Author Topic: Small Town-BIG Impact: Supreme Court case could Define Religion’s Role in Publc  (Read 1073 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop

By Matthew Lounsberry | The Washington Times | Thursday, October 3, 2013

A small town in upstate New York is at the center of what legal scholars say could be one of the biggest religious freedom cases in decades, as the Supreme Court prepares to open its 2013-14 term next week.

The case, the Town of Greece (N.Y.) v. Galloway, involves the town council’s practice of beginning its meetings with a prayer offered by a volunteer “chaplain of the month” — Christian and non-Christian — and has attracted friend-of-the-court briefs from religious, secular and civil liberties organizations. The surprising decision to take the case and how it rules could offer new insights on how far the court headed by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. is prepared to go to redefine the role of religion in the public square.
A decision in favor of those challenging the city could affect religious observances at public events and gatherings across the United States. Prayer before school board meetings, high school athletic events, local charity events and many more could be threatened.
“If the court were to rule for Galloway, it would have to abandon prior precedent, it would have to abandon hundreds of years of practice going back to the founders of our country, and put in jeopardy the many practices and events that reflect our religious heritage throughout the country,” said David Cortman, attorney for Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian advocacy organization supporting the town of Greece.

Town of Greece v. Galloway is just one of a number of hot-button cases on the docket. The justices also are set to tackle major cases on federal campaign contribution limits, affirmative action, the president’s recess appointment powers and police search procedures.
The court will look into social issues including abortion, housing discrimination and affirmative action, and a year after upholding the core of Obamacare, the court is likely to challenge the law’s requirement that companies with 50 or more employees provide insurance for employees’ use of contraceptives. Companies headed by religious conservatives are claiming a corporate right to freedom of religion that they say the law’s mandate would violate.

Legal scholars say it is not clear what attracted at least four justices to agree to take on the New York case and how far the court may go.

“As has often been the case under Chief Justice Roberts’ leadership, one of the many interesting and important questions the Galloway case prompts is whether the court will make headlines and turn heads by announcing a big change in its doctrines or will instead disappoint journalists who want news buzz and law professors who need new topics by resolving the matter on narrow grounds,” Notre Dame law professor Richard W. Garnett said in a symposium on the case on the legal website Scotusblog.com.
Mr. Cortman said a ruling in favor of Galloway could have major implications, potentially bringing an end to prayers at presidential inaugurations, the “In God We Trust” motto on the nation’s currency and even the cry “God save the United States and this Honorable Court” at the openings of the Supreme Court’s public sessions.

“The new test would be, ‘If I see or hear something that may offend me, and it happens to be religious, that creates some sort of a constitutional violation. We would have challenges to all of these [traditions],” he said. “That would create not only more disarray, but not reflect the true meaning of the Constitution.”

Both sides say the case involving Greece, a modest-sized city on the banks of Lake Ontario, gives the justices wide latitude to revisit legal questions of the prerogatives of church and state. In 1999, the town of Greece began to include ceremonial prayers before all city council meetings, with almost exclusively Christian clergy delivering the prayers. The tradition continued without protest until early 2008.

Local residents Susan Galloway, who is Jewish, and Linda Stephens, an atheist, protested that only Christians were delivering prayers at city council meetings. With the help of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, Ms. Galloway and Ms. Stephens filed a lawsuit in 2008, claiming the prayers violated the Establishment Clause of the Constitution and promoted Christianity to town residents.

“A vast majority of the time, the Christian clergy have delivered explicitly Christian prayer,” said Ayesha Khan, legal director of Americans United. “Meanwhile, the people in the audience are there to petition their government, receive honors or take the oath of office and they are asked to stand or bow their heads for these kinds of prayers that their conscience doesn’t permit them to participate in.”

In their brief to the Supreme Court, the respondents urge the court to reject the precedent set in the 1983 case Marsh v. Chambers, in which the court ruled that most legislative prayer practices did not violate the Constitution.

The respondents also argued that the town of Greece is not neutral in its selection of prayer leaders and heavily Christian clergy, and does not giving “nontheists” the opportunity to speak. City council members  argued that they did not intentionally exclude members of other religions from participating in the prayer sessions, and that audience members were not forced to participate in the ceremonial prayers.

“The folks who have volunteered to pray before the meetings are merely reflective of the demographics of the town,” Mr. Cortman said. “Just because a town may happen to be more Christian than a different religion doesn’t automatically create a constitutional crisis.”
A district court sided with the city  council, ruling that there was not enough proof that Greece officials were intentionally excluding non-Christians. In 2012, the ruling was appealed by Americans United, who again argued that the prayers were unconstitutionally sectarian in nature and established Christian beliefs and religion in the town.

“We are not asking the court to eliminate the prayers here. We are asking that people not be pressured to participate in that prayer, and that the prayer be inclusive and nonsectarian so that it avoids reference to details on which people are known to differ,” Ms. Khan said.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously in favor of Ms. Galloway and Ms. Stephens, stating that the town’s prayer practice was an endorsement to their religious viewpoint.

The town and the Alliance Defending Freedom took the case to the Supreme Court. “Americans today should be free , as the founders were, to pray,” Mr. Cortman said. “The Supreme Court has ruled that public prayer is part of the history and tradition of this country. The large number of significant parties that have filed briefs in this case certainly support the continuation of this cherished practice.”

Oral arguments for Town of Greece v. Galloway are scheduled for Nov. 6.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
This floats my boat/turns me on/ramps me up & fuels my cells...even the title jazzes me. #TearDownThisWall!

Courage to be the Bullseye
Posted onOctober 4th, 2013 Religious Freedom | By: Brett Harvey

Wars turn on single battles in key places that shift momentum, alter public perception, or redefine the nature of the entire conflict. Civil Pennsylvania. The infamy of the attack on Pearl Harbor was a stark reminder to the American people that remaining idle in the face of advancing tyranny does not protect people from danger. The battle on a wooden bridge in Concord, Massachusetts moved a struggle for the rights of British subjects into the American War of Independence.

The same is true for social conflicts. Harriet Beecher Stowe, a preacher’s daughter, was targeted by defenders of the South’s economic engine, but her book, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, solidified the anti-slavery movement and inspired Abraham Lincoln, who later penned the Emancipation Proclamation. Susan B. Anthony defied the law and cast a single vote in the presidential election of 1872.  When found guilty, she refused to pay the $100 fine and led the movement to give women the right to vote. Facing what critics called the inevitable rise of communism, Ronald Reagan stood in the center of Berlin, Germany — in the shadow of the “iron curtain” that shielded the communist bloc — and demanded “tear down this wall!”

History looks back on these momentous events with pride.  But taking a stand in the midst of constant criticism and attack, when the outcome is anything but certain, takes courage and commitment. A small town in upstate New York is taking just such a stand. Greece, N.Y. is in the bullseye of a nationwide attack challenging the right of people to offer prayers to open public meetings.
On November 6, 2013, Alliance Defending Freedom and the firm of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher will defend this small town before the United States Supreme Court in Town of Greece v. Galloway. Opposing the town stands Americans United for the Separation of Church and State (AU), the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and the Freedom From Religion Foundation, among others.
The Supreme Court decision will be a watershed moment in a nationwide battle to define the liberty guaranteed by the First Amendment. At stake is the right of volunteer citizens to decide for themselves how they pray, and the right of a town to accommodate the beliefs of its citizens. The forces arrayed against the town are demanding that the town either stop opening prayers or censor the way people pray.

Opening public meetings with a prayer is a historic and cherished tradition that predates the founding of this nation. From the landing of the Mayflower, through the deliberations of the Continental Congress, and still continued in every state at every level of government, including the U.S. Congress, Americans seek Divine guidance and blessing on their deliberations. In 1983, the Supreme Court recognized this history and noted that Congress hired paid chaplains to open its meeting with prayer while they were writing the very words of the First Amendment. Finding such prayers unconstitutional would absurdly suggest that the framers of the Constitution were violating the document as they wrote it!

Despite the historical pedigree, AU and its allies want to redefine religious liberty to give them the right to silence or censor prayers simply because they don’t want to hear the way others choose to pray. Since 2004, more than 20 lawsuits have been filed, and hundreds of towns and counties across the country have been threatened in an effort to silence or censor prayers. Many towns and counties have given up under the threats of costly litigation. Now, all of the legal firepower is aimed at the Town of Greece. The stakes are high as the outcome of this case will help shape the definition of religious liberty in America. Alliance Defending Freedom is proud to stand with the courageous people of the Town of Greece.

If you support public prayer and think this valuable tradition should continue, sign the Statement of Support for prayer:
https://www.alliancedefendingfreedom.org/page/free-to-pray/

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Small Town-BIG Impact
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:08 PM »
You know what?  I'm sick of people being offended because they have different beliefs.  You don't want to pray then don't.

I've taught my kids they will encounter people who believe and behave differently than us. If they recite prayers you don't say then don't.  If you want to pray in public and they don't, do. If you want to brown bag your lunch, then do.  If you want to buy an expensive car then do it.  My kids understand that it's the other person's problem if that person's uncomfortable--you're not to compromise your beliefs.

We should all counter this by reciting a prayer before we speak before a city council, etc just as those students have before giving their graduation speeches.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
You know what?  I'm sick of people being offended because they have different beliefs.  You don't want to pray then don't.

I've taught my kids they will encounter people who believe and behave differently than us. If they recite prayers you don't say then don't.  If you want to pray in public and they don't, do. If you want to brown bag your lunch, then do.  If you want to buy an expensive car then do it.  My kids understand that it's the other person's problem if that person's uncomfortable--you're not to compromise your beliefs.

We should all counter this by reciting a prayer before we speak before a city council, etc just as those students have before giving their graduation speeches.

I agree. And I praise God for organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom who can send lawyers in who are constitutionally aware of the language parsing that drags these cases into court and forces good, law-abiding, God-fearing people to spend money that, if not for ADL, would either break them OR prohibit the fight to even get off the ground.

I KNOW that we grow in the valleys . . . but I fight back the urge to wield a baseball bat against some of these dumb-asses feigning any "real" offense. After all it's not freedom "from" religion.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

I agree. And I praise God for organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom who can send lawyers in who are constitutionally aware of the language parsing that drags these cases into court and forces good, law-abiding, God-fearing people to spend money that, if not for ADL, would either break them OR prohibit the fight to even get off the ground.

I KNOW that we grow in the valleys . . . but I fight back the urge to wield a baseball bat against some of these dumb-asses feigning any "real" offense. After all it's not freedom "from" religion.

Their entire argument is moot when considering the First Amendment which was written to forbid the the Federal Govt from ever instituting a national or state religion but of course I don't ever see the day when all the SCOTUS would agree with such a simple undeniable concept written 220 years ago. The Devil works to twist at words everything to confuse those that cannot see and so we have a population easily manipulated into doing his work.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I am not going to hold my breath...the courts have shredded parts of or entire tracts of the Constitution, they are so far outside the lines its not funny...if the Founders were alive today they's be appalled at was has happened to this nation and its people...they either would have codified more things explicitly and hoped that kept statists at bay or they would have said screw it these people are too stupid to live free and stayed British.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
We live in a world of no absolutes except evolution and abortion.

If I say a color is red and little Tommy thinks/feels it's blue I can't hurt his feelings and say it's red.  I have to accept that Tommy sees it as blue.  So forget telling someone that affronts to moral, traditional behavior contributes to the culture's design.

The first amendment may have meant that 220 years ago but it doesn't any more because feelings have changed.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
  I have my doubts about Roberts,nuff said.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline richb

• Established Member
  I have my doubts about Roberts,nuff said.

That's for sure.   He is only going to get flakier as time goes on.    We didn't need another Justice Kennedy and that seems to be what we got with Roberts.   God help us if Barry gets to replace a third justice.