Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131170 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Just commodities
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
Hilarious, Effen Yellen says no change in rates and gold and silver go shooting up and the dollar takes it hard in the Obama!   ::hysterical::

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-19/silver-surges-3-month-highs-china-ponzi-unwinds

These two comments from the article nail it!

lordylord

"When I have to pay a $5 / OZ premium for physical then I will know the game has changed."

When people aren't taking dollars for silver, then the game has changed.

Dr. Engali

That's my point. If you don't own some before a disaster, it will be too late to get your hands on any after it happens. Because if and when disaster strikes, it will be fast and furious.

Same goes for silver and lead.  Gold might be barterable for big ticket stuff, but it will be silver that allows you to trade for necessities, and lead that will allow the transaction to be conducted fairly.

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
Hilarious, Effen Yellen says no change in rates and gold and silver go shooting up and the dollar takes it hard in the Obama!   ::hysterical::

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-19/silver-surges-3-month-highs-china-ponzi-unwinds

lordylord

"When I have to pay a $5 / OZ premium for physical then I will know the game has changed."

Dr. Engali

That's my point. If you don't own some before a disaster, it will be too late to get your hands on any after it happens. Because if and when disaster strikes, it will be fast and furious.

Same goes for silver and lead.  Gold might be barterable for big ticket stuff, but it will be silver that allows you to trade for necessities, and lead that will allow the transaction to be conducted fairly.

;)

Iv'e always liked that Dr. Engali

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #542 on: June 23, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »

lordylord

Dr. Engali

;)

Iv'e always liked that Dr. Engali

He is one of the sharper tools in that shed that's for sure.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #543 on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:06 AM »
Jeez Louise!  You see the PM charts this morning?

The typical 8am monkey-hammering of gold & silver by the PTBs is a little too coordinated, their charts look damn near the same tick by tick!

These clowns are definitely not trying to hide their manipulation...

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
I like charts, these are kinda neat...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-14/150-years-real-oil-prices

And some more perspective on PMs & oil...

http://srsroccoreport.com/the-gold-oil-ratio-forecasts-a-much-higher-price-for-gold/the-gold-oil-ratio-forecasts-a-much-higher-price-for-gold/

And look at the erratic EKG...

http://pricedingold.com/charts/Crude-1950.pdf

...crap started going wonky about the time Nixon took us off the gold standard and handed the entire economy to the Fed!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #545 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:54 AM »
This article makes several good points and since silver has dipped below $20/oz again, that is usually my flag for looking at another puchase of some physical...as well as a boating trip...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-14/guest-post-top-7-reasons-buy-silver-now

Markups currently range from 4-15% on 1oz rounds, depending upon the quantity and method of payment...

http://www.apmex.com/category/25020/silver-rounds/all

I usually buy no less than 20 and those markups range from 9-12%.

I say it is still a good buy.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #546 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
This is interesting but I find it somewhat crass of ZH to post an article that is basically an online version of an infomercial...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-27/what-next-gold-confiscation-will-look

I like the idea of a Roth IRA gold position with physical protected in Switzerland...but...if the scat really hits the fan...how do I get it from there to here, or me from here to there...?

Not in the realm of the possible for most modest folks...what we have is bang sticks and the will to use them should anybody come asking for jack!!!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #547 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »
Nothing we we didn't already know, but the cnetral banks are trading in commodities.

Warning, the link goes to Barnhardt's site, because as usual her analysis is dead on  ( and she is more fun)  If it bugs you click here to go to zerohedge

Sooooo do you think that it is a tiny bit problematic for entities that PRINT MONEY to trade equity, currency and commodity markets?

Do you think it is problematic that an entity that can print theoretically infinite amounts of money IN ORDER TO MEET ITS MARGIN CALLS can trade massively leveraged markets?

Do you think it is problematic that entities that can stand theoretically infinite losses, who can print their way out of ANY position with effectively zero need to ever close out a position, and thus utterly destroy any connection whatsoever of the markets to REALITY, do you think that might just present a tiny bit of a market integrity issue?  Just a smidge??

I want someone to explain to me how honest cash-derivative basis convergence can possibly, possibly happen if one side of the market has an infinite supply of funds, and thus for whom the entire notion of “losses” becomes a complete irrelevancy.  Please.  I’m all ears.

I want to know how arbitrage can occur in that environment.

And perhaps THE ENTIRE POINT:

I WANT TO KNOW HOW ANY DERIVATIVE MARKET CAN POSSIBLY REMAIN SUBJECT TO ITS UNDERLYING CASH PRODUCT/COMMODITY IF THERE IS NO WAY TO FORCE PRICE CONVERGENCE BECAUSE ONE SIDE HAS AN INFINITE SUPPLY OF MONEY.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW THE CASH MARKETS ARE NOT THEN PERVERSELY DRIVEN AND THEIR PRICES “SET” BY THEIR DERIVATIVE MARKETS,  EVEN UNTO COMPLETE IRRATIONALITY AND UTTER DELINKAGE FROM REALITY, WHEN ENTITIES WHO CAN PRINT THEIR OWN MONEY ARE TRADING DERIVATIVES.

Food.  Energy.  Currencies.  Precious metals.  Interest rates.  Equities (stocks).

Now we know why these flash crashes happen.  Now we know how it is that super-massive orders and trades have wrought havoc on the markets – running stops and clearing everyone and everything on the other side out in quantities that surpassed the sizes of any possible private market participant.  Central banks.  You people are trying to trade against someone with an infinite supply of money.

Which is why there is no longer something called an "investment"  - you can gamble in these markets, just like you do in Vegas,  but without real value being discovered by real buyers and real sellers,  who have to use real sweat and effort in trade,  you are just hoping your number comes up.  Material goods like gold, silver are not investments - they are shiny rocks. They are worth what shiny rocks are worth.  IN 2000 the yellow shiny rocks were "worth" around $300. Now they are worth $1300. In ten years they may be worth $1,000,000.  Only the Shiny rock is NOT gaining in value.  The Dollar is losing it.  You are not, therefore, "investing" - you are hedging.  You will end up holding about as much value as you originally put in.

The only real investments you can make now are in our own human capital and ability to produce - they are the only ones that might return more in value than what you put in.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #548 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »
You are not, therefore, "investing" - you are hedging.

That's what I keep trying to tell people about shiny rocks, only I say it differently, "you're not 'making' money; you're storing some value.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #549 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
Which is why I mentioned in the "dollar" thread if we cannot get rid of the corruption, fraud and cronyism we are still marching toward the abyss....

But the fools (PTBs) think their games can last forever...at some point the currency destruction, the wealth destruction, the job destruction and trust destruction intersect and the whole thing implodes...

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2014, 06:53:12 AM »
I can hear Ann chuckling about this...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-08/these-kinds-market-rigging-practices-will-no-longer-be-allowed-cme

...as always, rigging has never been legal, but idiots think the next wave of laws, rules and regs will be "the fix" when all they are is PR window-dressing BS that at best makes the life of the average person more difficult!

The PTBs will still conspire and collude and make their mischief...maybe a few more lower-level lackies get sacrificed, no biggie, all for the greater good of the cabal...

::mooning::

ETA - Re: Cabal, see last link here!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:30:49 AM by Libertas »

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-08/these-kinds-market-rigging-practices-will-no-longer-be-allowed-cme

...as always, rigging has never been legal, but idiots think the next wave of laws, rules and regs will be "the fix" when all they are is PR window-dressing BS that at best makes the life of the average person more difficult!

The PTBs will still conspire and collude and make their mischief...maybe a few more lower-level lackies get sacrificed, no biggie, all for the greater good of the cabal...

Since ethics is something people had in centuries past, no new set of laws for the exchanges will ever correct what's the market lacks, humanity, justice and humbleness. These asswipes are only looking to earn, steal really, money as fast as they can to accumulate vast wealth of "things" before their neighbors can only make them envious. Hard work use to be rewarded once upon a time opposed to what we do now is reward criminals that destroy other people's wealth.

Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »

Since ethics is something people had in centuries past, no new set of laws for the exchanges will ever correct what's the market lacks, humanity, justice and humbleness. These asswipes are only looking to earn, steal really, money as fast as they can to accumulate vast wealth of "things" before their neighbors can only make them envious. Hard work use to be rewarded once upon a time opposed to what we do now is reward criminals that destroy other people's wealth.

Step number 7 of this list that we are very deep into!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
http://live.wsj.com/video/zinc-shortage-causes-prices-to-soar-to-three-year-high/2DDCDEF9-EB8C-4083-BCBE-136FCA5E988C.html#!2DDCDEF9-EB8C-4083-BCBE-136FCA5E988C

Let's keep making the worthless cent, because the stupid think they'll get ripped off if we as a society, start rounding to the nearest nickel.  Which is the same as rounding to the nearest cent in 1970.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #554 on: September 10, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »
Yup, been watning that annoyance dumped for at least a decade and a half now!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #555 on: September 23, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
When the International Board of the Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE) was launched last Thursday September 18 during an evening trading session, it was notable that the first transactions were put through by a diverse group comprising HSBC, MKS (Switzerland), and the Chinese banks,  ICBC, Bank of China and Bank of Communications.

MKS is the Geneva headquartered precious metals trading group that also owns the large PAMP refinery company in Switzerland.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-23/china-moves-dominate-gold-market-physical-exchange

Normally I would be "Huh, interesting, let's wait and see" but PAMP caught my eye, they are not an insignificant player in the physical PM market, this might have more impact up front than I initially thought.

And I agree with the sentiment that this is more about the Chi-Com's positioning themselves as preeminent manipulator without peer...when (not if) the U.S. shyts itself, not because of any noble interest in advancing the condition of the common man.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #556 on: October 09, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Even with the pullback in PM prices...not all retail margins are all that great...

http://www.apmex.com/

Gold has decent value to premiums once you get to 1/4 oz or 10 grams & higher.

Silver should be better bargain now with bid/ask below $18, but the premiums are kinda stinky until you get to the 100 Oz size (for 1 round) or at the 1 Oz size for 100 or more.

Interesting that Palladium at 1 Oz has a very low premium at the per Oz level, but you'll have to shell out in cash (ck/wire) in the low $800 range.

Platinum has never really been affordable for most folks.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »
Hey, baby!  Silver getting monkey-hammered!

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=SI&p=m5

Premiums on rounds are about 2% less than there were three weeks ago for rounds off 100 or more and 20 or more!

http://www.apmex.com/category/20000/silver

::whoohoo::

My order just went in. 

Now, watch it drop some more, and tempt me again!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:19:34 AM by Libertas »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #558 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:50 AM »
Jesus, Mary and that other guy!!!  Didn't take long to grant that wish!!!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-05/because-nothing-says-best-execution-dumping-15-billion-gold-futures-0030et

These puppetmasters really never stop and can't hide for squat!

Fine, OK, idiots, I'll bite...another order please!!!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #559 on: November 05, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

Premiums on rounds are about 2% less than there were three weeks ago for rounds off 100 or more and 20 or more!

Yeah, if you don't own shiny rocks this may be a good time to get more.. but they are going to suppress the crap out of these going forward..as the charts show - they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.  Best execution, ha. .

the premiums on junk silver are the highest I have ever seen them.. $2.49/oz. ( and that is for the big bags..) It was under 20 Cents/oz before Obama...