Poll

Candy Corn:  With or Without Chocolate

WITH chocolate
1 (14.3%)
WITHOUT chocolate
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Candy Corn: With or Without Chocolate?  (Read 17257 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Candy Corn: With or Without Chocolate?
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »
Y'all are a bad influence.  I haven't had Halloween candy in 5 years.

Got home with the squirt tonight and I'm digging through her bucket looking for all my old favorites.

Guess I'll do the ab bicycle tomorrow.   ;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
Only had about 33 girls and ghouls last night...about average for recent years, not that many going out...I got 1 1/2 mongo sacks of chocolate bars left...guess I get to fatten up people at work!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 07:10:34 AM »
Only had about 33 girls and ghouls last night...about average for recent years, not that many going out...I got 1 1/2 mongo sacks of chocolate bars left...guess I get to fatten up people at work!

Gosh our neighborhood is just teeming with trick-or-treaters every year. The front porch lights make it look almost like day; so many houses do elaborate displays; halloween noises coming from this house or that; dad's pulling a dozen kids on a little flatbed behind an ATV...

Last year we ran out of candy so we had to dig into our personal stash of granola bars and snack-packs of Oreos and Chips Ahoys while my son raced to the store to buy more. This year I stocked up so there was no way we'd run out. We do have leftover, but not as much as I thought we might.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
IDP, that sounds so nice and normal.  I've heard of parents who discourage trick-or-treating.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

I had about a dozen - way down from last year. Mostly just the kids from the immediate neighborhood. Weather was crappy all day but cleared off for the evening so I'm at a loss why so few.

Cute little buggers who did show up though.  :D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »

I had about a dozen - way down from last year. Mostly just the kids from the immediate neighborhood. Weather was crappy all day but cleared off for the evening so I'm at a loss why so few.

Cute little buggers who did show up though.  :D

Yeah, I like the little ones, they're so cute and this thing is so new and amazing to them!  Oldest I had were maybe in the 11-12 range thank God, it is just weird when older teenagers come knocking...I look at them like "for real?!"...but they must be going elsewhere now.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »
You're all forgetting the best part, the after Halloween clearance sale. They're already feverishly making room for Christmas theme stuff in the stores, so all the leftover Halloween candy has to go. And a substantial bit of it went directly to my kitchen. Those mini Reece's peanut butter cups are my major weakness.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 02:48:41 AM »
You're all forgetting the best part, the after Halloween clearance sale. They're already feverishly making room for Christmas theme stuff in the stores, so all the leftover Halloween candy has to go. And a substantial bit of it went directly to my kitchen. Those mini Reece's peanut butter cups are my major weakness.

Chilled right out of the fridge.

It seems everyone has a specific sweet tooth weakness.  Kit-Kats, M&M's with almonds, Paydays, et.al.  I have a serious sweet tooth.  I blame my Mom because she was such a great dessert cook.  She made fudge, with and without walnuts, or butterscotch fudge, with and without nuts, brownies, chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies, divinity, all flavor of cakes and pies (the chocolate and coconut pies being my favorites); she even took a bakery course once to learn how to make frosting roses for her cakes.  She used to make these large divinity 'eggs', covered in chocolate with icing names; one year she made them for the convent, about 14 eggs, with a large divinity mother hen, also covered in chocolate.  I lived in a bakery that was open 24/7; it's also why I wore husky jeans.  Every time I go shopping I try very hard to avoid the candy aisle, now even more so with all the sales.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
We had a group of 2 on Thursday night, and none last night, for a total of 2. But for the previous 2 years we've had none.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
RickZ,

Sounds like my mom did a lot of stuff like your mom.  I haven't had a coconut cream pie with meringue like my moms--ever. No one here likes it so I've never made it.  I have made a pretty good coconut cake like she made. Divinity!!! Loved it. Fudge, of course. Lemon bars.  Love those.  Make them occasionally. Mom even made a good fruitcake.  She was picky about how she made them.  Guess that's why I like them. I was thinking of trying it this year even though I'll be the only one eating it. I suppose I could freeze it. Mom took a cake decorating class once and then all the cakes had flowers and roses on them and pretty scallops on the edges. I have a cake decorating set I drag out occasionally.  Mom didn't make brownies or chocolate chip cookies.  I don't know why.  She would make a bunch of different cookies at Christmas time--dozens and dozens for parties and to freeze. We had dessert every night and leftovers went into our lunch bags.

I had a pretty good sweet tooth until about 10 years ago and then I deliberately cut back. Too many diabetics in the family. Now I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I still love to bake though.

The kids and I started a tradition of sorts a few years ago--there are certain candies and cookies we only make at Christmas--truffles, Russian tea cakes, rum balls, spritz, etc. It makes it all more special and taste really good when we finally make them!

RickZ

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 06:30:46 AM »
RickZ,

Sounds like my mom did a lot of stuff like your mom.  I haven't had a coconut cream pie with meringue like my moms--ever. No one here likes it so I've never made it.

I was never a fan of meringue; I prefer a whipped cream topping.  But the one thing my Mom could do with her meringue that I never saw anybody else do was, when cooked, having little gold oil balls (like those tiny sprinkles) appear.  Supposedly, this is the high art of meringue making and not easy to do.  Except for her, she had those little gold balls on her meringue every time.

Mom even made a good fruitcake.  She was picky about how she made them.  Guess that's why I like them. I was thinking of trying it this year even though I'll be the only one eating it. I suppose I could freeze it.

My Mom made a holiday pecan cake.  Good, but I'm just not a fan of these types of 'cakes' because, without icing, it ain't cake.

Mom took a cake decorating class once and then all the cakes had flowers and roses on them and pretty scallops on the edges. I have a cake decorating set I drag out occasionally.

My Mom could do the scalloped icing, writing names and such, just couldn't make roses.  When I've needed decorative icing on a cake, or even whipped cream/sour cream or even mashed potatoes, since I don't have a pastry bag, I use a zip lock bag with a corner cut out.  I put the pastry tip in the corner and Voila! you have a pastry bag.  No need to wash as it's disposable.

For someone who was never trained, Mom could be pretty creative with her cakes.  I remember one particular cake she made, a two-layer chocolate cake with white icing, topped with green coconut.  She'd stick jelly beans, small chocolate bunnies and the like all around the edge.  On top, she'd put some peeps and other Easter animal candies, along with sprinkling around jelly beans and the like.  She then made a handle of aluminum foil so that the cake looked like an Easter basket.

Mom didn't make brownies or chocolate chip cookies.  I don't know why.  She would make a bunch of different cookies at Christmas time--dozens and dozens for parties and to freeze. We had dessert every night and leftovers went into our lunch bags.

Fudge is not as easy to make as it looks.  If not done right, it can come out grainy, tasty, but grainy.  She had the knack and feel for desserts; I just wouldn't let her cook a pork chop -- shoe leather was softer.  Her candy thermometer was something I remember her using often, getting things to soft/hard ball temp.  And being the inquisitive brat that I was, I was always wondering about what a 'soft ball' or 'hard ball' was since it was food and not a sandlot game.  She'd take the time to explain, though, pain that I was.   

It was hell living in a bakery open 24/7. Hell, I tell ya.

The one time she decided to experiment on a dessert she had never made, it was a spectacular failure, a rare failure, but a failure.  She tried to make flan.  It was terrible.  The family teased her about how she discovered the recipe for concrete patch.  She vowed never to make that again, after getting all that good-natured ribbing.  But that was her only failure, except when it was too humid to make divinity and she'd try anyway, hoping for the best.  Now that wasn't a fault of anyone or thing other than the weather.  And she knew there might be a problem going in.  Once, the divinity ran like it was a pudding.  Still tasted good, just did not come out like she wanted.  For Mom, the weather report was an important part of many of her dessert recipes.

I had a pretty good sweet tooth until about 10 years ago and then I deliberately cut back. Too many diabetics in the family. Now I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I still love to bake though.

About the only dessert I'll make now is the occasional package of brownie mix, doctored of course.  I'll buy a good brand of plain chocolate brownie mix and add chopped walnuts and extra Dutch-processed cocoa powder.  I'll also make chocolate pudding, topped with whipped cream, of course.

The kids and I started a tradition of sorts a few years ago--there are certain candies and cookies we only make at Christmas--truffles, Russian tea cakes, rum balls, spritz, etc. It makes it all more special and taste really good when we finally make them!

Family food traditions are always good.  It makes for memories that far outlast the person, as in my Mom's case.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
I just wouldn't let her cook a pork chop -- shoe leather was softer.

I laughed at that!  I was an adult before I understood that meats, chicken, etc weren't supposed to be dried out.  Mom will say she likes hers like shoe leather.  We tease her and say she wants to makes sure it's good and dead.