Author Topic: Obama: Transforming America, VDH  (Read 1018 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Obama: Transforming America, VDH
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
The whole thing is a must-read in my opinion, so I'll just re-post a particularly lucid snip....

Obama: Transforming America
Victor Davis Hanson

...we have the worst of both worlds: high taxes on job creators, along with continuing huge deficits. That paradox raises the question of whether Obama sees deficits not just as necessary to prime the economy, or as a tolerable consequence of huge increases in federal spending, but also as a mechanism to serially raise taxes on the upper brackets, as a desirable redistributive end in and of itself. Taxes are seen now not just as a way to fund expenditures, but as a punitive tool — hence the new phraseology of 1 percent, fat cats, corporate-jet owners, you did not build that, no time to profit, at some point you’ve made enough money, etc. A more equal but poorer America appears to be preferable to a more affluent but less equal nation...

If that whet's your appetite, go read the whole thing. It's nothing we haven't discussed ad nauseam, but it is pulled together and tied with a bow in VDH style.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Obama: Transforming America, VDH
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
The whole thing is a must-read in my opinion, so I'll just re-post a particularly lucid snip....

Obama: Transforming America
Victor Davis Hanson

...we have the worst of both worlds: high taxes on job creators, along with continuing huge deficits. That paradox raises the question of whether Obama sees deficits not just as necessary to prime the economy, or as a tolerable consequence of huge increases in federal spending, but also as a mechanism to serially raise taxes on the upper brackets, as a desirable redistributive end in and of itself. Taxes are seen now not just as a way to fund expenditures, but as a punitive tool — hence the new phraseology of 1 percent, fat cats, corporate-jet owners, you did not build that, no time to profit, at some point you’ve made enough money, etc. A more equal but poorer America appears to be preferable to a more affluent but less equal nation...

If that whet's your appetite, go read the whole thing. It's nothing we haven't discussed ad nauseam, but it is pulled together and tied with a bow in VDH style.

As a senator Obama even admitted it wasn't about revenue, but about "fairness"   That taxes shoudl be used to make sure no one has more than anyone else- Kill Ivan's goat style.

What boggles my mind is that the Lefties wanted to "transform America" without obtaining the Amendments required to change our contract with each other.  And then when they have done so , they have the gall to say "you have to follow our rules", that you are "unpatriotic" or putting politics over country if you fight the illegitimate changes. - No. Lefties broke the rules into doing what they did.   They put their politics over the agreement we had in the Constitution and broke the contract.  After  "transformation" this isn't my country. I hate it with the same passion the Jihadi's hate it. Let it burn.  Don't talk "Patriotism" to me. Your "transformation" means its not my country, and I wish nothing but suffering, pain and death to those who broke our agreement.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
Agreed Weisshaupt.  I'm about done talking.  I'm just waiting for the real end game and the metting out of justice upon the culpable.  Their patriotism is tyranny, and they know where they can shove that noise.  By their batsh*t-looney thinking the people who went along with Hitler or Stalin were true patriots!  More Jews to the oven, patriot!  More dissidents to the gulag, patriot!  You love your country, dontachya boy?!  Grab that undesirable then and do your patriotic duty!  It's coming soon, don't doubt it!

OMDB!!!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
...we have the worst of both worlds: high taxes on job creators, along with continuing huge deficits.

"The way to crush the bourgeoisie (middle class) is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation." ~ Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov

I'd say we're well down the road to progressive Perdition.

The lessons of History now surround us in abundance, but so many choose not to see.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
Inflation will get a boost from the shutdown...the Fedcoat presses at Treasury will hum along nicely during this period of seeming nothingness...

More kicking of the peasant groin...

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I am a great fan of VDH, I have many of his books on Greece, warfare and history.

I believe it is his great, long-distance vision of the world that allows him to see the petty quarrels such as what is going on in dc right now in a perspective that compares is with much bigger problems for mankind and the way of western culture.

Obama is a bump in the road compared to Darius the Great, but he is our Darius and he needs to be dealt with. We need some ideologically driven Spartans who will take a stand and say NO! you are not going any farther than this., we will not allow you to bring your monarchical despotism into our democratic culture.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »
  It's coming sooner than later.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
I am a great fan of VDH, I have many of his books on Greece, warfare and history.

I believe it is his great, long-distance vision of the world that allows him to see the petty quarrels such as what is going on in dc right now in a perspective that compares is with much bigger problems for mankind and the way of western culture.

Obama is a bump in the road compared to Darius the Great, but he is our Darius and he needs to be dealt with. We need some ideologically driven Spartans who will take a stand and say NO! you are not going any farther than this., we will not allow you to bring your monarchical despotism into our democratic culture.

Two of my kids (so far) took classes from him at Hillsdale--so we're big fans to say the least.  He wrote "excellent" at the top of one my daughter's A papers.  We saved that one! I'd hoped to see him this fall while he's there teaching but it's looking like I won't get to.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »

We have them. But these days, the GOP is in full-time business playing wackamole every time one gains a toehold with the public.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
WE are Sparta!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Magnum

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »

We have them. But these days, the GOP is in full-time business playing wackamole every time one gains a toehold with the public.

Yup! Such as what Peter King is saying: Cruz Conservatives Want to Hijack GOP

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/02/King-says-Cruz-conservatives-want-to-hijack-GOP
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
Cruz Conservatives Want to Hijack GOP

Yesssss.  Yes.  We DO.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
Peter King and his fellow travelers seem to be under the mistaken impression that we need them more than they need us.  Without the conservative base the GOP has, and is, nothing. So yes, you decrepit, fossilized mandarin of the worst order: we are indeed trying to hijack the GOP -- or some would say reclaim it. As that effort is continually stymied at every turn by the likes of said decrepit, fossilized mandarin, we are increasingly content to see this party sent to the bottom with the Titanic and other such relics. Our will be done, some way or another. You cannot suppress the will of such a sizable population. It can only be frustrated and confounded, for a time, but it's going to exert itself just as surely as the wind and rain will carve through solid rock.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
Yes we can!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie