Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131231 times)

Offline michelleo

Re: Just commodities
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
We've been spending our cash on all sorts of TEOTWAWKI related items.  It was a toss up: Gold or long-term food stores.  We settled for a little bit of everything.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:34:44 PM by michelleo »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
That'll work!

It's nice to buy in bulk and earn better pricing, but it's all a matter of available funds, timing and prioritization of need.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
They're still there, moving up so fast I feel the need for a bump.

WTI-$111.59
Gas-$3.27
Copper-$4.39
Gold-$1,505
Silver-$45.90

several percent a day?  Hello hyperinflation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
You would think at some point the remaining independents not yet abandoning Obama & the Dem's will be doing so in droves if the pain increases enough.  Frankly I think the level is intolerable, but jeesh, what's it take for some people to completely break away from these fools and say enough is enough?!

Meanwhile Barry just keeps going to fund raisers to fleece the faithful and BS people into believing all of this misery is all for their own good!

::)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
You would think at some point the remaining independents not yet abandoning Obama & the Dem's will be doing so in droves if the pain increases enough.  Frankly I think the level is intolerable, but jeesh, what's it take for some people to completely break away from these fools and say enough is enough?!

Meanwhile Barry just keeps going to fund raisers to fleece the faithful and BS people into believing all of this misery is all for their own good!

Continuing the tangential: IIRC, day before yesterday $32K a plate, yesterday $36K a plate, today $1500 a plate with Jamie Fox and tonight $36K a plate and you get face time.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

Continuing the tangential: IIRC, day before yesterday $32K a plate, yesterday $36K a plate, today $1500 a plate with Jamie Fox and tonight $36K a plate and you get face time.

Morons.  Oh, and how much of that loot actually came in illegally from overseas?!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
Now for the crash, as traders start factoring another recession into their trading projections...

WTI-$101.00
Gas-$3.13 (down 19c in one day!)
Copper-$3.99
Gold-$1,478 (this is actually holding fairly firm)
Silver-$36.10 (definitely crashing now)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
PM's are explainable...

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,1357.0.html

I still say stocks have more gas in them...professional gas...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »
Huge Buy Opportunity coming....
The fundamentals have not changed.  The money is still being printed, the Federal government is still headed for default. The State pension funds ar still headed for default. Foriegn Powers  and central banks are continuing to deleverage fomr the dollar. The Middle East is still in Chaos,  Unemployment is still high,and GDP is still little to no growth .. unless all of that changes,  hedging against inflation and an new reserve currency STILL makes sense

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »

I wouldn't give a stool sample to see him choke on his teleprompter. ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
Karl Denninger had a post about this today:

"But It's All Money Printing!"
Are markets going higher?  Based on what?  Expectations on a forward basis and general bullishness are ridiculously high.  Profit projections are for $100 on the SPX for the year.  Really?  With all the input cost pressures already in the cake and unable to come back out for six to nine months?

This was exactly what I was warning about last August when this pattern began to be evident - that those who chased and continued to pile in would eventually get their heads cut off.

Sure, if you just bought with cash back then you're doing fine.  But far too many people did not.  They kept adding off their paper "profits" - margin debt is at extremely high levels, as people piled in more and more as prices rose.

Well, now there's a problem and it's especially bad if you're in a levered instrument such as the futures markets.

You buy a contract that controls $50,000 of the underlying with a margin of $5,000.  The contract's value goes up 10%.  You now have a 100% profit against your margin.  You take that and buy another contract.

What happens if the price goes back to the original level?  You're in trouble, that's what.

Not only is your original $5,000 margin "profit" gone but so is another $5,000, even though price just round-tripped up and then down!  That is, you're now broke as your entire original stake has evaporated into the ether, even though prices are right back to where they were.

If you think this isn't common, you're very wrong.  It is.  Traders blow up in this fashion all the time.  It's idiotic, but it happens on virtually every prolonged move where leverage becomes the gist of the action.  It happened to real estate speculators during the real estate bubble, it happened to tech speculators during the 1990s and now it's happening again.

Might this "stop" at some point before the market really unwinds?  It might.  But there's no guarantee that it will.  In fact, there's plenty of reason to believe it won't - that margin calls will in fact beget more margin calls.

In 2008, these sorts of margin-unwind trades are what fostered the instability that ultimately blew up in everyone's face.  The systemic imbalances in the system are worse now than they were in early 2008, and the policy response available to attempt to stop a collapse are nearly all spent.

Go to the link to see the original text formatting and emphasis.  I lose it when I copy and paste, and I probably only have a few minutes before my computer seizes up again..
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »

Rickl, glad you're back. Do you have a new one?

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

Rickl, glad you're back. Do you have a new one?

No, I'm still waiting for it.  It looks like I won't get it until Monday.  In the meantime, I can get my current computer to work for a few minutes at a time by using a heat gun.  See here.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »

Just be aware that you're buying into a margin liquidation, and if the "Cheap Money" disappears, you're going to be dealing with a lot of sleepless nights.

The Bernank said QE2 ends this summer.   This may be a big dipper.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
The Bernank said QE2 ends this summer.   This may be a big dipper.
Thats only ending the QE that they are telling the public about.  I suspect the Plunge team has their own line of QE access.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 06:41:27 AM »
Yes, the margin calls on the silly people who overextended themselves in futures is causing the sell off, so that musical chairs tune will carry a bit, and once everything settles down the fundamentals imperiling this economy are still very much in play and the march will resume, albeit at a reduced pace.  In the meantime, if you absolutely need to sell positions for retirement needs etc by all means take measures to ensure your short term liquidity needs, but if you are comfortable with waiting by this time next year I am guessing we'll be hearing of the newfound interest in precious metals.

ETA - I plan on buying more, in increments, as I always do, during this reset.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »

Image deleted, CO.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:46:56 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
And an interesting lag/lead analysis on oil & the dollar -

Causeation and correlation. .. its always hard to see the cause.. when each has an affect on the other, and there are further factors.

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2011/05/closer-look-at-new-jobless-claims.html

A break in the trend of unemployment can also cause oil to drop. Or did it?