Author Topic: U.S. Coast Guard  (Read 3714 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: U.S. Coast Guard
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »
Hmmm......Doesn't work for me, either. But I did post the whole thing except for the photo and the video. I'm still learning here.

I think the link wouldn't work because it was a link you followed from your email, which appends that directive to the url. It was a specific link from your email to the URL.

I copied just the relevant part of the url in your post, followed it to make sure it worked, and then corrected your link once I verified it.

To avoid this in the future, if you follow a link from an email, erase the email appendage from the url after you paste it.

I didn't post it from my email. I posted the link from its web page. I dunno. But thanks!
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
Hello old - you aren't alone here anymore........with two of us we probably have them surrounded  ::thumbsup::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
Hello old - you aren't alone here anymore........with two of us we probably have them surrounded  ::thumbsup::

You old gasbag! Drop into the introduction thread and do it!

Hey, everyone! The 2nd Coastguardsman has entered!  ::whoohoo::

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
O noes!  We be overrun.   ::falldownshocked::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »

Fret not! We're the good guys!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »

Thank God!   ;D

Oh, and Pan, the proper term to use would be "swamped"!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »

Thank God!   ;D

We're not from da UP, but we can put on our swampers!  ::hysterical::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »

Thank God!   ;D

I stand corrected.   ::USA::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
"Up to our gills" would work too.   ;D

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
OK, all of you get it outta your systems!  ::laserkill::

Shallow water sailors. No one under 6' tall. Puddle Pirates.  ::)

It'll be nothing that Rusty and I haven't heard before!  ;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
OK, all of you get it outta your systems!  ::laserkill::

Shallow water sailors. No one under 6' tall. Puddle Pirates.  ::)

It'll be nothing that Rusty and I haven't heard before!  ;)

And I'm sure you Old Salties can take it.

After all, I'm sure between Tania and I we've heard every damn short joke in the world.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:05 AM »
Puddle Pirates!   ::hysterical::

Yeah, well...being an airdale on flattops I didn't care for what the bubbleheads (of whom one was a friend of mine I helped enlist...his insistance, I warned him!) called us - targets!

Thanks pal!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
It doesn't take very long when you're in the CG to hear all of the disparaging remarks - some of them joking, but many not. You have to learn to let it just roll off your back. I sometimes responded that if I saw them in the water after their boat sank I'd toss them our very best Coast Guard Approved concrete life preserver.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
Y'all had to work around civilians more than us blue water boys...probably ran into all sorts, we only had ourselves to pick on...more than just squid vs jarhead...we had issues a plenty with our own...too much time at sea can make a guy punchy!  It is what it is.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »
Quote from: oldcoastie6468 link( It'll be nothing that Rusty and I haven't heard before!  ;)
[/quote

::thinking::  The only thing old' 6468 - you forgot ------ 'Anchor Clanker'.

Bottom line is ALL of our military has a job and each is proud of their service, but out of the others, the Coast Guard is the only one training and executing every day to save lives.   ::beertoast::

The official motto of the CG is - "Always Ready", but anyone in or previous vets know the 'unofficial is "You have to go out - but you don't have to come back".

End of Commercial   ::exitstageleft::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Saw a bumper sticker for the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Never seen that before and looked it up. Looks like it's the CG reserves.

By the way, where does the CG train?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
Saw a bumper sticker for the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Never seen that before and looked it up. Looks like it's the CG reserves.

By the way, where does the CG train?

Coast Guard Auxiliary members are civilians who assist CG units using their own vessels in boarding, patrolling, etc. They are not members of the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard Receiving Center (Boot Camp) is at Cape May, NJ. Coast Guard schools are in several areas, depending on the speciality for which members are training. Some schools are shared with and by the other services.

Lifeboat training is off the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon; huge breakers, bad seas, and a great place to roll the 44 footers 360o.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
Quote from: oldcoastie6468 link( It'll be nothing that Rusty and I haven't heard before!  ;)
[/quote

::thinking::  The only thing old' 6468 - you forgot ------ 'Anchor Clanker'.

Bottom line is ALL of our military has a job and each is proud of their service, but out of the others, the Coast Guard is the only one training and executing every day to save lives.   ::beertoast::

The official motto of the CG is - "Always Ready", but anyone in or previous vets know the 'unofficial is "You have to go out - but you don't have to come back".

End of Commercial   ::exitstageleft::

Navy people are also referred to as Anchor Clankers.

"You have to go out - but you don't have to come back" was the motto when you and I were in the Coast Guard. Today's pussified Coast Guard can't use that term any more.

I remember a BM1 with whom I served in Charlevoix. The station got an SOS call, the weather was bad, the seas were 6' to 8', and one of the crewmembers - a fresh SA out of boot camp - refused to get on the CG 44 footer (a CG boat that would not sink and would roll 360o and come up running). The BM1 said, "Get your dammmed ass aboard this boat! Your life, our lives, and this whole dammmned boat aren't worth even one of the lives of the people we're going out to save!" They went out, came back with everyone who was on the boat that sank, and the SA had a whole new education of why he enlisted The Coast Guard.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
The BM1 said, "Get your dammmed ass aboard this boat! Your life, our lives, and this whole dammmned boat aren't worth even one of the lives of the people we're going out to save!"

Fancy that!  Just like the cops today, eh?

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Fancy that!  Just like the cops today, eh?

That was in the "Old Guard," which was really different from the "Old Guard" the senior petty officers referred to when Rusty and I were in the CG.

It's hell to see what today's Coast Guard has become.  ::oldman::