Author Topic: Miss America contestant from Kansas  (Read 1919 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Miss America contestant from Kansas
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
link
If you haven’t yet found a reason to catch the 2013 Miss America pageant, would getting to know a contestant who’s a member of the Kansas Army National Guard’s Medical Detachment, a big-time bowhunter, and an expert M16 marksman pique your interest?

To say that Theresa Vail proudly tears down Miss America stereotypes more than states the obvious.

She’s also a skydiver, boxer, and a mechanic (or “grease monkey,” as she notes in her pageant video below). A People magazine profile notes that she had to cease motorcycle racing after breaking all the fingers in her right hand, but Vail can still skin a deer and possesses a fab squirrel stew recipe.

But beyond her atypical skills and service, what’s turning many heads in the 22-year-old’s direction is what she’s chosen to reveal in the swimsuit competition — and that again bursts stereotypes.

The current Miss Kansas first announced on her blog that her two tattoos would be visible during competition — which is believed to be a first for the pageant, noted the Wichita Eagle.

and yeah, there's pictures at the link  ;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

Re: Miss America contestant from Kansas
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
Don't be shy.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
That's an attractive young lady.
 ::pimp::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
Oh my.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
OK I hate to be a negative Nelly, but it gets irritating that no one in the media can write accurately about military experience. I have seen pretty much the same article with revisions on her military back ground. In one report it sad she was active duty. In another it said she was a National Guard soldier.

Well is she active duty or not. If you are a guardsman, then you do one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. That is not active duty. Most active duty people would take that as an insult.

One version of the story says she is a marksman with the M16. Well twist me around.... and call me Susan! Here is a hint to everyone. The only way you can get into and stay in any branch of the Army, be that active, reserve or National Guard, you have to qualify the minimum of marksman. If you don't,  then you are kicked out. Another variant of the story says she is an expert marksman with the M16. Ugh .... You can be only one of three categories: Expert, Sharpshooter or Marksman!

I know it is a little nit picky, but come on ... get it right.
I'm sure someone in the Army who is authorized to wear a green beret would be upset that a report calls an Army Ranger a member of the special forces. Or, for that matter, a ranger would be upset seeing an article about airborne people being called rangers.
Those of you with an Army back ground know what I'm talking about.

On a side note wow she likes to hunt deer and bow hunts....... Hubba... Hubba!!!

P.S. OK... and she's good looking too.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:01:15 AM »
Good catches Miltrainer...usually in such cases I chalk up such inconsistencies on typically shoddy reporting, I mean how many reporters a) served in the Armed Forces b) understand the Armed Forces or c) give a damn about the Armed Forces?

Certainly the shoddy reporting does not reflect poorly on the young lady, who by all accounts is most impressive.

I don't often think about the impossible but sometimes a story like this comes along and I think being 22 again could be swell.   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »
She's lookin' at you, Miltrainer!

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Yeah she's a pretty girl, but tattoos on a girl just don't do it for me. Not knocking the choice, I know lots of people like it, I guess I'm just a stick in the mud traditionalist. I figure the female form is just about perfect as is. :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
I like her tats.
 ::pimp::

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
We figured dat.   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »
She's lookin' at you, Miltrainer!

Is she winking at me?  ::bustamove::

On a side note. I'm not a big fan of the Arrow rest on her bow. I would love to she how she handles that bow. Me and my father-in-law would love to see how her true metal is by going out and hunting some black bear up north.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!