Author Topic: Happy Birthday T S Eliot  (Read 1183 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Happy Birthday T S Eliot
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
If we take the widest and wisest view of a Cause, there is no such thing as a Lost Cause, because there is no such thing as a Gained Cause. We fight for lost causes because we know that our defeat and dismay may be the preface to our successors' victory, though that victory itself will be temporary; we fight rather to keep something alive than in the expectation that it will triumph." In every period, some will endeavor to pull down the permanent things, and others will defend them manfully. --T.S. Eliot
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Happy Birthday T S Eliot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table

I still remember those verses from high school English.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »

Beautiful.

It hurts my head thinking about what kids learn now in English.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it gets worse with each crop of kids. I was in high school in the early & mid 90s, so it was pretty well dumbed down already. There are some things I do remember well though: the TS Eliot verse, and The Canterbury Tales (including some of Chaucer's pentameter in Middle English).

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:02:55 AM »
I was in high school in the early & mid 90s, so it was pretty well dumbed down already.

I'm going to tell you an old fart story, that is, a story from my youth.  In 1968, I was 12 years old.  Khe Sahn had just been relieved.  (I remember a photo in the local paper which had a bunker entrance with the following sign over it:  'Warning:  Khe Sahn can be hazardous to your health'; at the time I thought it was a humorous riff on the then new anti-cigarette campaign).   There was no cable, only the big three networks, plus PBS (which was a fuzzy UHF channel in my locality), plus independent channels in the larger cities (Norfolk, Va and the surrounding Tidewater area was large but had no independent channels).  On a weekly basis (on Friday or Monday, I forget which), the nightly national news served up, with dinner at most American households of the time, their body count report.  It would always go something like this:  An estimated 10,000 NVA were killed last week, while there were 257 US killed.  I thought at the time, now wait a minute!  If we're killing around 10,000 enemy a week, and only 'losing' around 200-300 of ours, this war should be over, just based on attrition alone.  Yes, I actually thought in those terms.  (Math:  How does it work?)  I knew the war reporting was fukced up, even at the ripe old age of 12.  Why was this so?  Because I was taught to think logically and critically in a coherent manner.  Kids today?  Not so much.  Now they go along with the propaganda flow because of various reasons, but mostly because they are being trained to be government  sheep, to not use critical thinking, as if they are even taught such 'nonsense' today.  I was taught government was a necessary evil, something to be constantly monitored whereas now kids are taught how magnanimous government is, how benevolent, and if you don't believe it you're a radical anti-government terrorist, like those whack jobs at Ruby Ridge and Waco, or in the TEA Party.  Now kids are cheerleading for government tyranny, as long as they get theirs (and they will, they just don't know the manner the 'get theirs' will take).  We have created a whole generation of Khmer Rouge child killers, completely amoral with no empathy whatsoever, so killing for them is easy.  It's how Pol Pot was able to keep power, through the killing fields run by illiterate kids.  We may rightly fear the militarized police forces we have in this country today, but tomorrow it is the kids to fear.  In fact, the little darlings are already flexing their muscles with their knockout game violence that goes unreported.  I'm not sure of my point, but our situation is much more dire than many (not here, though) realize.  When the FEMA camps with their youthful AmeriCorps guards get up and running, mass slaughter is inevitable, as inevitable as their sociopathy which has been deliberately inculcated and protected (just try getting a violent criminal thug kicked out of school; see:  Tray-B-Gone).  As far as I'm concerned, we're fukced:  We haven't fired a shot in anger yet, even with all the abuses heaped upon us by this government.  It is the appearance of normalcy which dispels our cries of 'Watch out!  Tyranny is here!'  Back then, I was taught the concept of good and evil, replete with historical and then current examples.  Now good and evil is sooo judgmental, like how judgmental it is believing American culture is superior to the sand crab and jungle bunny cultures in the rest of the world.

"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted." ~ Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov

We're there, though many do not know it, nor do they seem to care to know it.  Just imagine camps run by the feral kids of today, kids completely amoral and without regard for human life.  Pol Pot would be so damn proud of our teachers, praising them instead of killing them.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:56 AM »

Beautiful.

Perhaps you could translate it into today's lingo thought it would be sickening at the final composition.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:45:49 AM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04:53 AM »

Beautiful.

They can still get it, but that have to chase after it. At least in our district. My older boy almost has a fetish for English, and our school was fully able to facilitate it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »

They can still get it, but that have to chase after it. At least in our district. My older boy almost has a fetish for English, and our school was fully able to facilitate it.

Yes, it's still out there.  And there are kids that even like it.  Your son's in college? I bet he's going to find more kids who say Eliot who? than not. My daughter was a TA during grad school for the English department.  Want to know how bad things are?  She had to teach them how to use google! Yes, everyone thinks "kids today" are tech savvy and expect they'd know all that stuff.  That was back in the 80's when my brother was in high school and he'd spend hours after school learning how to program on his own time with some of his teachers. Back when everyone thought having a computer would somehow make kids smarter. Today if it's not on their smartphone they're clueless.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
I'm older that most here, if not all of you, and it really hurts my head to compare my education in public schools and that of today.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
for you "oldcoastie" I graduated HS in 1968 and I am appalled by what passes as education today.  without a well-grounded knowledge of what civilization has gone before, you need to start at the beginning with each generation, they have no reference points on which to draw.  I know that is what the progressives want, citizens who do not know how to compare what they are being offered by "The State" to what would be possible if they overthrew their helotage and stood for themselves instead of "the hive".

Even if you gave this generation a free copy of T.S. Eliot, the amount of "backstory" you would need to cram into them would be overwhelming for them to begin to understand. I am not sure we could fix these last 3 generations by re-education and de-programming, I think they are just lost and will need to be "managed", like the entitlement class, until they pass through the culture.

the irish saved western civilization when rome fell, who will save us now?
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
for you "oldcoastie" I graduated HS in 1968 and I am appalled by what passes as education today.  without a well-grounded knowledge of what civilization has gone before, you need to start at the beginning with each generation, they have no reference points on which to draw.  I know that is what the progressives want, citizens who do not know how to compare what they are being offered by "The State" to what would be possible if they overthrew their helotage and stood for themselves instead of "the hive".

Even if you gave this generation a free copy of T.S. Eliot, the amount of "backstory" you would need to cram into them would be overwhelming for them to begin to understand. I am not sure we could fix these last 3 generations by re-education and de-programming, I think they are just lost and will need to be "managed", like the entitlement class, until they pass through the culture.

the irish saved western civilization when rome fell, who will save us now?

I guess all those "undocumented migrants" both parties are so keen to give amnesty to!  After all, they seem to believe the rapid demographic changes will result in nothing more lasting than less Smith and more Sanchez in the phone book.

But why did Ireland save Western Civilization? Precisely because Ireland was a frontier backwater on the very periphery of Europe. Some of those Greek and Roman seeds were allowed to germinate in relative peace, and eventually recolonize the mainland. We'll need a frontier backwater again, though with the technology at their disposal will it even be possible to achieve sufficient separation from the Moron Army?

- Yours Truly