Author Topic: The Next Day  (Read 633 times)

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
The Next Day
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Re-listening to Bowie's 'The Next Day', on ear buds as I surf-type-comment, released earlier this year  - which, for fans of the former thin white duke, was & still is a satisfying listen (and an amazing testimony to his vocal chords @ 66 years old). Usually, I'm a Brian Eno/Ambient/Drone/Robert Fripp (just ordered a remastered double CD copy of 'Red') ... but Bowie writes some smart lyrics & backs it with some tight arrangements...so he's my rock "go-to" guy.

Anyone else buy #TheNextDay?

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The Next Day
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:32:10 AM »
Nope, I've not heard it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Sample (plays online) 'How Does the Grass Grow?'
http://www.divshare.com/download/24603431-7be
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:12:35 AM »
Hmmmm.... not really my cup-o'-tea I guess. But then my appreciation for Bowie has always fallen within a pretty narrow window of his work.

Looks like this new record is very well reveiwed though, so it must be me that's out of the loop.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
Hmmmm.... not really my cup-o'-tea I guess. But then my appreciation for Bowie has always fallen within a pretty narrow window of his work.

Looks like this new record is very well reveiwed though, so it must be me that's out of the loop.

Yeah but your background is metal (Dio), no? And Bowie's never been able to deliver that sound (did a pretty good job w/Jungle-Techno on Earthling).

Rock's definitely an example of "to each his own" - and I'd be the first to admit that DB has churned out almost as much crap as stuff I like -- but it's his edge-pushing ability that I like most about his abilities...& he's definitely hit & left a mark that very few others will come close to attaining.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
I really like a wide variety of musical styles. It doesn't have to be metal for me to like it. Doesn't even have to be rock. I just go by what is pleasing to the ear.

Re; Bowie, I'm just partial to his early/mid 70's stuff. He grabbed my ear again in the mid 80's. Otherwise, I've just never really been a huge fan.

I didn't like the sound of the song you linked, so I went to iTunes and listened to others off the new album. Just doesn't resonate.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
Eno + Bowie =  ::thumbsup::

I don't have the new one yet, but my favorites are the early folkish albums and the late 70's Eno ones.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
I really only know Bowie's more popular stuff. There's something haunting in Space Oddity when he sings "I'm stepping through the dooooor". A sort of existential futility. Or something.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
This is a good one...from the "Heroes" sessions. The vocal range is stunning.

David Bowie - The Drowned Girl