Author Topic: 3.5 Acre Farm hit in Texas  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
3.5 Acre Farm hit in Texas
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/093013-673141-militarization-of-police-as-dallas-acquires-mrap.htm?ven=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This would have started me shooting. If I couldn't get the SWAT, I would have gone house to house and executed each one of my neighbors. 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: 3.5 Acre Farm hit in Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
I wish Janny was still among us. She was the lone voice who called us all crackpots for believing the "Alex Jones/PrisonPlanet" folks, that these MRAP vehicles are being recommissioned for use inside the US. She left us over it. I'd like to rub her snout in that, right about now.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
I wish Janny was still among us. She was the lone voice who called us all crackpots for believing the "Alex Jones/PrisonPlanet" folks, that these MRAP vehicles are being recommissioned for use inside the US. She left us over it. I'd like to rub her snout in that, right about now.

Quite pertinent that it isn't "Alex Jones/PrisonPlanet" reporting this, but Investor's Business Daily.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

Quite pertinent that it isn't "Alex Jones/PrisonPlanet" reporting this, but Investor's Business Daily.

Sometimes the truth is what one cannot believe. I s'pose I don't blame someone for not wanting to face the sh*tstorm we're in. But then get the hell out of the way. Which, I s'pose, is exactly what Janny did.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
link to the farm's web pages describing dispute
The Fight for Our Rights- An Overview of the Situation and Issues at Hand

What's Happening:

Since February of 2013, the alleged City of Arlington has been engaged with the Garden of Eden in a dispute over city code violations on the small community's land. The situation came to a boil on Friday, August 2nd of 2013 when an early morning SWAT raid was conducted by the Arlington Police at the Garden of Eden, during which the grass was cut and many trailers full of materials were removed from the premises by the City.

How it Started:

Citations were initially issued for grass that was too tall, bushes growing too close to the street, a couch and piano in the yard, chopped wood that was not properly stacked, a piece of siding that was missing from the side of the house, and generally unclean premises.

The community responded by trimming the bushes growing into the road immediately because it was easy to see how that was an issue that could affect others and therefore was a perfectly reasonable request. The other issues cited are seen by the community members as a private matter of preference, since it is taking place entirely within the confines of their private land and has no effect on anyone.

Attempts at Resolution:

Garden of Eden representative Shellie Smith has since sent more than 20 letters of correspondence in hopes of resolving the matter lawfully and peacefully. Lawful notifications on record have been sent certified mail to Curtis Jones, the code compliance officer who made the initial complaint, Code Compliance employees Mike Bass, Neal Lucas, Lisa Duncan, City Manager Trey Yelverton, Mayor Robert Cluck and Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson. Not a single one of these individuals replied or responded to Smith with a phone call or written response of any kind.

In her lawful notification on record, Smith has requested to be shown what law grants the city government jurisdiction over her and her land, as jurisdiction must first be established...

An Unlawful Raid

Press Release:

At around seven thirty on the morning of Friday, August 2nd 2013, inhabitants of The Garden of Eden were awakened by a SWAT raid conducted by the City of Arlington for suspicion of being a full fledged marijuana growth and trafficking operation and for city code violations. Ultimately, only a single arrest was made based on unrelated outstanding traffic violations, a handful of citations were given for city code violations, and zero drug related violations were found.

The entire operation lasted about 10 hours and involved many dozens of city officials, SWAT team, police officers and code compliance employees, and numerous official vehicles including dozens of police cars and several specialized vehiculas that were involved in the “abatement” operation. Witnesses say that there were helicopters and unmanned flying drones circling the property in the days prior to the raid that are presumed to have been a part of the intelligence gathering. The combined expenses for the raid itself and the collection of information leading up to the fruitless raid are estimated in the tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars.

All 8 adults present in the house were initially handcuffed at gunpoint by heavily armed SWAT officers, including the mother of a 22 month old and a two week old baby who was separated from her children during the raid. The police enforced activity on the day of the raid included mowing the grass, the forcible destruction of both wild and cultivated plants like blackberries, lamb’s quarters and okra, and the removal of other varied materials from around the premises such as pallets, tires, and cardboard that the Community members say they had collected for use in sustainability projects. No marijuana or other drugs were found on site and the inhabitants of the premises were all unarmed.

After several hours and many requests from the community members, the City Police Officers finally produced two warrants. The first was a Search Warrant for a suspected marijuana growth and distribution operation purportedly being concealed on the premises. There was also an Inspection & Abatement Warrant for code compliance violations such as tall grass and storage in the yard, an issue that the City of Arlington and The Garden of Eden have been disputing since February of this year. 

The marijuana warrant was issued based on an unsubstantiated claim by an Arlington City Detective Perez of possession of marijuana by one of the community members for which there is no police record. Garden of Eden community members also say they have a series of documents showing that their dispute with the City of Arlington over the code compliance violations had already been addressed and settled. Shellie Smith is in possession of numerous bona fide contracts very clearly agreed to that the City of Arlington has no jurisdiction to enforce the matters at hand and that there were no crimes taking place. All of these bonafide documents were sent certified mail and received by Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson on multiple occasions as well as numerous City Officials.

Landowner Shellie Smith states that she has been requesting a peaceful and honorable resolution since the onset of the dispute in February, requesting the aid of the City Manager Trey Yelverton, Sheriff Dee Anderson and Mayor Robert Cluck, but has received no response in the matter. Ms. Smith says “the City codes are in violation of our natural and Constitutional rights to live freely while causing damage to no one, and since there is no damaged party, there has been no crime committed on our part. Rather, the City of Arlington has trespassed and committed robbery against us, amongst other crimes, and will be held accountable in a court of law in due time. We have been targeted by the system because we are showing people how to live without it. We are growing more than just tomatoes here, we are growing the consciousness that will allow people to live freely and sustainably, and the system doesn’t want that to be known.”

Ok, so it looks like these folks are hippies but it seems to me that their claims are credible.  I looked at the area on Zillow.  It looks like there's a lot of land around them for sale. And just north of them maybe a mile or two are homes going up that are large (3900+ sq ft) for 1/2 mil or more.  Can't help but wonder if the "neighborhood" and city have other motives here.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »

Sometimes the truth is what one cannot believe. I s'pose I don't blame someone for not wanting to face the sh*tstorm we're in. But then get the hell out of the way. Which, I s'pose, is exactly what Janny did.

You're more ... charitable .... than I.  Hiding from/ignoring the sh*tstorm helps continue the status quo until it fall down, go boom.  Then we're faced with having to, if not deal with, then at least ignore them as we pick up the pieces and they stagger around, shellshocked.

I am weary to death of having to navigate around children posing as adults.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
I am weary to death of having to navigate around children posing as adults.

Some days that depresses me more than anything else.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
Ok, so it looks like these folks are hippies but it seems to me that their claims are credible.

It doesn't appear to me they were hurting anyone or anything or being unreasonable.  They conceded the bushes needed trimming and did so.  The "raiders" didn't even find a substance they could characterize as toxic waste.  The materials -- or junk -- laying around couldn't even be seen by the publickkkk, judging by what you saw on Zillow.

They just wanted to be left alone to live as they chose.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Ok, so it looks like these folks are hippies but it seems to me that their claims are credible.

It doesn't appear to me they were hurting anyone or anything or being unreasonable.  They conceded the bushes needed trimming and did so.  The "raiders" didn't even find a substance they could characterize as toxic waste.  The materials -- or junk -- laying around couldn't even be seen by the publickkkk, judging by what you saw on Zillow.

That is not allowed!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
Obviously not.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
Nobody is allowed to be left alone and live as they choose, that is NOT possible in Amerika today...this whole thing started as a local "code" issue and blew up into a military style raid on unarmed people.

Well, that right there at the end is part of the problem, should be armed!  Sure, allowing even the most lowly bureaucrat the slightest leeway in ruling his empire leads to overreactions like this...more proof that government at ALL levels is way too fricken large and intrusive...but one error doesn't absolve the latter - get some damn guns and be prepared to use them!

So sick of this Gestapo sh*t!!!   ::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
I find it hard to believe what the city of Arlington has accomplished. They have now made HOA's seem like kindergartners instead of nazis.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

There may be Zoning and Code considerations, but once you bring a MRAP and a SWAT team to enforce "code violations" while you mow down the property.  you are WAY over the point of reasonable response.  In most jurisdictions code violations lead to the land being sized by the county and the owners evicted.  Doesn't look like that happened here , and you certainly don't get to that point after a half a year. And the city still has no authority to clean up the lot till AFTER they have it seized. That is usually several court hearings and negotiations after the county first complains.

It was probably a bunch of Liberals from California in the expensive  who moved in on these hippies and felt that they were lowering property values. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »
Will anybody see or understand the lesson of the crockodile?

::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.