Author Topic: Hobbies and crafts  (Read 16805 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Hobbies and crafts
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
Some surnames I research are: Lindstrom, Herrmann (think of the variations), Ryan, Coen, Carney, Bollnow, Krueger (ditto on the variations), Ahlgren, Gode, Goude, Godet, Goode, Goody (all variations in the history of my paternal grandmother), Block, Stoltz, and Petersen (not Peterson). Locations include Sweden, Germany, Ireland, Alsace-Lorraine in France and/or Germany (depending...), NY, IL, IN, MI, CA, AZ, WA, MA and MN.

I began this about 18 years ago, and I am now addicted.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
Some surnames I research are: Lindstrom, Herrmann (think of the variations), Ryan, Coen, Carney, Bollnow, Krueger (ditto on the variations), Ahlgren, Gode, Goude, Godet, Goode, Goody (all variations in the history of my paternal grandmother), Block, Stoltz, and Petersen (not Peterson). Locations include Sweden, Germany, Ireland, Alsace-Lorraine in France and/or Germany (depending...), NY, IL, IN, MI, CA, AZ, WA, MA and MN.

We have Alsace-Lorraine in our family also though not with your surnames or locations.  We have copies of the papers they signed in the 1800's declaring themselves French after the Germans once again took over the area.  They came to the USA a few years later.

I've only been at this 2 years. 

I'm probably going to stay up late during research now.  Thanks a lot!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
My paternal grandpa and his cousin were always really interested in the family genealogy, and actually compiled a book that follows through to my children. It goes back to a couple generations before the first immigrants. I have one copy, and my dad and uncle each have one. Beyond that, I'm sure some other relatives have one, but I couldn't say who for sure.

There is a post Civil War era photo in the book of a direct ancestor who was a judge, and the guy looks scarily like my dad, only with a handlebar mustache. Genes are cool.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »
My paternal grandpa and his cousin were always really interested in the family genealogy, and actually compiled a book that follows through to my children. It goes back to a couple generations before the first immigrants. I have one copy, and my dad and uncle each have one. Beyond that, I'm sure some other relatives have one, but I couldn't say who for sure.

There is a post Civil War era photo in the book of a direct ancestor who was a judge, and the guy looks scarily like my dad, only with a handlebar mustache. Genes are cool.

Books like that are a treasure!  We have one too.  At beginning of the 20th century it was popular to put together family histories.  Someone in our family worked on one for 20 years.  It was published in early 1900's and was updated a few years ago. 

If anyone has original documents please preserve them properly!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
More interesting notables on my maternal grandfathers side, some president (Harrison?) is a blood relative, lots of vets from Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Indian campaigns and Civil War...WWI.  WWII-Vietnam on fathers side.

And the time commitment thing is no joke...my Aunt handed off the family records on the maternal side of my family thinking I would enjoy finishing what my great uncle started...OK, well, he had the more interesting job of digging into ancestors...trying the flesh out the multitudes that have reproduced where he left off (my generation, which means at least 3 more generations!)...?

::speechless::

::exitstageleft::

Maybe when I have abosolutely nothing else to do!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »

We have Alsace-Lorraine in our family also though not with your surnames or locations.  We have copies of the papers they signed in the 1800's declaring themselves French after the Germans once again took over the area.  They came to the USA a few years later.

I've only been at this 2 years. 

I'm probably going to stay up late during research now.  Thanks a lot!

You are most welcome! I'm here to serve humanity!!!!!  ::rimshot::

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »
Euph, major time is an understatement. The only expense I've had is a subscription to Ancestry.com for its worldwide searches. I also belong to a couple of Irish, Swedish and German websites for genealogists. I also belong to the LDS website.

I also registered for the ancestry.com site and used it quite a bit for awhile, and then it became clear that I was going to have to go elsewhere to get additional information and that's when I hit the brick wall.

I dropped the ancestry.com thing -- at $30 a month, it wasn't worth it. I printed out everything I'd been able to gather to that point, so that stuff isn't lost, but I just couldn't justify keeping it.

ancestry.com is a good resource, though.
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
I found out I can access ancestry.com at our library so I'm going to try that.  Don't know if that gets me full access but since hubby doesn't have a job yet I can't justify keeping the membership.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Euph, major time is an understatement. The only expense I've had is a subscription to Ancestry.com for its worldwide searches. I also belong to a couple of Irish, Swedish and German websites for genealogists. I also belong to the LDS website.

I also registered for the ancestry.com site and used it quite a bit for awhile, and then it became clear that I was going to have to go elsewhere to get additional information and that's when I hit the brick wall.

I dropped the ancestry.com thing -- at $30 a month, it wasn't worth it. I printed out everything I'd been able to gather to that point, so that stuff isn't lost, but I just couldn't justify keeping it.

The LDS site is absolutely free.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »
Hi, anybody into sewing or quilting?  What kind of machine(s) do you have? I have a Husqana Viking. I love to sew!

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

The LDS site is absolutely free.

Got a link for that?

The funny thing is, I lived in Salt Lake City between 2000-2004, and I never even thought to use their formidable genealogy resources.

I had thought that, as a non-LDS person, I'd have to use their database only through a local LDS ward (church). There is one where I live, but I haven't looked into what their requirements are.
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
Here ya go, Eupher.

https://familysearch.org/search

If there's an LDS library near you, it is also free to do research there, and they'll get you what you seek from the Salt Lake headquarters. They are scattered in the various the states.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
The National Archives also have regional offices so if you're with driving distance of one you can access their information in person that isn't online.  I haven't done that yet.

http://www.archives.gov/locations/

Oh, they're shut down now.  So twiddle your thumbs until they reopen.  ::laughonfloor::

The online database is still available but as they posted "might not be up to date" due to shutdown.

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
Here ya go, Eupher.

https://familysearch.org/search

If there's an LDS library near you, it is also free to do research there, and they'll get you what you seek from the Salt Lake headquarters. They are scattered in the various the states.

Thanks. I did a preliminary probe and got nowhere. But it may take more poking and prodding.
U.S. Army, Retired

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
No one site has everything you look for.

Also try Genforum.com.  It's free, too (at least the last time I used it).

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
So, has anyone begun or added to their genealogy records lately? Last week I added some more people, and the total number of individuals in my tree is now 1827. I also found some people that had multiple spouses, and different lines of children, which I didn't previously know.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
I haven't done much. I did discover that some of my ancestors lived in the same small town in NC as my MIL's relatives. As far as I can see though none married each other.

I will work on my family history over Christmas break with my kids.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
I had a 1800s Swedish g-g-uncle --- a sailor --- die at sea, and another 1800s Swedish g-g-uncle die in an almshouse (poorhouse) in Sweden.

I've about thrown my hands up in surrender as far as German relatives. So many records were destroyed by the wars. And the spelling of German and Swedish surnames changed through the years.

Nonetheless, I keep plugging away at it, and I add another individual or 5 in any given month.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
I'm fortunate in that the history of my German ancestors in America (pre-Revolutionary War) was written down in the late 1800's. We know the building in Germany that the family lived in (it still exists) and the original farm house in the US still stands (incorporated into other structures over the centuries).

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
With a few holes, I have the histories of our families on the USA. My families came here after the Civil War, and my wife's came here, some through Canada, before the Civil War, and I have their histories too. My wife's G-Grandfather was in the Union Navy stationed aboard the USS INDIANOLA, an ironclad, when the ship was run aground by Confederate Navy boats on the Mississippi River north of Natchez.

VERBATIM TEXT FROM THE CERTIFICATE OF RECORDS
   REGARDING THE MILITARY HISTORY OF

LEWIS CARNEY

-: THIS CERTIFIES that LEWIS CARNEY :-

Enlisted from Erie County, New York, on the 22nd day of December, 1862, to serve one year in the United States Naval Service and shipped as an Able Seaman on the "Clara Dolson" Mississippi Flotilla, from Cairo, Illinois, under Captain George Brown.

He served for a period on the U. S. R. S. "Clara Dolson". In January, 1863, he was sent aboard the U. S. S. "Indianola", Lieutenant- Commander George Brown, and steamed down the Mississippi River under order Acting Rear Admiral David D. Porter, to blockade Vicksburg, thus assisting Gen. Grant and Sheridan in their siege. On the night of February 13, 1863, the U. S. S. "Indianola", under orders of Acting Rear Admiral Porter run the Confederate Shore Batteries at Vicksburg, and Warrenton, Miss., being under a continuous fire for several hours. The vessel proceeded as far as Red River and there proceeded to return with a Coal- Barge lashed to either side to the mouth of the Yazoo River. About nine o'clock on the night of February 24, 1863, the U. S. S. "Indianola" was attacked by the Confederate Steamer "W. H. Webb", "Queen of the West", "Grand Era", and "Batey". After an action of nearly an hour and a half of ineffectual ramming, the C. S. S. "W. H. Webb", butted the U. S. S. "Indianola" in the stern, splitting her open and causing her to sink. Lieutenant Commander Brown, his officers and a crew of less than one hundred men after a brave defense against a Confederate force of four armed vessels, and over one thousand men, surrendered themselves as prisoners of war. The captured officers and men were first taken to Fort Jackson, thence they were sent to Richmond, Va., and were confined in Libby Prison. About the middle of May, 1863, Carney and others of the crew of the U. S. S. "Indianola" were exchanged at City Point, Va., and sent to Washington, D.C. In July 1863 they were returned to the U. S. R. S. "Clara Dolson" at Cairo, Ill.

In august, 1863, the said Lewis Carney was promoted to Boat-swain's Mate and joining the U. S. S. "Champion", Acting Master Alfred Phelps commanding, he served on her while doing patrol duty at the mouth of the Red River until discharged.

He was at all times with his command, except while held as a prisoner of war. As noted above and achieved an enviable record for bravery in action and soldierly bearing at all times.

He received an Honorable Discharge at Cairo, Illinois, on the 22nd day of February, 1864, by reason of expiration of term of service.

He was born at Lockport, Niagara County, N. Y., on the 21st day of March, 1834.

His marriage was to Anna Davern, at Buffalo, New York, on the 3rd day of July, 1864, from which union were born the following children, vis:- Mary Lester, Teresa, Lewis, Margaret, Cecilia, John, David and Frank.

He is a member of Richardson Post, No. 254, Department of New York, Grand Army of the Republic.

His wife is an active and honored member of L. C. B. A.

When quite young the said Lewis Carney sailored on Lake Boats and later on a merchantman from New York City to South America; make one trip to China and eight or ten trips to Liverpool, Hamburg, and other foreign ports, before the war.

These facts are thus recorded and preserved for the benefit of all whose who may be interested.

(Compiled from Official and Authentic Sources by the Soldiers and Sailors Historical and Benevolent Society)

In testimony whereof, I hereunto set my hand and cause to be affixed the seal of the Society.

Done at Washington, D. C. this 25th day of August, A.D. 1903.

(ss) C. D. Coyne
No. 43200

http://civilwardailygazette.com/2013/02/24/the-surrender-of-the-uss-indianola-subdued-by-an-old-friend/