Author Topic: Kevin Baker's Quote of The Day  (Read 2204 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Kevin Baker's Quote of The Day
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
The Scum Also Rises Edition

Every combination of two or more human beings has both a useful aspect and a political aspect. These tend to conflict with each other. As the political aspect becomes more and more influential, the organization ceases to be useful to its members and starts using them.

Why does this happen? Because the better an organization is at fulfilling its purpose, the more it attracts people who see the organization as an opportunity to advance themselves.

The ability to get ahead in an organization is simply another talent, like the ability to play chess, paint pictures, do coronary bypass operations or pick pockets. There are some people who are extraordinarily good at manipulating organizations to serve their own ends. The Russians, who have suffered under such people for centuries, have a name for them -- apparatchiks. It was an observer of apparatchiks who coined the maxim, "The scum rises to the top."

Empire of the Rising Scum, Robert Shea

Found in a link in a comment to a post at Roberta's that's quite good in its own right. That's just a taste. Read the whole thing.

Brings the union-scum in Wisonsin readily to mind.  And legislators and bureaucrats everywhere.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: Kevin Baker's Quote of The Day
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
That about says it all, thanks Pan. ;D
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Yeah, all of Obama's cabinet, all his czars and advisers...

Apparatchiks!

And they are following the Cloward-Piven blueprint...that end is inescapable...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:25 AM »
"Why does this happen? Because the better an organization is at fulfilling its purpose, the more it attracts people who see the organization as an opportunity to advance themselves."

Anybody catch that Code Pink whale on Hannity who said she would welcome any GITMO detainee in her home? Pretty much illustrates the above point.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
"Why does this happen? Because the better an organization is at fulfilling its purpose, the more it attracts people who see the organization as an opportunity to advance themselves."

Anybody catch that Code Pink whale on Hannity who said she would welcome any GITMO detainee in her home? Pretty much illustrates the above point.

So, she want's to be "Logan'd"?

::)   :P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
...Anybody catch that Code Pink whale on Hannity who said she would welcome any GITMO detainee in her home? Pretty much illustrates the above point.

God, I wish there was a way to force Leftists to actually live what comes out of their mouths without the world imploding for the rest of us.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson