Author Topic: My Jeep Project  (Read 19784 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: My Jeep Project
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
When I heard that joke it was, "Just Empty Every Pocket."

Anyway...here is the heater box:

Pretty nasty looking but not so bad, really. I think that it will clean up nicely. I took it apart so that I could get the leaves and pine needles out of the core area. Tomorrow I am going to wire it directly to the battery and measure the air flow cfm for comparison with a new motor.

So today I had the time to remove the front fenders. This is after the passenger side came off:

And this is after the other front fender and the radiator grill came off:

I also finished removing most of the rest of the stuff that goes through or is attached to the firewall. That would include the brake and clutch pedal assembly and the master brake cylinder. I have a few more things to get loose...I have to figure out how the emergency brake cable is connected to the pedal/release assembly and get that disconnected so that the cable can pass through the floor. Also the speedometer cable and accelerator cable have to be removed and then I have to remove the gas pedal and its mounting bracket. I removed the driver's side mirror/windshield bracket/hinge today and need to get the passenger side off next. Also, remove the driver's seat...got started on that today by removing two of the four bolts holding it down and then got distracted and never finished the other two. One thing I discovered today was that the sheet metal mounting plate that emergency brake assembly bolts to is cracked in two places where it attaches to the tub. That will need to get welded back when it goes in to the body shop.

Next is removing the body tub from the frame. Then, as I said earlier, all of the body pieces get put on the trailer and tarped. That leaves me with all of the mechanical stuff totally exposed and that should make doing a lot of the repairs and upgrades a lot easier. And once the body tub is off I can also check the fit for the new fuse box that is part of the new wiring harness. There is almost zero chance that it will fit right out of the box and I will either have to enlarge the existing firewall opening or fabricate some kind of fitting that allows it to mount to a larger hole.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:12:08 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
Making progress. ::thumbsup::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
Today I ordered a replacement blower motor for the heater box, a Siemens PM123. It remains to be seen if it will work but I should have it in my hands by Friday. And it was only $45 so if it turns out to not work then no big deal.

I finished stripping the rest of the stuff out of the firewall, removed the driver's seat and also detached the emergency brake line so now I am ready to start the separation of the body tub from the frame.

I think I might have found the solution to the spare tire carrier problem...found this today. Not cheap but there just aren't any cheap solutions to the spare tire carrier problem. After I add the license plate frame, the holders for a couple of gas cans and the jack mount it should probably come in around a grand but I think that I would spend as much for a custom made solution so, six of one...

I think that the next purchase is going to be the brake conversion kit. I think that I will order it tomorrow. Oh, and I checked on a previous order...for the cast aluminum valve cover. Can't wait for that...i am really tired of the stock (stamped steel) cover leaking all over the place. The supplier says that their next batch are at the machine shop and that I should get mine in January...about time.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
Leaky valve covers annoy me to no end. Every car I've ever had always has an area where oil weeps out through the valve cover gasket, just enough to be ugly. I will replace the gasket, torque everything back down in the exact pattern, and inevitably it starts weeping again within a few months.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
Leaky valve covers annoy me to no end. Every car I've ever had always has an area where oil weeps out through the valve cover gasket, just enough to be ugly. I will replace the gasket, torque everything back down in the exact pattern, and inevitably it starts weeping again within a few months.

On a Jeep that is a design feature.  I have never gotten one to stop leaking.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Tubes of Permatex may be the answer.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »
Well, I have some small amount of hope that a cast aluminum valve cover will seal up much better than a stock one which is stamped steel...less warpage. A new gasket and the above mentioned Permatex should be about as good as it can get.