Author Topic: grammar question  (Read 2396 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: grammar question
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »
Ah'm good widdat.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »
Since we're talking English grammar, perhaps someone has some insight into this puzzle:

Obama! Yes! Everybody in Cleveland, low minorities, got Obama phone. Keep Obama in president, you know? He gave us a phone! He gonna do more! You sign up. If you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, you disability. Romney, he sucks! Bad!

Shouldn't it be "Keep Obama in da president"... "He give us a phone"... "If you be on food stamps"... "You be on Social Security"... "You got da low income"... "You is disability"... "Romney, he a crackah"...

::whatgives::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
Since we're talking English grammar, perhaps someone has some insight into this puzzle:

Obama! Yes! Everybody in Cleveland, low minorities, got Obama phone. Keep Obama in president, you know? He gave us a phone! He gonna do more! You sign up. If you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, you disability. Romney, he sucks! Bad!

Shouldn't it be "Keep Obama in da president"... "He give us a phone"... "If you be on food stamps"... "You be on Social Security"... "You got da low income"... "You is disability"... "Romney, he a crackah"...

Should really be: He gib us da fone.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »

You'd have needed to study Ebonics .... and since the evil White oppressors have prevented that, there are few expert translators.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
I'm here to help people. So.....

EBONICS FOR TODAY

Ebonics class homework assignment from the Oakland, California, school district, with LeRoy Muhammad Alshooba-Farooki’s responses.

DEFINE THE FOLLOWING TERMS
1.   RECTUM      I had 2 Cadillacs, but my wife rectum.
2.   HOTEL      I gib my girlfriend da crabs an da hotel everybody.
3.   FORECLOSE   After I pay alimony, I got no money foreclose.
4.   DISAPPOINTMENT   If I miss disappointment, I be sended back to da bighouse.
5.   PENIS      The doctor handed me a cup and said penis.
6.   UNDERMINE   Day be a fine lookin ho in da apartment undermine.
7.   ACOUSTIC      My uncle bought me acoustic and took me to da pool hall.
8.   SELDOM      I got 2 tickets for da Bulls game so I seldom.
9.   HONOR      At da rape trial, da judge axed me, “Who be honor first?”
10.   ODYSSEY      I tol my brother, “You oddysey the jugs on that ho!”
11.   AXE         De policeman want to axe me some questions.
12.   TRIPOLI      I couldn’t find no tripoli bra fo my ol lady.
13.   FORTIFY      I axed the ho, “How much?”  She say, “Fortify.”
14.   INCOME      I just got in bed wit da ho and income my ol lady.
15.   ISRAEL      I said, “Man, dat Rolex look fake.”  He said, “No, Isreal”
16.   STAIN      My mother-in-law axed if I was stain for supper again.
17.   CATACOMB   I be see Don King yesterday.  Man, somebody give dat catacomb!
18.   BENIGN      What you be after you be eight.
19.   IMPOTENT      I be a impotent brudder in da ‘hood.

LeRoy got an “A.”

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:57 AM »

You'd have needed to study Ebonics .... and since the evil White oppressors have prevented that, there are few expert translators.

Indeed. Rest in Peace, Barbara...

Airplane! - Jive Scene with Translation [1080p]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

EBONICS FOR TODAY

Ebonics class homework assignment from the Oakland, California, school district, with LeRoy Muhammad Alshooba-Farooki’s responses.

LeRoy got an “A.”

So all these kids get "A's" for their "ebonics" then what?  They still can't function in the world.  It's about functioning as productive citizens.  But they don't have to --they get a pass because maybe they're from slaves.  Skip the farce just give all A's and see how well everything goes then.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
That sh*t be giving me a headache!   :o
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
There's a reason the expression  is "that smarts"! :)
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 04:14:55 AM »
One very important rule is NOT to base your own grammar and usage on what you hear reporters say . Some of the worst grammar comes from the talking heads on television .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:38 AM »
One very important rule is NOT to base your own grammar and usage on what you hear reporters say . Some of the worst grammar comes from the talking heads on television .

True, and the dying print media is not exempt from massive errors...haven't read a newspaper in years, but the writing then wasn't worthy of grade school quality by my standards, cannot believe it has imporved at all over the years.  Even the articles we link here, often from top-line and/or reputable sources can be riddled with errors!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »

It really bugs me when all of the media mixes singular pronouns with plural verbs! "He'll be sorry because it goes on their record."

Geez!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

It really bugs me when all of the media mixes singular pronouns with plural verbs! "He'll be sorry because it goes on their record."

Geez!

I love to point out the mistakes reporters make.  I've done that several times over the years here at IAL.  They think they know so much but can't put together a correct sentence.

And yes, that use of "their" because they're afraid to use just "he" or "she" is annoying.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
Yes. Misuse of "their" is entirely because of PC feminist moaning. It used to be perfectly understood that in the English language the masculine pronoun is also used when the gender is unknown. The moonbats have gone so far as to advocate entirely new grammatical constructs, such as in Sweden:

Just days after International Women’s Day a new pronoun, hen (pronounced like the bird in English), was added to the online version of the country’s National Encyclopedia. The entry defines hen as a “proposed gender-neutral personal pronoun instead of he [han in Swedish] and she [hon].”The National Encyclopedia announcement came amid a heated debate about gender neutrality that has been raging in Swedish newspaper columns and TV studios and on parenting blogs and feminist websites. It was sparked by the publication of Sweden’s first ever gender-neutral children’s book, Kivi och Monsterhund (Kivi and Monsterdog). It tells the story of Kivi, who wants a dog for “hen’s” birthday. The male author, Jesper Lundqvist, introduces several gender-neutral words in the book. For instance the words mammor and pappor (moms and dads) are replaced with mappor and pammor.

http://moonbattery.com/?p=10515
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »
 ::puke::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
Great...how soon till that jumps the pond...

::facepalm::

::rockets::

RickZ

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
Let me know when they start using  'hisicanes'.  Or will that be 'henicanes'?

This crap makes my head hurt.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
Moonbattery indeed.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
Moonbattery indeed.

Falls right in line with their "feminists" demanding all men pee sitting down.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »
Moonbattery indeed.

Falls right in line with their "feminists" demanding all men pee sitting down.

I missed that...thankfully