Author Topic: Workplace Advice for the Obama Economy  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Workplace Advice for the Obama Economy
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
"Today’s workplace doesn’t tolerate slackers,” says Gen Y career expert Dan Schawbel in his new book "Promote Yourself: The New Rules For Career Success."

Yeah.. No Slackers. That sounds good.

1. Your job description is just the beginning:If you want to succeed in today’s workplace and make a name for yourself, you’ll have to do a lot more than what you got hired to do. In fact, your job description is just a scratch on the surface of what you should be doing. Always be on the lookout for new projects and collaborations with other groups, and do as much training and development as possible.

Because ultimately this is about climbing the job ladder, and not about doing any work.

2. Your job is temporary. As the world changes, so does the workplace. Companies are acquiring or being acquired, merging with other companies, or crumbling. Your team could be eliminated, your position outsourced, or you might lose interest in your job altogether.

Chances are the idiot liberal polices you voted for as part of hope and change are going to leave you jobless quite often.

3. You’re going to need a lot of skills you probably don’t have right now.A recent Department of Education study shows that companies are having trouble finding and retaining the right talent. Soft (interpersonal) skills have become more important than hard (technical) skills. It’s never been easier to acquire hard skills — and those skills will only get you so far. Companies are looking for leadership, organizational, teamwork, listening, and coaching skills.

Because Being able to BS your co-workers and management is WAAAY more important than getting any real work done.

4. Your reputation is the single greatest asset you have. :Titles might be good for your ego, but in the grand scheme of things what really matters is what you're known for, the projects you’re part of, how much people trust you, whom you know, who knows about you, and the aura you give off to people around you. Sure, what you do is important. But what others think you do can be just as important if not more so. If you build a strong reputation, the money and opportunities will find you.[/quote[

Because its not about your work. Its about your Aura.  If others know you are a do-nothing moron like them, they will keep you on, secure that you won't make them look bad. It doesn't matter if your failed at A, B and C, as long as people remember you worked on A B and C and are now therefore "experienced"

5. Your personal life is now public.  The 15 seconds it takes you to tweet about how much you hate your boss or to post a pic of you passed out with a drink in your hand could ruin your career forever. Even the littlest things — how you behave, dress, your online presence, body language, and whom you associate with can help build your brand or tear it to the ground.

Even though you think you are entitled to behave like an ass- there are still some old fuddy duddies that care. Don't let them figure it out by posting your buffoonery on line.

6. You need to build a positive presence in new media. :There are plenty of benefits to new media and the convergence between your personal and private lives. Your online social networks enable you to connect with people who have interests similar to yours. Your online presence can help you build your reputation, and the educational opportunities available online can help you dig deeper into the things you’re passionate about and want to become an expert in.

Instead, Create a social media profile that is 100% a lie. Use it to exaggerate your experience and grow your network of fellow poseurs

7. You’ll need to work with people from different generations.  There are now four distinct generations in the workforce: Gen Z (interns), Gen Y (employees), Gen X (managers), and Baby Boomers (executives). Each of these generations was raised in a different period of time, has a different view of the workplace, and communicates differently. By learning how to manage relationships with those in other generations, you will be more successful.

Because having to  work with people of different ages has never happened before,  you need to realize the older ones are stupid and don't have game. Don't point that out and you can fool the old geezers into thinking you give a damn, when your really don't.

8. Your boss’s career comes first.  If your manager is unsuccessful, his frustrations will undoubtedly rub off on you, and the chances you’ll ever get a promotion are pretty slim. But if you support your manager’s career, make his life easier, and earn his trust, he’ll take you with him as he climbs the corporate ladder — even if that means going to another company.

You have to do your best to get your ass kissing head wedged so far up your bosses ass that he thinks you are a part of him.

9. The one with the most connections wins. We have moved from an information economy to a social one. It’s less about what you know (you can find out just about anything within seconds with a simple Google search), and more about whether you can work with other people to solve problems.

its all about the politics of pull - you get ahead by who you know and how big your network is - use the internet to simulate experience and find answers you can claim as your own.

10. Remember the rule of one.  When it comes to getting a job, starting a business, finding someone to marry, or just about anything else, all it takes is one person to change your life for the better. People may be saying no all around you. But as long as one person says yes, you're on your way.

Don't get discouraged. There is a sucker born every minute. Eventually you will find one to manipulate and abuse.

11. You are the future.  By 2025, 75% of the global workforce will be Gen Y. That means that even though you may be early in your career, in the not too distant future you’ll be at the forefront. Right now, you have to position yourself to take one of these major leadership roles when the workforce shifts and older generations retire.

This charade of bs will go on forever. Plan to lead it so no one can ever call you on your complete lack of skill.

12. Entrepreneurship is for everyone, not just business owners.  A lot of people define "entrepreneurship" as starting a business, but in recent years the meaning has broadened to include someone who’s accountable, who’s willing to take risks, and who sells him- or herself. If you want to get ahead, start looking at your company’s management as a venture capital firm. Be persistent, sell your ideas to them, and come up with innovative solutions no one else has thought of.

Call your shameless self-promotion "Entrepreneurship"

13. Hours are out, accomplishments are in.   If you want to keep your job and move up, stop thinking that you have to put in a ridiculous numbers of hours per week. Instead, realize your value, deliver on it, measure your successes, and then promote yourself.

Remember its NOT about the work. Its about making others think you are working. Take credit for work you do in teams or in a group. Network.   Your real job is self-promotion.

14. Your career is in your hands, not your employer’s. 

Because your employer doesn't care about you , because your a posing little snot.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Workplace Advice for the Obama Economy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
It is because of people who are well-versed in this non-work ethic that I tell Gunsmith, every night as he leaves for work, "it is not your job to make their sht work".

Between the "protocols" and the ISO bullsht; the di-VER-SITY hires, and middle and upper management ineptitude, it's a freakin wonder anything gets done right .... or at all.

It's a telecom company and I can tell you for a fact that nobody actually running things (and that's not who is "making things work") ever worked their ways up from the floor, the "terminals" or the switches.  They're business major morons.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Weisshaupt, I can tell that you are a fellow tech/IT/engineering type. I have always loathed this platitudinous nonsense from Communications majors. I could write extensively on this. It's the new version of the old Type A personality, minus any accompanying technical skill.

Hard skills easier to obtain than ever? Sure champ, I'll let you read a "Assembly Language and Ladder Logic for Dummies" book and handle things from here on out then. You know, since it's easier than ever. I could also write extensively on people who never learned any programming concepts outside of an IDE. In college I wrote my stuff not in a pretty IDE, not even in a plain text editor, but with pencil and paper...drawing the data structures in the margins. How else are you supposed to learn how the stuff actually works?

This is a subject that really sort of encapsulates what is wrong with the American mindset today. Bunch of shiny, gold plated thinking. A mile wide and an inch deep. Soft skills...that's it eh?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
It is because of people who are well-versed in this non-work ethic that I tell Gunsmith, every night as he leaves for work, "it is not your job to make their sht work".

Between the "protocols" and the ISO bullsht; the di-VER-SITY hires, and middle and upper management ineptitude, it's a freakin wonder anything gets done right .... or at all.
It's a telecom company and I can tell you for a fact that nobody actually running things (and that's not who is "making things work") ever worked their ways up from the floor, the "terminals" or the switches.  They're business major morons.

My mom used to work in a nursing/rehab home and I used to wonder how it was people weren't dying there left and right considering all the incompetent workers there.

My daughter was a at church meeting tonight when she got a frantic text from her boss wondering why she hadn't completed a certain activity due today. My daughter didn't know it was one of her duties (it's a new job).  Her friend at the meeting asked her "Didn't they teach you that in your training?"  "Nope, but I know all about diversity."

(I should add it was a project she didn't even know existed so I couldn't say you should have known to do it even though no one told you to.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:17:35 AM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Weisshaupt, I can tell that you are a fellow tech/IT/engineering type. I have always loathed this platitudinous nonsense from Communications majors. I could write extensively on this. It's the new version of the old Type A personality, minus any accompanying technical skill.

Hard skills easier to obtain than ever? Sure champ, I'll let you read a "Assembly Language and Ladder Logic for Dummies" book and handle things from here on out then. You know, since it's easier than ever. I could also write extensively on people who never learned any programming concepts outside of an IDE. In college I wrote my stuff not in a pretty IDE, not even in a plain text editor, but with pencil and paper...drawing the data structures in the margins. How else are you supposed to learn how the stuff actually works?

This is a subject that really sort of encapsulates what is wrong with the American mindset today. Bunch of shiny, gold plated thinking. A mile wide and an inch deep. Soft skills...that's it eh?

Yep. Engineering type and not just by training either. I was one of those weird little boys who was trying to teach himself 6502 Machine language out of a book and without adult help instead of learning  how to throw a football ( and I still can't)-- and I stopped programming at all when the IDEs came out and it was all magic under the hood that no one understood.  I hated using other people's  libraries in C.  Once you do Machine language  you realize that code code depends on it, and what they want now is simply code. Not good code. Not even code that works.  Its like the entire world has gone form over substance on us, and only a handful realize that is not sustainable.

Seriously  these kids I am working with  aren't smart enough to google the answer, much less work it out on their  own.  The best part is when they show me "tricks" I showed their co-workers, who then showed them, like they thought of them in the first place. "Tricks" is of course in quotes because they are common sense - like using a tool capable of a text Diff to compare two config files, or while troubleshooting actually taking a trace of the wire instead of guessing what might be on there. Troubleshooting skills  and logic are just not present AT ALL. No curiosity about how anything actually  works, no ability to read a manual and certainly no patience to sit there and figure it out by trial and error.

The good news is I am coaching a Lego Robotics Team and despite being spastic middle school boys, they are ABLE TO THINK still.  I am not allowed to do much to help them with specific problems,  but I can introduce basic concepts, like calibration, code resilience, etc.  Today they got the robot built and working for the first time and the first thing they did ( without me telling them to do it)  was try to calibrate the program with the motors- measuring  in inches how far X number of degrees of rotation will move the machine - taking several measurements and averaging them- without me suggesting they do so.  I asked them what would happen if they changes the tires and they knew.  The saddest part was when they figured out they should get it down to inches instead of feet..and wanted to divide the foot average by 12. One of the transfers from the public school didn't know how.  He knew what needed to be done, and knew why it needed to be done, but didn't know how to do long division.  Because liberals want to deprive everyone of the tools to accomplish anything.  In a few years these kids will be fitted with headsets like Harrison Bergeron.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 02:39:24 AM »
I am afraid that I have a different take on this.

I find most (but not all) of this advice to be quite good with the main qualifier being, "as long as you are technically competent and honest." Perhaps I have a different opinion because I am looking at the list from the standpoint of business owner rather than an employee. And I am especially NOT looking at it from the standpoint of employee who is technically superior to those that I see getting promoted over me. I've been in that situation and, yes, it is horrid. I detested it when an incompetent boob would get a promotion for being nothing more than an ass kisser/self promoter. I wouldn't stay at a place like that for very long.

I will now toss out my take on these items in an attempt at making my opinion clear.

1. Your job description is just the beginning.

If you want to succeed in today’s workplace and make a name for yourself, you’ll have to do a lot more than what you got hired to do. In fact, your job description is just a scratch on the surface of what you should be doing. Always be on the lookout for new projects and collaborations with other groups, and do as much training and development as possible.

First of all, this advice is totally lost to most people (especially the young) in the workplace. The fact of the matter is that if you don't know and believe this already then you probably never will but it is still absolutely true. Some people are totally fine with acquiring a "job" and working that job for the rest of their lives with no eye toward anything else. If this is you and you are okay with that then that is great. Most people aren't like that, though. Most people want to advance themselves and that usually takes the form of a "promotion." As an employer (and when I was a manager back in the corporate world) I want employees who have this mindset. I want people who work for me to always be looking to improve themselves so that they can work more efficiently, be more productive, bring more to the bottom line, etc. If an employee is satisfied doing only what they were hired to do then they are rewarded with staying at that post. If they can't keep up with the minimum I expect of them then they get fired. If they go above and beyond what is expected then they get promoted. It's a pretty simple formula. I will train employees to do more and if they take to it, great. But it's the rare employee who trains himself, takes classes or whatever on his own time...that's golden.

2. Your job is temporary.

As the world changes, so does the workplace. Companies are acquiring or being acquired, merging with other companies, or crumbling. Your team could be eliminated, your position outsourced, or you might lose interest in your job altogether.

This doesn't apply to my business. But it sure as heck applies to an awful lot of them. This is nothing more than cold hard truth. Almost all jobs these days are temporary depending on how you define "temporary"...be that, a year or two or five or ten or whatever. Anyone and everyone who works in the corporate world should never take anything for granted and that especially applies to the permanence (or lack thereof) of any particular job or company. Several decades ago a lot of people would hire on with a company and stay with it all the way to retirement. This pretty much doesn't happen anymore. These days people can expect to work for several different companies over the span of their working years. And yeah, some people do lose interest in their jobs and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that. It happened to me. I got fed up with the corporate world and decided to start my own business doing something that I truly enjoyed doing. I turned down a "career" almost twenty years ago that by now would be fetching me about a half a million or so annually. So I'm not stinking rich. But I live in a place I love and I enjoy my work. Nothing wrong with that.

3. You’re going to need a lot of skills you probably don’t have right now.

A recent Department of Education study shows that companies are having trouble finding and retaining the right talent. Soft (interpersonal) skills have become more important than hard (technical) skills. It’s never been easier to acquire hard skills — and those skills will only get you so far. Companies are looking for leadership, organizational, teamwork, listening, and coaching skills.

Okay, this is mostly BS. Hard skills, what I call technical ability, are pretty much essential unless you are seeking a career in politics or journalism. For just about everyone else you have to know what you are doing. You have to have technical competence. But, that said, it is still absolutely true that you are going to need a lot of skills that you don't have right now. Remember: The author is speaking to people who are just entering the work world.

Example: When I was in high school there were no such things as personal computers. I have had to teach myself everything I know (albeit not to anything approaching an IT level) about computers and the various programs needed to function in business. And that's only been for the last twenty years or so. Who knows what type of skills will be needed in another two or three decades? I don't. This is why a lot of traditional education (outside of the basics of math, reading and writing) is more or less useless...at least for most fields. So other than the truly technical areas (medicine, hard science, engineering, etc.) a college degree is merely an entrance ticket to the work world where your real education begins and, truthfully, never ends. If you aren't growing, you're dying in my opinion.

4. Your reputation is the single greatest asset you have.

Titles might be good for your ego, but in the grand scheme of things what really matters is what you're known for, the projects you’re part of, how much people trust you, whom you know, who knows about you, and the aura you give off to people around you. Sure, what you do is important. But what others think you do can be just as important if not more so. If you build a strong reputation, the money and opportunities will find you.

Except for the "aura" bullsh*t this is also good advice, in my opinion. If I have to choose between two people to work with, both having more or less equivalent technical ability, and one is honest and trustworthy and the other one is a dickhead...I'm not going with the dick. But that's me. Perhaps there is a real demand for highly skilled, dishonest and untrustworthy dickheads out there. And yeah, titles are frequently stupid.

In my business I am working pretty much directly for my customers. It is essential that my reputation be golden. When I was in the corporate world, though, I took the same approach: My boss was my customer and it was a big part of my job to satisfy that customer, to make my boss successful. Generally, my boss's success was my success. If my boss didn't do well I wouldn't do well (whether it was my fault or not...hey, hard truth). At any rate, I damn sure didn't want a reputation as being anything other than competent, hard working and honest. If you don't have all of those qualities then you are missing the boat. The author says, "Sure, what you do is important," and it is, the technical stuff is essential. But so are the other things. It needs to be a complete picture.

5. Your personal life is now public.

The 15 seconds it takes you to tweet about how much you hate your boss or to post a pic of you passed out with a drink in your hand could ruin your career forever. Even the littlest things — how you behave, dress, your online presence, body language, and whom you associate with can help build your brand or tear it to the ground.

This is new but it's still true. Remember who the audience of this article is: Young idiots. We've all been there, we were all once young, naive and/or stupid. I cannot imagine what kind of trouble I would have gotten myself in with social media when I was in my twenties or teens. The fact is when you SAY something bad about someone well, that's bad. But it needn't be forever. People forget a lot of what they hear and time can erase a lot of bad stuff that comes out of our mouthes. BUT...the written word is pretty much forever. Pictures, even worse because, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. All the author is doing here is telling young idiots to not ruin their reputations forever by posting stupid BS to Facebook and Twitter. It's good advice because young people are stupid and don't think about the ramifications of these things.

And for that matter, it IS important how you dress. Sure, there are places where you can be very successful with sh*tty clothing, multiple piercings and tattoos and questionable personal hygiene. But my business would not be one of them. The young and stupid would be well advised to know that those issues limit their possibilities in the work world and therefore, like it or not, they come with a price.

6. You need to build a positive presence in new media.

There are plenty of benefits to new media and the convergence between your personal and private lives. Your online social networks enable you to connect with people who have interests similar to yours. Your online presence can help you build your reputation, and the educational opportunities available online can help you dig deeper into the things you’re passionate about and want to become an expert in.

This sounds like bullsh*t but, really, it's kind of not. What the author is advising (and remember who he is talking to) is that a young person develop a healthy social life both in and out of work, both online and in real life. There's nothing wrong with that. And if you find yourself suddenly laid off it could be invaluable in getting another job quickly. Or learning of another opportunity that could be to your advantage.

In my business I do this with my customers...I have an online presence and yes, that includes Facebook. It's what gets me new customers. And if you know anything about business you will know that keeping customers is pretty easy...just be competent and honest...acquiring customers is expensive. So, if there is an easy (and cheap) way to get new customers then that's a good thing. And again, in a corporate environment the relationship between boss and employee, supervisor and worker...whatever...isn't really much different than the relationship between service/product provider and customer. There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself (or your business) if the product is a quality one. If you are promoting crap (or misrepresenting yourself as better than you are) then no amount of networking will help, though.

7. You’ll need to work with people from different generations.

There are now four distinct generations in the workforce: Gen Z (interns), Gen Y (employees), Gen X (managers), and Baby Boomers (executives). Each of these generations was raised in a different period of time, has a different view of the workplace, and communicates differently. By learning how to manage relationships with those in other generations, you will be more successful.

Again, I see this as good advice given the author's target audience. Most young people are not only stupid and naive but they are also mind-numbingly self-centered and obtuse. They think that everyone is just like them and has the exact same worldview. It seems stupid to have to point this out but a staggering number of young people really don't know this. Now granted...as I mentioned above...most young people are incapable of learning anything the easy way so the author's advice here will almost certainly fall on deaf ears but for the fraction of a percent that can be instructed I would say it's worth it to let them know this extremely self evident truth.

I am more than happy to share my knowledge and point of view with a young person. I only wish that more than one or two were receptive to it.

8. Your boss’s career comes first.

If your manager is unsuccessful, his frustrations will undoubtedly rub off on you, and the chances you’ll ever get a promotion are pretty slim. But if you support your manager’s career, make his life easier, and earn his trust, he’ll take you with him as he climbs the corporate ladder — even if that means going to another company.

I mentioned this earlier and yeah, it's true. As a business owner it translates to: "The customer is always right." If I adopted the opposite view I would very quickly go out of business. See: Amy's Baking Company.

When I was in the corporate world I tried to make my boss look good. Now, he could still look bad but if he did, that wasn't because of me. Not that this always works. Every once in a while you end up with a boss that doesn't care how hard you work or how technically proficient you are. But that's just a bad boss (or a bad company to work for) and you just need to go elsewhere. I've done it. I've had bosses who used me, used my hard work and talent to further themselves at my expense. Not wanting to be a doormat for someone else's career I always left a situation like that. Never once regretted it.

But again, I see this point as common sense and self evident to all but the hopelessly obtuse. You may not like to see it written down but that doesn't  make it any less true.

9. The one with the most connections wins.

We have moved from an information economy to a social one. It’s less about what you know (you can find out just about anything within seconds with a simple Google search), and more about whether you can work with other people to solve problems.

Okay, this is utter nonsense because it flies in the face of one of life's great truth's: Money talks and bullsh*t walks. If you don't have game then all the connections in the world are useless. In fact, they are worse than useless because you will very quickly gain a reputation for being a dumbass.

So, yeah, this article is not without its filler. I have no idea why the author thought he needed to include this very obviously stupid bullet point.

10. Remember the rule of one.

When it comes to getting a job, starting a business, finding someone to marry, or just about anything else, all it takes is one person to change your life for the better. People may be saying no all around you. But as long as one person says yes, you're on your way.

Umm...this, too, is pretty stupid and I don't think I need to elaborate on its worthlessness.

11. You are the future.

By 2025, 75% of the global workforce will be Gen Y. That means that even though you may be early in your career, in the not too distant future you’ll be at the forefront. Right now, you have to position yourself to take one of these major leadership roles when the workforce shifts and older generations retire.

Okay, well, this plus the previous two points completes the trifecta of worthless filler and utter nonsense. Yeah, you're the future. Unless you get hit by a bus or die of a drug overdose. Geez, who cares? The last thing the author needs to do here is give a young person any reason at all to feel good about themselves for any reason other than that which is earned. At this point I would be telling the twenty something to stop wasting my time and go get a job...then we'll talk some more. But that's me.

12. Entrepreneurship is for everyone, not just business owners.

A lot of people define "entrepreneurship" as starting a business, but in recent years the meaning has broadened to include someone who’s accountable, who’s willing to take risks, and who sells him- or herself. If you want to get ahead, start looking at your company’s management as a venture capital firm. Be persistent, sell your ideas to them, and come up with innovative solutions no one else has thought of.

Not content with three stupid bullet points, the author tees up another stupid comment and whacks it down the fairway.

If you are truly an entrepreneur then get out of the corporate world and start your own business with your own damn money on the line. That's risk taking. For a young person (the target audience) being "persistent" and selling your "ideas" to management is a great way to be permanently labeled as a fool. The target audience would be WAY better advised to learn all they can from their betters while maintaining an attitude of humility and respect. If you truly are that much smarter than your boss or his boss then the best thing you can do is leave and start your own business. That's actually been done a lot and is one of the things that used to make America great.

13. Hours are out, accomplishments are in. 

If you want to keep your job and move up, stop thinking that you have to put in a ridiculous numbers of hours per week. Instead, realize your value, deliver on it, measure your successes, and then promote yourself.

Well, this is true but it's also pretty horrible advice to give a young person. The last thing you need to tell a young adult is that they don't need to work hard. And that's more or less what he's saying. What he means, or at least what he should be saying is that whenever possible you should work smarter rather than harder. In other words, avoid thrashing around and flailing about because it can give the impression that you are an incompetent idiot.

And yeah, as an employer, I would much rather see the job completed on time and under budget than some guy putting in tons of hours for little output. That's the guy I'm firing. But that's me.

14. Your career is in your hands, not your employer’s. 

No matter what they say, companies are looking out for themselves. And while you should definitely try to make your company successful, you need to make sure that you’re getting something out of the deal, too. If you aren't learning and growing, you aren't benefiting anymore, and that's an issue that you will have to resolve. Don't rely on anything or anyone: Be accountable for your own career, and take charge of your own life.

Well, I said this before, too. If your boss is taking advantage of you and you let him do it then you deserve it. Another self evident truth that, sadly, has to be spelled out for some people.

------------------------------------

Okay, so that's my take on all of this stuff. Some ridiculous nonsense but mostly these are basic truths about the real world for the rare young, stupid and naive person who is able to process the stuff. 99% of the target audience will not get a damn thing out of this article. It was true when I was a kid, it's true now and it will be true tomorrow. There's not much new or revolutionary about these points because there really is nothing new under the sun and those who don't know history are forever condemned to repeat its mistakes and yada, yada, yada.

So...not trying to piss anyone off or pick a fight or anything like that. I just see things differently.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
So...not trying to piss anyone off or pick a fight or anything like that. I just see things differently.
Actually, I don't really disagree on your take, its just your take seems to be based  the old world in which honesty and  hard work mattered- hence your qualifier.   My take was  more a cynical view  how these young kids would understand and apply it.  The modern workplace's tolerance for "slackers" is very high - perhaps not in your business, but every where I have worked ( even small startups ) there has always been a Wally. Some guy who does no work and never pays the price for it. The bigger the corporation, the more Wallys there are.  My first job was at a Telco and I had an opportunity to get my hands on everything and into every project , and took it. My raises were disappointing, because was was valued there was "getting along" and I had a tendency to get the job done instead  - which would embarrass some and offend others.  So I thanked them for the free education, and went to a small startup company who would pay for my newly acquired skills - doubling my salary as I left.  SO Yes, I believe you can get ahead this way, but NOT within an organization - not without kissing the right butts. .  The Shareholders I am sure wanted my contributions to the bottom line, but Middle Management ( who are employees with the do nothing mindset)  just wanted a nice stable boat.

These kids out of College simply don't have the tools to acquire new skills. Typically their college experience didn't give them even a basic set of intellectual tools with which to work. They need to be spoon fed, and you better be ready to catch the bits that slop out of their mouth and shove them back in. Worse, they feel entitled to the job. I went to college, got a degree and now I am owed a "good job" - one where I don't need to study  or learn a single thing. One that brings me a big paycheck and my parents house. They Seriously have no sense that they Have to prove themselves - and the only challenge the readily accept is figuring out how to game whatever system is in place.

If I have to choose between two people to work with, both having more or less equivalent technical ability, and one is honest and trustworthy and the other one is a dickhead...I'm not going with the dick. But that's me.

You aren't in middle management-- most of the people who are took the corporate route you rejected.  They were promoted largely because they knew how to game the bureaucracy, kiss the right butts, and because their contributions  wouldn't be missed  where the real work was done.  Middle Management will choose the dickhead, every single time.  Because the dick head is less likely to upstage them, and more likely to be a partner in crime. A reputation for being a work horse will only get you boxed into a position - not promoted. A good manager will make sure you get raises, and a bad one one, and they will deny you any sort of opportunity to shine in front of others-- for someone may try to steal you, or you may simply highlight how little your boss knows.

Social Media for these kids is an addiction.  I don't think they can choose not to post stupid crap they have done ( how else can they get credit for it? and yes they see it as laudable behavior) When they do get  there are old people who have values that won't  approve, then their use of it is Machiavellian. Its only purpose is to have those contacts.. Yes, social network will get  you that next job, but it should be because your reputation - these kids collect facebook friends like crackerjack prizes.  There is no there, there. These people don't know them from Adam.  If they help someone get a job, its simply a quid pro quo expectation.

If you are promoting crap (or misrepresenting yourself as better than you are) then no amount of networking will help, though.

But it does - because you are judged by the size of your network - made of of people similarly judged. You don't worry about bringing a crap employee in, because chances are, by the time that is discovered, you have moved on.  Large social networks mean an endless supply of new suckers who don't know what you have done, and references that don't care.  Telling the truth on a social network is usually perceived as petty or mean, so it generally doesn't happen.

In general the entire work world is suffering from a complete and utter disdain for hard work and real accomplishments. And really, I can't argue to the younger generation that they should work hard. Why support millions of slackers with your effort?  Why be considered the sucker in a world where no one appreciates your work ethic? To get ahead? Obama made that impossible. ZIRP makes that impossible. You can't save for anything - starting a business, your retirement, buying a home. Its not wonder the Japanese boys decided to play video games the rest of their lives - other accomplishments  being out of their reach.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »
As an employee:

Having a thought is rewarded.  So much the better if everyone else thinks it's a good idea too.

Having tried is rewarded.  Having tried includes having a thought.

Once shared-- a "great" thought  counts as work done.

Someone else will carry out the hard work to get that thought to fruition.

That someone will be you. No one will care who it is.

Your hard work doesn't trump the great thought.

It doesn't matter if you chose not to do the hard work the great thinker will still be rewarded for the great thought.

These great thoughts/ideas are spewed out by people who can not think.

As the boss:

You have project due today. It must be done today.  You informed your employee of this weeks ago. More than once.

They have a birthday party to attend tonight.

Your project will be turned in tomorrow.

Maybe.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »
[]url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurapennington/2013/09/06/for-millenials-connections-are-easy-friendships-are-hard/]Millenials can make connections, not friends[/url]

There is no There, there.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
  At work they keep hiring people in their mid 20s to early thirties  because they are techies.
 Saturday I watched as one of them was trying to use their phone apps to sell a car by pointing to the info on the apps.

I walked out of the building laughing my but off. He thought it was smarter to point to things on his phone rather than going outside with the people and show them on the car and do a real presentation where people can get involved with questions rather than looking at a half inch square dot on a phone.

And close to the end of the day he asked me how many people I spoke to, and I said two and sold one,he spoke to four and sold none and can't understand how I do that on a regular basis and he can't get there.

So I asked him a question which was,how do you get 40 years experience in the car business? He had no answer and I told him to take the weekend and get back to me.

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie