Poll

Candy Corn:  With or Without Chocolate

WITH chocolate
1 (14.3%)
WITHOUT chocolate
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Candy Corn: With or Without Chocolate?  (Read 17215 times)

RickZ

Candy Corn: With or Without Chocolate?
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
 It's a pressing question of serious seasonal import.

Being a candy corn afficianado, this is why I Halloween is so scary to me:  I always end up eating at least one bag.  Every.  damn.  year.

Anyway, definitely chocolate.

Thank gawd Halloween only comes around once a year, though I still have another bloody month to go.  Danger!  Danger!  Will Robinson!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Candy Corn: With or Without Chocolate?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:01 PM »
not a candy corn lover   ::exitstageleft::

you can have mine  ;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
Along with lemondrops, taffy and other confections...my grandfather spoiled me candy corn too, it was his favorite.

Chocalate, on candy corn?  Grandfather would not approve!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Libertas, I never really liked candy corn until the chocolate ones came out.  I also do not like the rather large pumpkin shaped ones.  Just too much per bite.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »
Gosh, I despise that stuff. And there aren't too many candies I don't like.

::bigpuke::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:48 AM »
Yeah, I'll pass on the fat gross pumpkin ones.

But candy corn is what it is.

You want totally disgusting?  Let's talk peeps!!!   ::puke::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »

I'm with ya there. Blech.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
I love seeing candy corn -- it means fall and Halloween and childhood to me just didn't like it. Same for that "ribbon candy" my mom used to buy at Christmas. lol

Peeps?

Got to admit I loved them as a kid.

I don't eat much candy (or desserts of any kind) any more--I way more satisfied with the fresh food I now cook that rarely do I want to spoil that with sugary treats after dinner.

I used to have such a sweet tooth but now I'm more of a savory type.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
My cousin's MD husband told me about 40 years ago that if sugar had been first developed then in time that it would have been banned.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
I prefer the regular old candy corn without chocolate. I also like the little pumpkin ones. Halloween was most fun for me when the costumes were simple and kitschy, i.e. a vinyl "gown" and a plastic mask with a rubber band holding it on your head. My earliest memory of Halloween was wearing a costume like that in the form of R2-D2. It was unusually cold that Halloween and I was sick the next day. I also fell off someone's porch into the bushes. I was about 3 years old.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »
I can stand a few handfuls of traditional candy corn (not that alternative chocolate stuff).

Here are 2 all-time faves:

&

(w/this one, I have the component parts, too: pretzels, peanut butter
& dove medallions: the damage sustained melts off w/ea. morning run)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
Plain candy corn for me.  No pumpkin shapes or chocolate flavors.  Just hand me enough to become diabetic and let me go on my way.   ::thumbsup::

But the best thing ever is Peanut butter brittle.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
I love Butterfingers and Heath bars.  Mmmmmmm!!!   ::thumbsup::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

Ain't to fond of them myself though many in the family like them all the same.

Brachs has an apple candy corn which I like far more than the other two. As with anything, to much at one time just kills the joy.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
I prefer the regular old candy corn without chocolate. I also like the little pumpkin ones. Halloween was most fun for me when the costumes were simple and kitschy, i.e. a vinyl "gown" and a plastic mask with a rubber band holding it on your head. My earliest memory of Halloween was wearing a costume like that in the form of R2-D2. It was unusually cold that Halloween and I was sick the next day. I also fell off someone's porch into the bushes. I was about 3 years old.

I remember being 6 years old and waiting breathlessly for mom to return from the drugstore with my cheap little costume.  How I hoped she got a princess one!

Then people got concerned about the flammability of those costumes and my mom got cheap so we had homemade, lame costumes.  My mom always wanted me to be a gypsy--I could put on her long 70's skirts and a bunch of jewelry. ( I hated it.)  I changed  that with my kids! lol I make their costumes--I sew enough I don't need a pattern every time and it's cheaper and faster than trudging from store to store trying to find one they like.

I'm also the mom that encourages my kids to get as much candy as possible. hehehe  I have one kid who would quit after a while and say "I have enough." Me: "What's wrong with you?  Don't you know how this works?" (I let her quit but she had to stick with the others until they were done.)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:27 AM »
Heh!  Could be siblings!   ::thumbsup::

My mother made all our costumes until we were old enough to do that ourselves, didn't think it was because I thought she was thrifty at the time, she was really good at artsy stuff like that and not only made costumes but whole themes for our birthday parties (pirate birthday, race car birthday, etc).  But that artistic side didn't transmit genetically...my skills as an older trick/treater was limited to conjuring up being a bum or a mummy.

::facepalm::

RickZ

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm honestly surprised at the open hostility those adorable little chocolate candy corn have generated.  I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya.  Chocophobes, the lot of ya!

Never was into marshmallow, even open an open fire; never got into meringue, either.  Now whipped cream . . . .

Have to say I've been into some candy bars of late that I never ate as a kid, Peter Paul Mounds, the dark chocolate one and, surprisingly sans chocolate, Paydays.  Like miniature candy now, though, with the candy corn being a problem due to the size of the package after opening, versus those little snack bars.  Having those mini Tootsie Rolls around takes care of any chocolate fix that might suddenly rear its ugly head.  I also enjoy a nicely chilled mini York Peppermint Patty.  Kids today have it so good because when I was a kid, you only had the small saucer plate sized bar, rather big and overpowering in large doses.  But that mini one is juuuuuuust right.

I guess I should turn this thread into:  Hello, my name is Rick, and I'm a chocoholic.  {Murmers, HI Rick [hand waving] murmers}

So chocolate candy corn is good with me.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
Chocolate used to be my go-to candy as a kid.  Didn't really understand anyone who wanted to eat anything else as candy. I remember in high school I could eat 3 candy bars in one sitting. 

I don't eat much chocolate any more.  I hated dark chocolate as a kid but now that's all it eat if I eat chocolate. One small piece is all I need to feel satisfied.  (Ok, except Nutella.   I rediscovered that this spring and now can't remember why I used to hate it!) I can't eat regular milk chocolate bars any more --they're too sweet.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
I like chocolate, but one thing I can't stand is malted chocolate. I have hated Whoppers and the like since childhood.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
I'm honestly surprised at the open hostility those adorable little chocolate candy corn have generated. 

No hostility, just dislike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kit-Kat for me (although the commercials are annoying) and Three Musketeers.  I get German-made chocolate bars -- Sport -- with hazelnuts.

Definitely prefer chocolate with nuts.

Anybody remember Bonomo turkish taffy bars?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"