Author Topic: Barilla pasta isn't gay enough  (Read 1853 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Barilla pasta isn't gay enough
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
An Italian gay rights group is calling for a boycott of Barilla, the world's largest pasta-making company, after its chairman made anti-gay comments.

ROME — Guido Barilla, chairman of the world's leading pasta manufacturer, prompted calls for a consumer boycott Thursday after telling Italian radio his company would never use a gay family in its advertising.

"I would never do (a commercial) with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect but because we don't agree with them. Ours is a classic family where the woman plays a fundamental role," Barilla, 55, said in an interview with Radio 24 Wednesday.

Barilla — one of the best known pasta brands around the world — is one of Italy's biggest advertisers, and for many years has used the image of a happy family living in an idealized version of the Italian countryside, with the slogan: "Where there's Barilla, there's home."

In the interview, Barilla said he opposed adoption by gay parents, but was in favor of allowing gay marriage, which is not legal in Italy. His comment about advertising was in response to a direct question about whether he would ever feature a gay family in his company's commercials.

If gays "like our pasta and our advertising, they'll eat our pasta, if they don't like it, then they will not eat it and they will eat another brand," he said.

link

Being in favor of gay marriage isn't enough.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Barilla pasta isn't gay enough
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
 ::facepalm::

Doesn't "agree" with a homosexual family but believes homo "marriage" should be allowed?  Hunh?  Something got lost in the translation there, I'm thinkin'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
::facepalm::

Doesn't "agree" with a homosexual family but believes homo "marriage" should be allowed?  Hunh?  Something got lost in the translation there, I'm thinkin'.

Yeah, thinking the same.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
Guess I'll be switching brands. The radical fags and dykes compel me to choose heteropasta.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
Guess I'll be switching brands. The radical fags and dykes compel me to choose heteropasta.

Not so fast IDP.

The president of Barilla is apologizing for saying that he would never use a gay family in the pasta maker's ads.

DOES NO ONE HAVE A BACKBONE ANY MORE?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
You mean to tell me there's ACTUALLY an Italian gay community? And they have this much power?

Phuck 'em.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
So, what's he gonna do? Go from, "we will never feature a gay family in our ads" to being the very first one to do so? Because he has to know, apology will not suffice. He will now be threatened to put his money where his mouth is.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
He will now be threatened to put his money where his mouth is.

Considering the topic, a mental image I do not need.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

Not so fast IDP.

The president of Barilla is apologizing for saying that he would never use a gay family in the pasta maker's ads.

DOES NO ONE HAVE A BACKBONE ANY MORE?

Apparently not.  And, judging from the comments, the guy's now pissed everybody off, homo and straight alike.

Good grief; do these business "heads" never learn?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
I  . .  I don't see how he could be any less offensive.  He made a business decision based on his beliefs.  He decided his target demographic was more important than any new business he may have gotten pandering.  He was very open and very respectful.  And you want to boycott him?  Is it any wonder why he doesn't want that kind of intolerance in his product message?

I feel like having a lot more pasta all of a sudden. . .
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
I  . .  I don't see how he could be any less offensive.  He made a business decision based on his beliefs.  He decided his target demographic was more important than any new business he may have gotten pandering.  He was very open and very respectful.  And you want to boycott him?  Is it any wonder why he doesn't want that kind of intolerance in his product message?

I feel like having a lot more pasta all of a sudden. . .

See:  Chik-fil-A.  The owner wasn't even talking about a business decision, but a personal view.  Nevertheless ......

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
This is what happens when people try to be baby-splitters...take a position, stick with it and live with the consequences.  Frankly the intolerant Left wants it both ways...they want to fry people for having personal views and the free expression thereof and they reward people who kowtow to a tiny minority of the population...if that isn't the sign of a mentally disturbed mindset I don't know what is.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
He apologized for offending anyone.  Didn't back off from his earlier comments though.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »
I would rewrite that to ..."bends over to Homo agenda"...

::vafancoul::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.