for where he is, and a new phase with a different format is in order.

may I suggest............

pitchforks
tar
feathers

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
I'd really like to see Mark Steyn get some kind of show of his own. I get the impression, though, that Steyn isn't the sort who would want to do a daily show in a particular format.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
Drudge has the blue light flashing!

http://www.drudgereport.com/
Welcome to I Don't Trustmart
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
New phase yes All He Can Do? Your guess is as Bad as mine! ::thinking::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

he's done retired. Other than being here and ther he made his money and that's that. I like him a lot.

I'm not happy about Beck at all.

I'm not either. Beck was the one draw to Fox for me. Hannity is a nice guy but boring. Greta is grating. And Blockhead is...well...a blockhead. Since I gave up the boob-tube I have been able to find all that I need information and news-wise.

I love the gloating over at mediaclutter site. They think they've won something.

My plan edges closer to fruition.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
Has he offered any explanation?

I would theorize (regardless of the official story) that the workload was too much. I think that Rush Limbaugh came to this very realization with his own foray into television.

Let me expand on that theory a bit: The workload was also too much for a quality product. I don't care how talented you are. You can only spread the talent so far before it gets noticeably thin. So there are actually two things that are at work. Exhaustion and the unfulfilled demand for high quality.

Beck has to get up early enough to properly prepare for a three hour radio show. Sometimes there is a fourth hour for internet subscribers to his website. Then it's off to do show prep for the tv program. He is intimately involved in the production of all of this. If you believe the hype, he also does quite a bit of his own research which would involve untold hours of reading and, in some cases, interviews with newsmakers.

It's just too much for one person. Too much if you care about a quality product and your sanity. And your personal life.

You see, O'Reilly and Hannity can do this all day long because they don't care too much about quality. O'Reilly will listen to his producer (on a given topic) for a few minutes form a snap opinion and then ad lib through it as if he knows more than his guests. Hannity does much the same thing except for him it's all about talking points. He memorizes talking points on various subjects and then rattles them off like clockwork, usually over top of his guests (or listeners who call in). He can't do proper followup questions because, unlike Beck, he doesn't read much, doesn't do very much if any research and doesn't much care about the result.

I thought Beck was much better before he was on television. Remember, he was on CNN Headline News before FNC. When he was just a radio guy he was, in my opinion, a much better radio guy than he is now. So it's been a while.

Oh yeah, he is also involved with books (how much of them he actually writes is open to debate) and live performances several times a year.

So...he is spread too thin and very, very tired. Oh yeah, he's also had health issues.

That's my theory.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:31:13 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Was this his doing?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
That's my theory.

And a good one at that.

Comparing Beck to Hannity or Blockhead is like comparing an episode of "Friends" with a full-length movie. Whatever your impression of what Beck is disseminating, how he disseminates it is impressive.

Personally, I think of Howard Beale (from the movie "Network") when I watch Beck. His goofing, his sarcastic wit, all belie an underlying tension revolving around his exposition of leftist power-politics and corruption. I kept one eye slightly winced in anticipation of the implosion that I always feared would occur.

I wish him the best in whatever endeavor.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »
I don't think we've seen the last of him.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
I also believe that his work is some kind of personal therapy for his alcoholism. His work fills a void that alcohol used to occupy. I could say the same about his religion (mormonism) filling that void but the work is much more visible to the public.

I don't see where, with the burden of his work, he actually has much time for his religion or his family, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
I also believe that his work is some kind of personal therapy for his alcoholism. His work fills a void that alcohol used to occupy. I could say the same about his religion (mormonism) filling that void but the work is much more visible to the public.

I don't see where, with the burden of his work, he actually has much time for his religion or his family, though.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I believe Beck now considers his work as his calling from God; he's practicing a good bit of his religion by being "a voice in the darkness".

You're right about his schedule though; it would take a superhuman, which he is not, to keep up his grueling pace and not succumb to something.

I suspect he realizes the hour-long format is no longer adequate (I don't believe it ever was - it permitted a hit on just the high points) to get out the information he believes is urgent.

And John's right too, IMO; we haven't heard the last of Beck.  I've heard him say multiple times if he was reduced to standing on a street-corner to "tell it", that's what he'd do.