Author Topic: Pet Peeves - What's yours???  (Read 18289 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Pet Peeves - What's yours???
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »

Bicyclists, arrogant bicyclists would be an oxymoron, who interfere with traffic. Public roads are for street legal motorized traffic.

The worst is when you come across these caravans of literally 50+ of them. Good luck passing 10 car lengths of spandex on a 2-lane highway..
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »

Bicyclists, arrogant bicyclists would be an oxymoron, who interfere with traffic. Public roads are for street legal motorized traffic.

The worst is when you come across these caravans of literally 50+ of them. Good luck passing 10 car lengths of spandex on a 2-lane highway..

I find that a Ford Excursion pulling closely behind them and up against the center line evokes a seemingly spontaneous single-file-on-the-shoulder reaction. For whatever reason, that single-file reaction is sometimes accompanied by a spontaneous middle-finger extension, which has the effect of decreasing the distance between the Excursion and the bicycle column.

Strange stuff.

::angel:: ::angel:: ::angel::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
.... eleven11ty11! ....

I've seen this many times and I've no idea from whence it came.  What's the story?
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a parody of a line in the parody This Is Spinal Tap, where Nigel talks about most guitar amps having a top volume setting of '10', but his amp 'goes to 11'.

[External embedding disabled.]

Spinal Tap - 11

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
.... eleven11ty11! ....

I've seen this many times and I've no idea from whence it came.  What's the story?

I don't know exactly where it started, but I think it came from the use of multiple exclamation points to indicate emphasis!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, in their excitement, the person typing forgets to hold the shift key down all the way!!!!!!!11!!!!

I don't think it has anything to do with Spinal Tap's "our amps go to 11" but it might.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
This is a new pet peeve for me, as I just now realized that it's been bugging me consistently enough to qualify.

Blog posts that begin with, "It Begins:".

Regardless of the blog or author, rarely does the body of the post denote the literal beginning of anything. The attempt is to signify that somehow with that particular blog post, there is a demarcation between events occurring before the blog post and after it, and that from that point forward everything is different and will continue in a trajectory set by the subject of the blog post.

And lest anyone do an exhaustive search, I've probably been guilty of it somewhere along the line, so I'll preemptively admit it even though I don't specifically recall doing it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson