Author Topic: Hobbies and crafts  (Read 16744 times)

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Hobbies and crafts
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
I did not see anything on hobbies and crafts. I love to  do various craftsand love to share what I have done and see what others have done.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Hobbies and crafts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
I guess the Entertainment section is the likely spot for that, we can ask the Admins if a new section might make sense, might be a thread or two to pull out of Entertainment to help build it up.

Would this also include collectibles and such?  I've been a long time numismatist and philatelist.  Not so much the latter anymore but I still have my grandfathers collection he started, and coin collecting has been modified over the years to align it with TEOTWAWKI needs, but that necessarily includes a discussion of boating accidents IYKWIM.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
My hobby is genealogy. I've dated some of the 7900 people in my and my wife's family trees back to the mid-1500s.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Wooo!

My mother got into genealogy, and while I never shared her passion I'll be darned if she isn't going to leave my her safe full of files.  She's traced my father's said for 6 or 7 generations to spite him, and says she knows of an ancestor of ours from 11th century Ireland.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
Yeah genealogy is fascinating. My paternal grandmother was really into it and traced a lot of her family back quite far. I inherited all her records and research. I know less about the other side of my family. But some of her lines have been accurately documented back to the 1200s in Normandy. Kind of wild to look at names and places and know you are a direct descendent all these 800 years later.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
My mothers uncle did an exhaustive search on her paternal side, traced him to the Winthrop Fleet of 1630 and he is listed here with his wife and they settled in Roxbury (Boston).  Could not get anything before then, but that is pretty far back.  MY fathers side I could only trace back a couple generations to Ukraine, given all the wars ravaging the area (good thing my grandfather got out!) I hit a wall.  Fun to explore though.  The LDS folks did a good job cataloging stuff and I was able to find my grandfather and the ship he came in on when he was processed though Ellis Island.  Pretty neat.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »
I suggest we wait and see of a Hobbies section opens up to discuss any more genealogy.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
No need, if you wish to continue the discussion here.  Threads can be split and moved.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
I found out just about a year ago that I come from Irish stock.

Explains a lot.  ::falldownshocked::

I wish I could go back further, but that would take a lot of serious time. My g-g-grandfather sailed from Ireland sometime in the mid-nineteenth century as a young boy. Records are scant from that period, especially of young boys.  ::whatgives::
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
No need, if you wish to continue the discussion here.  Threads can be split and moved.

OK, then!

My family has Swedish and German roots with about 9 or 10 surnames. My wife's family has German, Irish, Canadian, with many surnames.

Many of the surnames were changed or spelled differently when the people immigrated to the US.

I do know that my g-grandmother on my mom's side came over from Germany on a cattle boat and was quarantined after arriving here because some of the cattle had anthrax.

Several of my Lindstrom ancestors drowned at sea in the 1700s and 1800s.

None of my side was here before the Civil War. My wife's g-g-grandfather served in the Union Navy during the Civil War in the Mississippi River on the USS INDIANOLA and was taken prisoner by the south after his ship was run aground during a gun battle near Natchez, MS. He spent time in Libby Prison and was swapped out on a POW exchange, after which he served on the USS CLARA DOLSON, a Navy receiving ship, in Cairo, IL. I have a photo of him and a copy of the transcript of his Navy service that I can post when I look into how to do it here.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »

I wish I could go back further, but that would take a lot of serious time. My g-g-grandfather sailed from Ireland sometime in the mid-nineteenth century as a young boy. Records are scant from that period, especially of young boys.  ::whatgives::

You can check the records of the immigrant ships from the period you think he may have come over here. Did he arrive in New York, Boston, or New Orleans?

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »

You can check the records of the immigrant ships from the period you think he may have come over here. Did he arrive in New York, Boston, or New Orleans?

Don't know. He wound up in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, but he could've sailed in to Montreal, or NY, or Boston, or anyplace. No time to track that sort of thing down. It's the proverbial brick wall, unless I want to spend major time and major bucks.
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
Two years ago about this time of year we discovered we were descended from a German who came over in 1751 who served in the Revolutionary War as a captain.  I'm waiting on my approval for my DAR application.

We discovered one Irish g+ grandfather in this line and my kids like to tease me that I'm more Irish than that guy in the Oval Office. I look forward to finding out about him.

We're working on proof of our line back to the Mayflower. The problem is we have a big hole in the 1800's we need to fill. And he's a passenger that hasn't gotten a lot of love so I look forward to honoring him with some research in the future.

I was under the impression until 2 years ago that our family lines didn't go back beyond the Civil War. Yeah, we have some who were politicians, actors, astronauts, World Series winners but the ones I'm most proud of are the ones who served in the military (a lot of them), worked hard and raised children who were productive. Not many slackers in the family lines until recently.  ::facepalm::

We have a tiny bit of info about families in Europe but we need to finish the history in the USA before we go after that info.

I put off doing a family history for years...I knew it's one of those things that once you pull on the thread you have to keep following it. 

I love to hear others' stories about their research and history.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Well, I'm not checking my family tree. I know my dad's mom never married but had 2 boys and I've been told from 2 different men. There is some craziness on my Mom's side too. ::speechless::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Well, I'm not checking my family tree. I know my dad's mom never married but had 2 boys and I've been told from 2 different men. There is some craziness on my Mom's side too. ::speechless::

We had one relative who embezzled money and ran off to Alaska never to be heard from again. And one woman who ran off and left her kids with dad and later married some other guy (back in the 1800's--must have been a big scandal at the time!).
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
I am related to an axe murderer. She was one of the few women ever executed by the state of North Carolina.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
I am related to an axe murderer. She was one of the few women ever executed by the state of North Carolina.

DAY-UM! That's quite a pedigree you've got!  ::bows::
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
I'm related to Captain Christopher "Kit" Carson.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
To my knowledge we've had no criminals on either side of our families. One of my Swedish relatives died in an almshouse (sp?) (poor House) in Sweden.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:37 PM »
Euph, major time is an understatement. The only expense I've had is a subscription to Ancestry.com for its worldwide searches. I also belong to a couple of Irish, Swedish and German websites for genealogists. I also belong to the LDS website.