Author Topic: Thoughts On Chips And Dips  (Read 3366 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Thoughts On Chips And Dips
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
Snack foods are important. Well, they are important to me. I like to eat quality snack foods whenever possible rather than being captive to ordinary off the shelf type stuff. I mean...grocery store snacks are (sometimes pretty) good and they are certainly convenient...just buy and munch...but they are not always (or needn't be) as good as what you can rustle up on your own.

And that's why I like to make my own popcorn instead of relying on microwave (unless I'm in a hurry and then, well, microwave it is).

I have recently begun to make my own tortilla chips. Store bought chips are okay. Some are better than others (I particularly like the Tostitos Scoops variety because you can get the right amount of dip on them) and if you are in a hurry then that's where you need to go. But...

...making your own chips is really pretty easy and the results are surprisingly good.

Start with a package of soft flour tortillas from the grocery store. Since we have so many people in the country from south of the border now, there probably isn't a store in the US that doesn't carry them. Cut the tortillas up into chip sized triangles. I usually stack three or four tortillas together to make quick work of cutting them up. While you are cutting up your chips you can have a pan of hot oil warming up...medium heat. I use a medium size cast iron skillet* and about 3/8" of oil in it. You also need something to manipulate the chips in the skillet. A fork will work but one of those deep fry scoops with the openings to let the oil go back in the pan is the easiest to use. After the oil is warmed up (about five minutes on an electric range...your mileage may vary) I throw in about four of the soft tortilla triangles at a time. It doesn't take long...maybe 45 seconds, tops. I flip them over about half way through to get a consistent result. You can vary the cook time to get chips that are crispy on the outside and sort of soft on the inside (which is kind of nice for variety's sake) or crispy all the way through. Fully cooked will have a light brown color and soft on the inside will be more of a golden color. I try and drain most of the oil back into the pan as I remove the chips but then I throw them onto a plate covered with a paper towel to dry them out completely.

After you have a pile of these they are best (in my opinion) when they are mixed in with some store bought chips in a large bowl. I like this because of the variety. Some times I'm grabbing a super hard and thin Tostito or Dorito chip and sometimes it's one of my homemade chips.

The second half of this snack is the dip. In this case, since we are dealing with tortilla chips, the dip is going to be salsa or picante sauce. I've never been much for picante sauce, myself, but I really like salsa. Finding the right salsa can be an exercise in frustration, though, because (if your grocery store is like mine) there are so many to choose from. It's like trying to find a good barbecue sauce**...same problem. One of these days I will venture into making my own but for now I'm just too lazy and there are just too many store bought varieties to choose from. Sometimes the best salsa can be found in the deli section of a grocery store where the stuff is made up fresh in the store itself. Sometimes not...it depends on the ability of the deli staff. What I do like in a salsa is a thick texture rather than liquid-like or soupy consistency. I like it to be finely minced so that there are no big chunks of stuff to fall off the chip. I like salsas with cilantro and chipotle and, if it's available, green chile (I like green chile on everything, just about...it's a New Mexico thing and we are located close enough to NM that it's everywhere in our area...even Pizza Hut and Subway have it as an ingredient). I tend to also like the hotter varieties...I don't bother with "mild" anything when it comes to salsa...medium to hot. Sometimes I will mix the medium with the hot. I'm not much of a fan of jalepenos...it's not the heat or the spiciness of the things, I just don't care for the jalepeno taste. But that's me.

Okay, so if anyone else wants to chime in on their favorite chip snack the rest of the thread is yours.

*I suppose you can use a deep fat fryer but I currently don't have one. Maybe soon, though. I've watched an episode of "Deep Fat Fry Masters" and I am tempted to try some of that stuff.

**Current favorite barbecue sauce is "Sweet Baby Ray's." Great on ribs. Or brisket. Or pulled pork. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:06:44 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Thoughts On Chips And Dips
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
I love just about any decent tortilla chips - yellow or white corn, thin or thick. I love spicy salsa, the spicier the better, as long as the flavor is good. Chipotle restaurant's green tomatillo salsa is one of my faves.

When the mood strikes me, I break out the little bottle of el Yucateca green habanero sauce. A pea-sized drop on a chip gives the most delicious flavor. Just gotta make sure to have a cold drink on hand.

We just came across a recipe for homemade soft pretzels. Best soft pretzels I've ever had.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
I've been thinking about making my own chips but haven't made the time to do it.

I make my own salsa.  Now everyone in my house has their favorite style--so I often make a base with tomatoes finely chopped (and then drained), a squeeze of lime, salt.  That's how some like it here.  I like finely chopped onion and garlic.   I also like cilantro and jalapenos but those aren't universally loved in this house so sometimes I'll just toss those on my plate later. 

My mother keeps trying to find a store-made salsa we like. The ones in the jar taste cooked and the fresh made ones in the deli taste too much like lime juice, vinegar or citric acid (as a preservative I guess).  We insist that home made is best and super easy. But like everything else she's determined not to listen to reason!

I love guacamole.  Mashed, lime and salt. Store bought is terrible but if I must I have to add plenty of garlic and lime juice to make it edible. Sometimes I'll mix in some salsa but usually not as I'm the only one who likes it that way.

Sometimes I have salsa and guacamole and chips for lunch.  :D

I've thought making my own chips would bring this favorite in our house up a notch. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
I make a mean cheeseball.  But I'll eat just about any chip & dip and I have the lovehandles to prove it!  ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
We just came across a recipe for homemade soft pretzels. Best soft pretzels I've ever had.

Feel free to post that one.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

2nd that
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »

2nd that

3 rd !!! ::popcorn::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
It's sort of cruel to dangle that out there...

Best soft pretzels I've ever had.

...and not fork over the goods.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Sure thing. Not too complicated.

1 pkg fast-rising dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 T sugar
4 cups flour
1 t salt
1 beaten egg (or two, to ensure coverage)
Kosher salt

In large mixing bowl, mix the yeast in water. Stir in sugar. Add flour 1 cup at a time, stirring until dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.

Place dough on floured surface. Knead dough 5 minutes. Divide into 16 even balls. On floured surface, roll balls into snakes about 12 inches long.

Make into pretzel shapes on large well-greased (or PAMed) cookie sheet, evenly spaced. Brush each pretzel thoroughly with beaten egg. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt on top. Bake in 425º oven until golden brown.*

*recipe says 12-15 minutes. We found that "golden brown" didn't happen until about 20 minutes. Your oven may vary, so start checking on them at about 12 minutes, and be ready to take them out when they're browned.

I like 'em plain; with mustard; with cheese sauce...

ETA: My wife reminds me that one time, we didn't have any fast-rising dry yeast, but we had some regular active dry. We just followed the instructions for preparing the the active dry yeast, subtracting the 1/4 cup of water and 1t of sugar we used to prepare the yeast from the above recipe. They turned out just fine.

So, if you make them with regular active dry yeast, using 1/4 cup of water and 1t of sugar for the yeast, adjust the above to 1 1/4cup warm water, and 2t sugar.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:17:22 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
thanks

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »
thanks

Yup. As I said, it's quite a simple recipe. I was nicely surprised at how well they turned out, and how much yummier and chewier that are than the kind you get at the movies/snack kiosk/ball game, etc.

One nice thing is the kosher salt/egg. You know how when you buy the soft pretzels that are hanging in the glass warmer; they take it out, spray it with  ::whatgives:: , and then sprinkle the thick chunks of salt that stick to the  ::whatgives:: ? With these, the salt is baked right into the egg glaze, and the salt doesn't "crunch" between your molars. Plenty salty, but more subtle.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Thanks, IDP!

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
Here's an article that I ran across last week and found it pretty interesting. It not only gives their versions of the classic dips (dill, french onion, etc...) but also gives some history of dips. It sounds like the "dip explosion" of the 1950's were a result of, among other things, Lipton's release of their dehydrated Onion Soup Mix.

Excerpt: Dehydrated soups, it seems. Created in the 1930s, the packets didn’t become popular until '40s when more and more soup companies started experimenting with them in the spirit of competition. It wasn’t until 1952 when the ultimate dehydrated soup was created: Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix. We call it the ultimate because of what it became, thanks to a California cook who decided to mix it with a little sour cream and dunk a chip into it only two years later. The dip, and the soup mix that made it, instantly became a hit and sales for Lipton’s soup mix soared. Eventually, the dip recipe would become a permanent fixture on the mix’s package. From there, the idea of "dips for chips" was born.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/your-grandmother-s-dips-reinvented

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
That's interesting, Maddy.  My mother was totally a house wife of the 50's-60's.  She made all those classics that middle America grew up with.  My husband said that when he first met my family one thing he noticed was that we loved our chips and dips.  hahaha  My mom still loves all that stuff. We don't have sour cream based dips at our house any more. We will eat salsa and guacamole.

I recently bought a cookbook from a church rummage sale that I remember my mom had.  It was published in the 60's and it has all these recipes for stuff that I wouldn't eat today.  But it amusing to read because it has hundreds of recipes for stuff I know people made back then. 

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
That's interesting, Maddy.  My mother was totally a house wife of the 50's-60's.  She made all those classics that middle America grew up with.  My husband said that when he first met my family one thing he noticed was that we loved our chips and dips.  hahaha

Too funny! Yep - same here re: my Mom. Her fav was french onion and we never ran out of that, lol. The dill dip (served with rye bread) seemed to only be for special occasions for whatever reason but was also another favorite when growing up.

My mom still loves all that stuff. We don't have sour cream based dips at our house any more. We will eat salsa and guacamole.

I recently bought a cookbook from a church rummage sale that I remember my mom had.  It was published in the 60's and it has all these recipes for stuff that I wouldn't eat today.  But it amusing to read because it has hundreds of recipes for stuff I know people made back then.

Excellent decision on your part. Not only a little slice of your family history to keep on the shelf, but I always think that - of all things - cookbooks reveal so much about the culture that many textbooks just can't.

Love the old cookbooks. In fact, now that we're into the age of Kindles, etc... those are probably one of the few collections of books that I'll keep (hardcopy.) Love 'em.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »
Oh, hotdish.  Mmm!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
Love the old cookbooks. In fact, now that we're into the age of Kindles, etc... those are probably one of the few collections of books that I'll keep (hardcopy.) Love 'em.

I have a bunch of old ones I rarely look at but I like those old funky recipes and illustrations. I once bought an old spiral notebook full of recipes clipped from the newspapers and magazines from the 70's, plus the previous owner had written down her old favorites.  I just loved it as a memento of another time.

I've taken to writing noted in my cookbooks. I figure if my kids are interested someday they might enjoy reading how I modified our favorites. I do have a habit of not writing down recipes I make up even though they always ask me to. Maybe that's why I like that old spiral notebook--it's a peek into someone's life.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »
The only dip that interests me is one my Mother used to make: cottage cheese/sour cream/garlic powder/black pepper/Locatelli Romano cheese.  I can eat twelve ounces -- and loaded chips -- all by myself.

Never much liked salsa.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"