Author Topic: Tom Clancy  (Read 1935 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Tom Clancy
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Tom Clancy, 66

He was on top of the world, 15 years ago or so, to be replaced (in my mind, anyway) by Vince Flynn.  Now they're both gone, too early.  :'(

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Tom Clancy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
Bummer. Far too young. RIP.
 ::USA:: ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
Yeah, liked his earlier books...the tag-team stuff of recent years I took a pass on.  But 66 is damn young.  RIP.   ::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Eupher

• Newb
    • Euph's site
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
Yeah, liked his earlier books...the tag-team stuff of recent years I took a pass on.  But 66 is damn young.  RIP.   ::USA::

Agreed. His Study in Command series was excellent - an insight into senior military leadership. Not 100% sure, but I suspect a lot of that tag-team stuff was written by up-and-comers, with Clancy's periodic "assistance." I could be wrong about that.
U.S. Army, Retired

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
Orson Scott Card has a great write up about the "tag team" writing.  It's just as I thought.  The Named author writes an outline, and an unknown fleshes it out.  It's done for easy royalties, and to keep a Named author's name in the news.

OSC also called 99.99% of such efforts, total crap.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
We'll miss ya.   :'(
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Orson Scott Card has a great write up about the "tag team" writing.  It's just as I thought.  The Named author writes an outline, and an unknown fleshes it out.  It's done for easy royalties, and to keep a Named author's name in the news.

I won't read those books.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
I was surprised to hear he was only 66.  He always seemed older when I saw him on TV (he has appeared on a few shows on History and the Military Channel). These days 66 is pretty young.  I've always liked the Hunt for Red October, even with that prick Alec Baldwin in it.  RIP.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
I met Mr Clancy briefly while he was doing his research for "Red Storm Rising," he visited USS Caron and was touring the ship with Captain Polk.  He asked the skipper what class Soviet submarine he'd like the ship to take out in the story.  I don't know if this was the Captain's first choice but in RSR Caron nailed a Tango class diesel-electric.  At the time Tango was one of the quietest boats in Soviet service and thus one of the hardest to track.

Rest in Peace Mr Clancy, you will be missed. 
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

I won't read those books.

I won't either. Absolute rubbish. Hack work.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
He was on top of the world, 15 years ago or so, to be replaced (in my mind, anyway) by Vince Flynn.  Now they're both gone, too early.  :'(

Yeah, I would say that Clancy was gone a decade ago. I gave up on him after he wrote, "The Bear and the Dragon." It was okay but you could tell that it was lacking the effort that he had given previous novels. "The Teeth of the Tiger" sort of confirmed that.

I moved on to Vince Flynn and yeah, now he is gone, too.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
So who should I check out first?  Lee Child or Brad Thor?  One of them now has to pick up the slack.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
Father likes Lee Child, seems ordinary and predictable to me, but maybe I've been spoiled.  Anybody else to choose from?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
I haven't read Brad Thor's latest book.  The one before that I thought was a little too on the nose for me.  He's really been enthusiastic about his last few being so current with the news and what's happening in the world.  The downside in the last one I read was that it came across to me as a lecture in a couple of the chapters. BUT overall I like his work.  Start with the first it's good and go from there.

I've tried a few times to read Lee Child.  I don't know what it is.  I have one on my shelf and I want to try again.

I've wandered through several of Ludlum's.  They're dense and wordy, lacking in the current contemporary style. Sometimes that suits my mood.

I'm afraid Vince Flynn spoiled me.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
Read a lot of Ludlum when I was in the Navy...he was prolific back then, and I guess the time place and style suited my life then, which consisted of long periods of boredom punctuated by frantic moments of chaos, and it was just natural to flow into Clancy's early works.

Vince Flynn I enjoyed a lot, plus being a local guy you kind of felt contemporary with him, but I also enjoy many of the works by Nelson DeMille, Stephen Hunter (the Bob Lee Swagger series), I don't think the latter two have anything new out so I seem to be in a searching mode since the passing of Flynn.
 :'(

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 08:22:40 AM »
Stephen Hunter

THAT'S who I was trying to think of.  Soucherey makes fun of his stories happening in the Ouachiters'.   ::laughonfloor::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
Andrew Grant (Lee Child's younger brother) has 2 books.  I read Die Twice and it's ok.

He is the author of two novels, Even and Die Twice, both featuring David Trevellyan, a royal Naval intelligence officer. His debut novel, Even, received stars from both Library Journal and Publishers Weekly.
link