Author Topic: Hobbies and crafts  (Read 16762 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Hobbies and crafts
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
We just started a little over two years on our family histories. I'd thought about researching the families but I suspected that it would be addictive and I just didn't have the time.  Then a little over 2 years ago to entertain my daughter who was ill and recovering from surgery I told family stories--most she'd heard--including the one about my grandfather being an inventor that she didn't know. She decided to look online and sure enough some of his patent applications had been digitized and she found them.  This lead her to discovering my grandmother's maiden name and that she was descended from a Revolutionary War patriot. And the rest, as they say, is history.   ::laughonfloor::

It is addictive.  I've roped my daughter, my brother and now my mother-in-law into researching family.  From what I've found we've had family serving in every war or conflict since the French & Indian War, both sides of the Civil War on down to today.

It's funny to see people's reactions to talking about genealogy.  My daughter and I love to hear other's stories. My mother is only interested in her family history which has been  pretty funny sharing with her.  It took us a year to get her to understand who she was related to.  Her great grandmother married 3 times and her grandfather remarried also.  So she grew up with all these people who were in and out of her life and she didn't know how they were related to her until we told her.  We've discovered some very nice people online willing to share any information and others who are "don't bother me, this is my information" type people.

It's been fun.  I feel like we've learned so much and we haven't been at it all that long.  I've met people doing this for 30+ years.  It's wonderful to have the internet to do some of this!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:41 PM »
Hi everyone!! Well my newest project is making a wardrobe for Barbie Dolls/Disney Princess. I am finishing up the design. I making the  dress hangers out of pipe cleaners(ones with glitter?). There will be two wardrobes total for one great niece a piece for Xmas.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
I've spent the last two DAYS going through old family photos. By old, I mean back to about 1890. Some people are identified, most are not.

I have about 60 more to scan, in addition to the 35 I scanned yesterday. Then I'll attach them to the family tree.

And this is only for MY side of the family. My wife's side is mostly done already.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
Hi everyone!! Well my newest project is making a wardrobe for Barbie Dolls/Disney Princess. I am finishing up the design. I making the  dress hangers out of pipe cleaners(ones with glitter?). There will be two wardrobes total for one great niece a piece for Xmas.

There you are!  I was wondering where you went.

My Mother did that for my Barbie when I was about nine.  Several nice outfits, and the piece de resistance was the bridal gown, complete with long veil (she used an old, lace curtain for both).  It was so beautiful, one of my cousins begged her for one too.

Pictures, Tania?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
I know Tania, and she sometimes has many other things on her plate. But she will always return to us; she likes the people here.

(Perhaps, except for ME!)  ::hysterical::

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
I know Tania, and she sometimes has many other things on her plate. But she will always return to us; she likes the people here.

Okay, good to know.  And I suspect she likes even you.   :D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Barbies!

I forgot about the Barbies. This gives me fodder for another tale (oh God, not another one!)...

;)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »

Okay, good to know.  And I suspect she likes even you.   :D

Yes. But we all have our own crosses to bear....  ::popcorn::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »

Barbies!

I forgot about the Barbies. This gives me fodder for another tale (oh God, not another one!)...

;)

Oh yes!  Pleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeze.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
When my 2 oldest were of the Barbie-playing age I sewed a box full of clothes for their Barbies.  Oh, boy, did they love playing with their Barbies.  So one winter several weeks before Christmas I set out to make as many outfits as I could.  I'd put them to bed and then head down to the basement and sew. I enjoyed it.  I know some don't like the small pieces but I actually liked it.

This year I making some stuff for my youngest's American Girl dolls (yes, plural because apparently you can't have just one-they need friends).

About 5 years ago I found a "collector" baby doll at Goodwill for $4.99. It's vinyl and at the time you could buy it for $150 (it's a "brand name") from the manufacturer's website.  It looks like a real 3-month old baby girl and weighted to feel like a real baby. I sewed up a bunch of clothes and gave it to my daughter for Christmas. It didn't go on a shelf wrapped in tissue paper that's for sure.  She loved playing with it.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."