Author Topic: Obama tells man questioning him about high gas prices: Buy a new car  (Read 59089 times)

RickZ

Re: Obama tells man questioning him about high gas prices: Buy a new car
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:56 AM »
What I find funny about the discussion of our Constitution and slavery by a Canadian is that when it was written, 1787, slavery, as abhorrent as we find it today, was standard operating procedure around the world in that time period.  He11, even the UK did not abolish slavery until 1833, which was some years after our Constitution was written and enacted.

On top of that, the part in the Constitution which counts slaves as 3/5 for representation purposes was not the current narrative:  Racism in thinking blacks were worth less than whites.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  Those Founders who were sickened by slavery saw it as a dying institution, though not dying fast enough by any means, and they could not stop it at that time due to a number of factors, including money and war weariness.  So the 3/5 number was designed to be antislavery, which is counterintuitive.  By limiting the weight of representation of the Southern states, the Founders were limiting the slaveholding states' impact on national policy.  If slaves were counted at 100%, then the south could have been able to maintain a national policy of slavery far beyond their slaveholding numbers.  In the end, slavery would have lasted far longer than when it ended in 1864-1865.

But I do find it humorous that someone from Canada is criticising our Constitution over the slavery issue when the UK still had slavery as well, and that included Canada.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
What I find funny about the discussion of our Constitution and slavery by a Canadian is that when it was written, 1787, slavery, as abhorrent as we find it today, was standard operating procedure around the world in that time period...

That's exactly right. What those who use slavery to undermine the legitimacy of the American founding fail to grasp is that slavery was a societal institution that was both deeply embedded and hotly contested. In the effort to found this nation it was politically impossible to eradicate slavery, but in the intense debate that led to the founding and ultimately the constitution, the seed was planted and the mechanisms were put into place to eradicate slavery eventually, thus making those "evil White slave owners" directly responsible for overturning that evil institution. It could never have happened without the constitution, and the blood of millions of Americans.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

gwenf

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »
Increasing gasoline prices are beginning to take a heavy toll on Americans’ personal finances. Individuals have to pay more at the pump, and recent economic data indicates that it has caused personal incomes and economic growth to grow. Nationwide gas prices are getting closer to record highs from years back. People are not amused. I read this here: Americans feeling the pinch of higher gas prices.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »
Increasing gasoline prices are beginning to take a heavy toll on Americans’ personal finances. Individuals have to pay more at the pump, and recent economic data indicates that it has caused personal incomes and economic growth to grow. Nationwide gas prices are getting closer to record highs from years back. People are not amused. I read this here: Americans feeling the pinch of higher gas prices.

Quite right and I don't see the rise slowing . If anything , with Stymie's continued disasterous energy policies , gasoline could reach $6.00 per gal by the first part of 2012 . That doesn't bode well for his re-election chances which suits me just fine !

RickZ

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
Maybe you meant 'to slow', or 'to be nonexistent'?