Author Topic: Educators: When did teachers become educators?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Educators: When did teachers become educators?
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »
I love that this forum has labeled this section "educators".     I personally hate the term educator.   Can't stand it when I hear someone call themselves that,  and I hope someday it goes away.    It shows how the teaching and education profession would like to be seen more professionally,   but of course it's largely failed.   I think it also gives cover to those "administrative" people who never set foot in a classroom,  or even see children.    You know the ones I am talking about,  the ones in offices doing largely useless (but well paid) "work".   

I am not in the teaching profession,  would never want to put up with the nonsense that goes on,  even in private schools.   My mom,  however was a full teacher, an aide,  and a librarian in her career.   The stories she tells about the ridiculous things that went on in her inner city school.   It makes your hair stand up....   

My neighbor,  who is a nice enough guy,  is a retired educator.   He is liberal as you can get,  he writes the local paper constantly,  and of course they print his nonsense on a regular basis (mostly global warming alarm-ism).    He of course uses the term "educator" more then teacher.   He also believes some kids are ineducable (largely inner city kids of course,  though he never taught in a inner city school). 

Funny how my conservative mom taught in a tough district when my liberal neighbor never set foot outside our suburban school.   Telling isn't it?

So when did teachers begin to be known as educators?    And do people round here dislike the term (I am new) as much as I do?   

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Educators: When did teachers become educators?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
...He also believes some kids are ineducable (largely inner city kids of course,  though he never taught in a inner city school)...

Well then, according to the standards of his very own ideology, he's as racist as if he wore the hood. Your neighbor is a hypocrite.

...So when did teachers begin to be known as educators?  And do people round here dislike the term (I am new) as much as I do?

Yup. The word for the category was specifically chosen and placed in quotes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
It is a ridiculous term and its rise coincides with schools completing the progressive conversion from liberal centers of learning to indoctrination centers and quasi-daycare camps.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
When anyone tells me that he or she is an "educator," I immediately lose all respect for that person. Anyone who's a "teacher," though, still gains some respect from me.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
I think it became the norm when Teacher's Colleges were dumbed down in the name of diversity.  My Teachers knew what they taught.  Modern Educators often can't even pass a Jr. High level basic skills test.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:34 AM »
It is not the "norm" in this house.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
"educator"  meh!

Reminds me of this exchange -

A Standup Philosopher
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
ah,  Mel Brooks..............great scene!!

Imagine trying to make Blazing Saddles today.   I don't think even him could get away with that one now a days.....