Author Topic: Shooting at Washington Navy Yard, home of Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters  (Read 4559 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://news.yahoo.com/shots-fired-at-washington-navy-yard--u-s--navy-confirms-130407614.html

We'll have to wait to find out if this is another result of Muslim Outreach or something else...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Work place violence. We need psychiatry's 'best' to go in and offer counseling.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The usual BS "facts" about the weapon that is supposed to be involved. They are saying that it's an AR15, saying that it is the civilian version of the M16 and yet they are also speaking about it as if it's a fully auto weapon. Idiots.

As usual...I wouldn't take ANYTHING coming out of the MFM as accurate (including the description of the shooter) until at least three hours have passed. In fact, it's almost total BS in 90% of what they say during these breaking stories.

So...keep your powder dry on the "facts" until they actually become facts.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I have actually been to this place. I did it on a sightseeing tour. They have a ship that you can tour and a very nice museum.

I can state that there is absolutely zero chance that this guy walked onto the base with a weapon unless he was supposed to be there. When our tour group went in we had to go through the kind of scrutiny that you would expect to receive if you were getting on a plane.

So...expect that this guy is a government employee or contractor...someone with a pass that allowed him to drive through security.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
I'm reading its shotgun but who knows.   6 ft bald black male

one of my kids works for Navy as civilian not at the Navy yard but knows people who do -- thankfully they appear to be all ok--she's traveling today for vacation thank goodness

live feed here:

http://patdollard.com/2013/09/active-shooter-on-the-loose-in-d-c-naval-shipyard-2-shot/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:49:31 AM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
FNC sort of reluctantly admitting that, no, weapons are generally not permitted at the naval shipyard.

Duh. Unless you are supposed to have them or unless you, as someone who works there every single day, can just drive in through the gate with them.

The thought that comes to anyone's mind is the Fort Hood shooting. Of course, the MFM will not mention that at all. They will speculate all day long about the weapon being used and whine about the inability of congress to pass "sensible gun safety laws" but they won't speculate at all about the motives of a shooter that they are identifying as a minority.

Since it's virtually impossible that the shooter is anyone other than a government employee or contractor it does sort of eliminate a lot of possible motives. You really get down to a jihadi like at Ft. Hood or workplace nutcase. If there are any other possibilities I can't think of what they might be.

FNC is starting to speculate (like me) that the shooter was likely to be someone who was supposed to be there.

EDIT: FNC just now mentioned the name "Nidal Hassan" for the first time. Speculation is in full gear. The police press conference can't come soon enough.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:20:54 AM by trapeze »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
the base I visited has a big sign informing all that weapons are not allowed on base

added:

listening to live stream and the reporter is asking a witness how secure is that building, how easy is it to get in?

her answer--not secure enough for me
  !
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:41:21 AM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I have been switching back and forth between this story and Denver local news which is also covering the flooding.

Sort of an FYI about the CO flooding: It is worse than anything you can imagine. This place (area in the mountains west of Denver) is in deep sh*t. The road devastation alone is phenomenal. These are huge section of highways that are gone. Not a little bit damaged. Not a lot damaged. Gone. Not there anymore. And these missing sections are in areas where there aren't any alternatives. In a lot of cases the missing roads are next to geological features (mountain faces and rivers) that need to be highly engineered in order to work. In other words, under the best of circumstances and with unlimited resources these roads will take months to rebuild. But the flood waters are still happening.  When the water recedes there will be victim search and recovery efforts. Then, before anything can be done to the roads at all...snow. And then spring snow melt which will continue the destruction of the roads. And without roads no one can get to their homes or what's left of them. This is going to be a bitchin' winter.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
AP reporting shooter dead

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
listening to live stream and the reporter is asking a witness how secure is that building, how easy is it to get in?

her answer--not secure enough for me
  !

Well, that's just it...the base is secure. No one gets in without a search unless you are supposed to be there and drive in to work every day.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
To listen to this morning's story about the naval yard shooting means I have to get past the reporters

One reporter tried to stop a Navy officer who wouldn't stop and the anchor back on the studio congratulated him for trying to get that impromptu interview! Good try!

::bashing:: ::bashing:: ::bashing::

ABC7 in DC sending reporters out to stand outside locked down schools to say schools are locked down

CNN Anchor: I Can't Remember a Mass Shooting on a Military Base
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:16:47 AM by LadyVirginia »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Back in my day...if a weapon was even suspected you were ordered out of the vehicle and spread-eagled on the pavement and patted down by one Marine while the other had his weapon covering you...failure to comply, we'll I never knew anybody not complying...well, there was one guy and he was really hammered and a hardhead and didn't involve a weapon (unless you count a smart mouth a weapon)...anyway, if anything is intolerant of rules violations it is military bases.

What really gets me is the Boston Marathon effect in full bloom even on military bases...this "shelter in place" BS which is just code phrase for "cower in stupified terror and if scary authorities with weapons and gear come in do as they say, even if they say strip and comply with an impromtu full cavity search, by God you do it and be thankful for it...anybody acting other than a simpering metrosexual will be dealt with most harshly...and if the bad guy kicks you door in...well, just scream at the top of your lungs...you'll probably die but maybe the authorities will hear your last moment on earth and know where to look for the perp...

::facepalm::

::gaah::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Trap is right, this thing has to settle down, the reports are all over the place...more than one shooter, one killed & two on the loose, guy was a bad shot, no link to terrorism (yeah, heard that before too about Ft. Hood!), Putin going full-retard mocking this as "exceptionalism"...

http://www.drudgereport.com/

This thing is too fluid and as usual the media is going to do/say anything to pump ratings...the 'ol "if it bleeds it leads" on steroids...

Let the demonization of gun-toting Americans gin up the hate machine again...

ETA -

“ANOTHER shooting in WASH D.C.  PLEASE America do nothing to promote gun control because that’s how we roll until we have all shot each other.”

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=203664

Ugh!  Sit on it, Hank!

::mooning::

And...

CNN’s Faux “Conservative” David Frum Uses Naval Yard Shooting Rampage To Bash Second Amendment Supporters...

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/09/16/cnns-faux-conservative-david-frum-uses-naval-yard-shooting-rampage-to-bash-second-amendment-supporters/

Hey, Frum?!   ::doublebird::

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:54:45 AM by Libertas »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
If it weren't so serious it would be entertaining how these reporters are tripping over themselves "to report".

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
If it weren't so serious it would be entertaining how these reporters are tripping over themselves "to report".

How about this real jurnolista of genius...

"I was just saying that this is so unusual, because this is such a heavily-secured military facility. I’ve worked in Washington for many years, I’ve never heard of such a thing happening." - CNN's Carol Costello

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/09/16/cnn-anchor-cant-remember-the-last-time-there-was-a-shooting-at-a-u-s-military-facility/

I guess I was surprised the person she was talking to wasn't named "Abbott"...

::facepalm::

Ft.Hood, no bells, eh?

::mooning::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
news briefing right now:

12 dead

:(

looking for 2 additional men who may be involved

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
So, the female police chief for DC says that there are 12 confirmed dead. That's pretty good shooting for a single perpetrator in a secure environment. They are looking for accomplices so maybe it was more than one.

Still, even with press conferences with people who are supposed to know things it is probably not a good idea to believe what they say. This is like Boston. They said the same kinds of stuff and most of it was false. It may be days before we "know" anything.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
What we DO know is violence in yet another GUN FREE Zone.  VIYAGFZ
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
What we DO know is violence in yet another GUN FREE Zone.  VIYAGFZ

Yes indeedy. That we do know.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that this is the work of one guy. There are no accomplices. That's my theory.

I base this on the "no one knows what's going on and a lot of people just say whatever pops into their heads" principle.