Author Topic: Fresh tomato recipe  (Read 3149 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Fresh tomato recipe
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
The garden is doing well, we had a surfeit of ripe tomatoes, and I found this recipe to use them before they turned bad, and a darned good reason to trim up the basil too.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pasta-with-basil-tomatoes-feta-10000001010608/

I made it with 10 oz. of penne, because we are only two, and it was plenty with some left over to use as a side with something else.

You'll want to keep as much of the juice from the tomatoes as you can save when you chop 'em up because it is that, with the olive oil, that will coat the pasta.

I found the feta cheese a nice change from mozzarella and it doesn't toughen from the acid in the tomatoes.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Fresh tomato recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
Hah! I've harvested exactly one (1!) tomato so far.  ::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »
Hah! I've harvested exactly one (1!) tomato so far.  ::gaah::

Oh!  Slacker plants!  What's the problemo?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
The plants are only now starting to bear fruit. It was a very slow start - cold and rainy for months.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
Are they in the greenhouse or out in the open?  Give 'em some calcium, less nitrogen; they do better in the cool than the hot once they start bearing fruit.  If they grow green and don't ripen on the vine, you can still pick 'em and stick 'em on a counter or windowsill and they'll ripen on their own.

On the other hand, I've heard fried green t'maters are good stuff.   :supercool:

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
The plants are only now starting to bear fruit. It was a very slow start - cold and rainy for months.

You might have bough a late season variety not to worry.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
The garden is doing well, we had a surfeit of ripe tomatoes, and I found this recipe to use them before they turned bad, and a darned good reason to trim up the basil too.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pasta-with-basil-tomatoes-feta-10000001010608/

I made it with 10 oz. of penne, because we are only two, and it was plenty with some left over to use as a side with something else.

You'll want to keep as much of the juice from the tomatoes as you can save when you chop 'em up because it is that, with the olive oil, that will coat the pasta.

I found the feta cheese a nice change from mozzarella and it doesn't toughen from the acid in the tomatoes.

That looks like a winner.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
It was very good.  Even reheated, the tomatoes still tasted fresh.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

You might have bough a late season variety not to worry.

Brother, if I start to worrying about 'maters you'll be the first to know  :D

I had a vegetarian omelet for dinner with onions and peppers and zucchini - and a slice of that tomato - fresh from the garden. And fresh peas off the vine while I was picking out dinner.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
An update:  I added Kalamata olives (pitted) to this year's batches and they made it even better.

RickZ

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
Sauce with kalamata olives, cremini mushrooms and sweet or hot sausage crumbled or sliced is my favorite.  But you don't like Italian sausages, so maybe you could substitute pancetta or slab bacon.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »
I like bacon, a lot, but who could possibly not like Italian sausage?!   ::speechless::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »
I like bacon, a lot, but who could possibly not like Italian sausage?!   ::speechless::

Communists. ::unknowncomic::
 Filippo Mazzie