Author Topic: I'll have to miss this one  (Read 1971 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I'll have to miss this one
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
I took my lovely bride to the movies last time I was home. They had a preview for the movie "Captain Phillips" based on the true story of a merchant marine ship being taken over by Somali pirates. The previews made the movie look pretty cool until one scene where the Somali says there's nothing for him to further himself like in America. So now Hollyweird has taken up piracy as a cause? Phuck 'em.

Here's a link to the movie and the trailer.

http://www.captainphillipsmovie.com/site/#home
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: I'll have to miss this one
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Yeah, cuz ya know, all the Somali pirates really want is for someone to listen to their grievances.

::jihadnanner::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Tom Hanks.  He burned his bridges with me.

'nuff said.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

'nuff said.

I have mixed feelings about him, although I think he's identified himself as at least a loyal Democrat, if not a full-on Leftist.

How could somebody who hates our country and its heritage with the burning hatred of a Leftist bring a wonderful tribute like "Band of Brothers" to the screen?

That's the extent of my mixed feelings, right there.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

How could somebody who hates our country and its heritage with the burning hatred of a Leftist bring a wonderful tribute like "Band of Brothers" to the screen?

Or Apollo-XIII or From The Earth to the Moon?

Yes, the big govt program to put a man on the moon is right up a leftist's alley, but the stories Hanks tells of that adventure don't harp on that.  Heck he even highlights Apollo-8 - orbiting the Moon on Christmas Eve, with  the Reading of Genesis ( yes the atheists back then made a fuss then too)  as Men (including Lovell, who would return on Apollo-13) orbited the moon for the first time. The first time anyone saw this:

Its probably the last time a big Leftist program worked, and it worked because thousands of private individuals MADE IT WORK, and those are the stories he tells -  of American Bravery, of American know how, and ingenuity.  Of course Kennedy wasn't a hard core enough leftist  , so they had him killed. The Moon program is simply one of the most Awe-inspiring things we have ever done as a nation ( just remember Sowell's lament - Whenever anyone says they don't understand how a country that put a man on the moon can't do ABC ( feed the poor,  provide everyone healthcare, etc) remind them its because we spent the money we could have used on ABC on going to the moon. )

So Yeah, I am still on the Fence concerning Hanks.  But then Joss Whedon just spouted a bunch of leftist crap and he produced Firefly.
Maybe some folks in Hollywood tow the line when they need to because they fear being blackballed, but still send us something wonderful from time to time.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:21:31 PM by Weisshaupt »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »
Somali's should stay in Somalia...or their cabs...

Hanks? Meh.  Don't give two whits either way, but I prefer avoidance.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
I'm guessing people like Hanks grew up with patriotic stuff so it's in them, buried deep, but they got to Hollywood and learned they're better.  So yeah, they can do something decent from time to time but only because they consider themselves Americans who know better than the rest of us.

Hanks is one of those that I can't watch because his politics overshadow his performance.

On the other hand, BO grew up with none of that so he has nada to draw on and it shows.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
I just don't like Hanks. Period.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Maybe some folks in Hollywood tow the line when they need to because they fear being blackballed, but still send us something wonderful from time to time.

I think there might be a mish-mash of reasons. We see glimpses of this same thing in someone like Tom Brokaw - a seemingly inexplicable cognitive dissonance - a Leftist, who venerates tradition, and seems to understand the roots of America's greatness.

We have to remember that Leftism is sold via lies. It has always been sold as a "moderate" ideology, rarely revealing its true agenda re; full-on collectivism, and complete coercive government control. It has been sold as the "helping-hand" ideology; the tolerant ideology; the youthful ideology; the peaceful ideology; the "nice" ideology; the (small-p) progressive ideology.

I think it is quite likely that people like Tom Hanks are liberal insofar as they have always understood liberalism - as sold to them. Their personal definition doesn't require hatred of America. They can hold their liberal beliefs, while still venerating things like space exploration or the WWII generation, without realizing that there should even BE a cognitive dissonance.

It doesn't excuse them. But I think it explains them, to an extent, in certain cases.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »

I think there might be a mish-mash of reasons. We see glimpses of this same thing in someone like Tom Brokaw - a seemingly inexplicable cognitive dissonance - a Leftist, who venerates tradition, and seems to understand the roots of America's greatness.

We have to remember that Leftism is sold via lies. It has always been sold as a "moderate" ideology, rarely revealing its true agenda re; full-on collectivism, and complete coercive government control. It has been sold as the "helping-hand" ideology; the tolerant ideology; the youthful ideology; the peaceful ideology; the "nice" ideology; the (small-p) progressive ideology.

I think it is quite likely that people like Tom Hanks are liberal insofar as they have always understood liberalism - as sold to them. Their personal definition doesn't require hatred of America. They can hold their liberal beliefs, while still venerating things like space exploration or the WWII generation, without realizing that there should even BE a cognitive dissonance.

It doesn't excuse them. But I think it explains them, to an extent, in certain cases.

So basically he's an idiot if he can't see true liberalism. Or do you think he just ignores it?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:40 AM »
As for Somali pirates, merchant vessels operating in that part of the world should be well armed and prepared to blow the sh*t out of any pirates attempting to board them. Screw these treaties about merchant vessels being unarmed. It didn't work during the golden age of piracy in the 17th and 18th centuries, and it doesn't work now.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:04:42 AM »

So basically he's an idiot if he can't see true liberalism. Or do you think he just ignores it?

Not an idiot. Just not much of a thinker. Or too willing to go along to be successful. Not a dyed-in-the-wool leftist idiot.

Ed Asner...now that's an idiot. World class.

Sean Penn: Idiot.

Matt Damon: Idiot.

Danny Glover: Idiot.

Cher: Idiot.

Streisand: Idiot.

The list goes on and on. Take any H'wood celeb...if they are willing to go to Cuba and French kiss Castro or talk up the wondrousness of Che Guevara well, there's your dividing line between the merely thoughtless and the actual brain dead.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:12:27 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 06:14:09 AM »
It's been said Howard Zinn was a Matt Damon family friend, so there ya go .......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/mark-tapson/matt-damon-brings-howard-zinn-to-life/

Fourteen years ago in his breakout performance as an arrogant young genius in the movie Good Will Hunting, actor Matt Damon’s character sneered at his Boston psychiatrist for “surrounding yourself with all the wrong f**kin’ books. You wanna read a real history book, read Howard Zinn’s People’s History of the United States. That book’ll f**kin’ knock you on your ass.”

That was from a script Damon himself had written (with fellow actor Ben Affleck, with Oscar-winning rewrite assistance from famed screenwriter William Goldman). It reflected Damon’s own real-life admiration for self-proclaimed radical historian Howard Zinn, whom he is still actively promoting today, almost two years to the day after Zinn’s death.

--SNIP--

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »

I think he goes with his feelings.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
Zinn, Damon et al can go screw themselves...it is trash like that that put trash like Obama et al in power...may they rot in Hell for eternity for destroying this once mighty Christian nation!

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

'nuff said.

I have mixed feelings about him, although I think he's identified himself as at least a loyal Democrat, if not a full-on Leftist.

That's the extent of my mixed feelings, right there.

Money? Money helps all things Leftist and Evil.
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Hanks, imo, is a danger.....He has the sense and the understanding to create works any conservative would cherish, but chooses to live in the liberal la la land. I believe he understands this nation and understands what liberalism is doing to it. Maybe creating patriotic flicks sooths his conscience.

Heck, I KNOW the asners and chers are leftists abd THINK this country is moving in the right direction. I believe hanks knows better.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
I dunno.  Maybe he doesn't know better...not sure a guy who started out in a sitcom sporting ladies garments really cares about knowing better about anything!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
I dunno.  Maybe he doesn't know better...not sure a guy who started out in a sitcom sporting ladies garments really cares about knowing better about anything!

good point
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."