Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131852 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Just commodities
« Reply #500 on: July 06, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

Hey, hey, hey, today is not a bad day if anyone is interested.
I'm shootin' fer Tuesday.

Ag
Real-time:    14:14:10 ET         Change:    -0.93(-4.72%)    
Bid:    18.79    High:   19.51
Ask:    18.89    Low:    18.63

http://www.zerohedge.com/node/476089
Margin Calls Coming On US Too-Big-To-Fail Banks
&
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-05/low-place-gold

I'm still thinking Tuesday.

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
Yup...another monkeyhammer opportunity...problem is finding physical inventory, but I might try this week...but I am hearing some long delivery times...and I want physical not paper...the real deal makes a better boating accident...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
 I'm taking advantage of all the free money pumped into the market. I've made a few bucks this last few months. I bank with Regions and bought their stock when it was 4 bucks. Around 10 today. Did the same with Bank of America. When the rich dude ( his name escapes me) bought a bunch, I figured it isn't going down. Reminds me I need to go set my stop loss.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
I'm taking advantage of all the free money pumped into the market. I've made a few bucks this last few months. I bank with Regions and bought their stock when it was 4 bucks. Around 10 today. Did the same with Bank of America. When the rich dude ( his name escapes me) bought a bunch, I figured it isn't going down. Reminds me I need to go set my stop loss.

Yes, in these (cough!) "markets", protecting ones backside is mandatory!   ::thumbsup::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #504 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:40 AM »
The comments are probably as enlightening than the article...I think the central banks have been leasing their gold out for decades to the bullion banks and now find themselves in the rather precarious position of needing to reclaim that which they are supposed to own before the shortfall is exposed.

The degree to which the underlying structure of the physical gold market has changed over the last few months has yet to make itself apparent; but the first time we get an "event" that makes it necessary for people who don't have gold to buy some, and for people who do own it to have more, we will see how things have changed.

The gold price has been falling heavily for several months, but when the need to own gold jumps again - and it will; this is a long way from over - all the pieces of this jigsaw puzzle of the weird and wonderful forest of gold manipulation that we have dropped onto the table will slot neatly into place.

What if, when that happens, there just isn't enough gold to go around?

Checkmate!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #505 on: July 22, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
Demand finally starting to assert itself?

http://www.pmbull.com/gold-price/

Liftoff?

ETA - Pulling back a bit now...Ben's mokeyfisters at work no doubt!

Another ETA - Demand in India expected to rise in anticipation of festival season, the recent slide/beat-down might be over.

Yet another ETA - ZH usually posts this fella alot, don't recall this one being posted, has some interesting things to say:  http://beforeitsnews.com/financial-markets/2013/07/golds-lower-price-is-a-ruse-eric-sprott-2574496.html

Bottom line - buy, it may not get monkeyhammered down lower again....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:35:12 PM by Libertas »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #506 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
I like articles like this that start out with historical stuff...

http://www.zerohedge.com/node/476960

...so, the Coinage Act of 1792 got me to thinking...and it got me to figuring...

...if I converted grams/ounce and grains to grams right and such then according to my math it is highly likely that gold has been manipulated from then to now to the tune of...well...a lot!

The Founders thought a ration of gold to silver of 15:1 was proper.  Just using their face values the ratio established was actually 10:1.  Where did the other 5:1 go you might ask...well, I'm guessing they anticipated a growth in value and therefor a strengthening of the dollar for the new Republic.  Perhaps rosy assumptions in government numbers goes back further than we think, eh?  Anyway...updating the Founders coinage weights to current value a $10 Eagle with 16 grams of 99.9% pure gold should have a current value of about $683.99.  One (silver) Dollar (99.9% pure, 24.1 grams) should be worth about $15.41.  Value per denomination (dollars) should be $68.40 to $15.41...current value wise a ratio of just 4.44:1.  Since this exercise holds silver price to be "true", all things being equal (and most likely) gold has been manipulated in value far below what it should be at...pump it up to the Founders effective ratio of 10:1 and gold should be closer to $2997/ounce...use the statutory 15:1 ratio and it should be closer $4495/ounce. 

I look at todays ratio in per ounce prices and gold is trading at about 66-67 times silver.  Historically since the 70's is about 60.  Some think gold realistically should be closer to about $2500/ounce...using the 60:1 ratio then silver should be about $41.67/ounce.

While all this calculatin' is fun...bottom line: the PTB's have gamed the values of all precious metals...when the fiat kabuki ends people will want something tangible in their hands...not wads of notes that have suddenly become no more useful than pretty buttwipe or handy fire-starter!

;)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
Hilarious. 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-14/why-gold-spiking

Follow that?

Yeah, that's the point.  Germany is still waiting on delivery from 33 Liberty Plaza...get in line suckers!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »

I look at todays ratio in per ounce prices and gold is trading at about 66-67 times silver.  Historically since the 70's is about 60.  Some think gold realistically should be closer to about $2500/ounce...using the 60:1 ratio then silver should be about $41.67/ounce.

While this may be redundant, I feel compelled to reiterate:

This is NOT a "money making" opportunity.  Just as the historical ratio between gold and silver is there because of their long term value, they will retain largely  the same value in the new world - I would expect to buy the same amount of oil for them for instance that historical ratio predicts. - unless they actually start to be used as Money ( people routinely take gold and silver in exchange because they believe others will accept it just as freely in the future)  Otherwise, expect you Gold and silver to buy what they would have bought in a "healthy economy"- back when prices were much lower ( both the price of the bullion and the price of everything else)  If they are used as money demand for them will go up and that will create more "value"  for the metals, not because the shiny rocks are more valuable, but because they now have money value.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #509 on: August 15, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »

While this may be redundant, I feel compelled to reiterate:

This is NOT a "money making" opportunity.  Just as the historical ratio between gold and silver is there because of their long term value, they will retain largely  the same value in the new world - I would expect to buy the same amount of oil for them for instance that historical ratio predicts. - unless they actually start to be used as Money ( people routinely take gold and silver in exchange because they believe others will accept it just as freely in the future)  Otherwise, expect you Gold and silver to buy what they would have bought in a "healthy economy"- back when prices were much lower ( both the price of the bullion and the price of everything else)  If they are used as money demand for them will go up and that will create more "value"  for the metals, not because the shiny rocks are more valuable, but because they now have money value.

Agreed.  Not in PMs for the money making, in PMs for the real value it will always command.  The numbers exercise was merely a half-hearted effort to see where the PTBs are manipulating to fiat peg.  PMs value will be determined by the value of the other goods it will be exchanging with, and that could vary from location to location, item to item, day to day as supply and demand naturally dictate.  We will be at a more pure form of capitalism and free trade.

Hmm, regarding the latter, stumbled across this which provides an excellent example of what to do and not do.  We will all need to keep this in mind in the post-SHTF world we are set to enter very soon.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #510 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »

Agreed.  Not in PMs for the money making, in PMs for the real value it will always command.

Yeah, I figured you got it.. It was more for anyone who might come along and not understand your reasoning,   because gold bugs usually pitch that same stats  and then  claim  "Golds going to $2000, $5000 or beyond"   - and most likely it is.  But unless you are paying off dollar denominated debt,  that isn't going to be of any help, as hamburger, bread, milk and gas are headed to $100, $500 and beyond as well.  Its really terrifying how many gold bugs don't pick up on that.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #511 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Agreed.  Not in PMs for the money making, in PMs for the real value it will always command.

Yeah, I figured you got it.. It was more for anyone who might come along and not understand your reasoning,   because gold bugs usually pitch that same stats  and then  claim  "Golds going to $2000, $5000 or beyond"   - and most likely it is.  But unless you are paying off dollar denominated debt,  that isn't going to be of any help, as hamburger, bread, milk and gas are headed to $100, $500 and beyond as well.  Its really terrifying how many gold bugs don't pick up on that.

Yup, the main culprit is fiat and the support structures propping it up.  Once those supports start to weaken and collapse...Katy bar the door!  There will be a whipsaw effect in the early going for valuables like food, fuel and medicine...and unfortunately until the die-back phase runs its course there won't be much equilibrium or stability in Barterland.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #512 on: August 15, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
There will be a whipsaw effect in the early going for valuables like food, fuel and medicine...and unfortunately until the die-back phase runs its course there won't be much equilibrium or stability in Barterland.

And your gold and silver may not be worth much in "barterland", where Ammo, food and Toiletries  command much higher values than shiny rocks.  Though I bet there will be a lot of people willing to take shiny rocks for such supplies as they prepare for phase II after the die back, when they are likely to become money.

Is it bad the term "die-back" brings a smile to my face? I have such a callous disregard for the locusts, but then, I learned it from them didn't I?

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #513 on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »
More Dollars coming home to roost. - Bonds are rising and of course the Fed has to roll over 40% of the debt  in the next two years.  Gold market is getting tighter too, but the premiums have been pretty consistent over the last few months .. and I don't see a lot of stuff out of stock at AMPEX ..

Things are moving. There is no way the Fed can taper.. even  giving a date the taper will start might crash the markets at this point.  I bet anything the Fed announces that they won't.. and then happy days are here again.. till it all goes, and I am afraid that date is getting much much closer.

I have learned not to underestimate TPTB in their ability to extend and pretend this charade. As one commenter from the first article suggests, "Get to the Choppa!!" to most Americans means sit and watch the commercial for the next TV recording device called "The Choppa!" - so financial panic overseas may not translate (immediately) into panic here.  All the same, some of the purchases I have been delaying will probably get executed here in the near term .

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #514 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
There will be a whipsaw effect in the early going for valuables like food, fuel and medicine...and unfortunately until the die-back phase runs its course there won't be much equilibrium or stability in Barterland.

And your gold and silver may not be worth much in "barterland", where Ammo, food and Toiletries  command much higher values than shiny rocks.  Though I bet there will be a lot of people willing to take shiny rocks for such supplies as they prepare for phase II after the die back, when they are likely to become money.

Is it bad the term "die-back" brings a smile to my face? I have such a callous disregard for the locusts, but then, I learned it from them didn't I?

Agreed, diversified physical inventory is going to be essential.  And no, it is not callous or bad to smile at their fate, they are laughing at all us chumps right now funding their FreeShyt! holiday, we'll be laughing last.

;)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #515 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »
More Dollars coming home to roost. - Bonds are rising and of course the Fed has to roll over 40% of the debt  in the next two years.  Gold market is getting tighter too, but the premiums have been pretty consistent over the last few months .. and I don't see a lot of stuff out of stock at AMPEX ..

Things are moving. There is no way the Fed can taper.. even  giving a date the taper will start might crash the markets at this point.  I bet anything the Fed announces that they won't.. and then happy days are here again.. till it all goes, and I am afraid that date is getting much much closer.

I have learned not to underestimate TPTB in their ability to extend and pretend this charade. As one commenter from the first article suggests, "Get to the Choppa!!" to most Americans means sit and watch the commercial for the next TV recording device called "The Choppa!" - so financial panic overseas may not translate (immediately) into panic here.  All the same, some of the purchases I have been delaying will probably get executed here in the near term .

Things are tightening and one day availability will be a real issue...it already is for Central Banks, nobody wants to be caught without once the music stops...and I haven't heard how much (very little I think) Germany got out of NY.  While there is retail availability I'll keep dipping in here and there.  But I need to acquire a few other things yet.  The Fed can't stop the priming, they keep squeezing one end of the balloon or another, the kabuki will end soon enough, but I got a sneakin' feelin' the PTBs got some scheming going on, they might pick on a weak sister or two to sacrifice in order to goad the frightened herd into the risk-off quality refuge of their choosing...might even generate a nation-building exercise somewhere to provide covering fog...more games before the bell tolls.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
Could this be the signal that the buying window for physical is about to shut for a very long time?

When supply can no longer meet demand...look out!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-18/jpmorgan-puzzled-record-gold-backwardation

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #517 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37:49 AM »
Leasing...leverage...whatever...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-03/guest-post-finlands-gold

If you don't have physical possession of something, know what you got?  Nothing!

The gaming cannot continue indefinitely...

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #518 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
This is just more confirmation of manipulation...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-11/what-confidential-1974-memo-paul-volcker-reveals-about-americas-true-views-gold-rese

Tipping point?  Is the death of the dollar a matter of how soon?

::saywhat::

ETA - Maybe really soon!

Chi-Com's have another new gold vault...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-12/china-opens-largest-private-gold-vault-capacity-82-billion-worth-precious-metal

...with more physical flowing into China, the death of the dollar could be really close...and this Fed taper talk again is all just that, talk, those clowns will print us into destitution...and China will foreclose on America!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:16:06 AM by Libertas »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #519 on: November 20, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
The Masters of the Crazy Universe at it again...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-20/furious-gold-slamdown-leads-third-consecutive-20-second-gold-market-halt

...the buying opportunites will cease once physical supply is no longer claimed...then that curtain will be closed until the final act...