Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131114 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Just commodities
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
Friday is usually gouge day, more often than not.  It can't stay in the 3.40's for long.  $3.699 maybe?

$6 gas in Florida

Oil is not up, the dollar is down.
During the 493 months since January 1, 1971, the price of WTI has averaged Au0.0732/bbl. It has been higher than that during 225 of those months and lower than that during 268 of those months. Plotted as a graph, the line representing the price of a barrel of oil in terms of gold has crossed the horizontal line representing the long-term average price (Au0.0732/bbl) 29 times.

Did you get your cost of living raise?  Maybe Obama needs a new law: for every 50% devaluation of the currency, you get a 5% increase in pay.

And just to drive the point home ( and give these links a better place to be than than the European thread)
The Race to Debase
The Race to Debase in terms of Gold
the Dow in terms of Gold
S&P index  measured in Oil

Meanwhile gold is proving it cares nothing for anyone's feelings.
Up to $1777

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:14:31 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
Oil is up, as Brent is the proxy for Mid-East oil and has been rising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/futures/

For gas, growing demand in emerging markets is driving demand more than anything.

Gold is AUsome, they can only play so many games, it's value has nothing but upward pressure.  As soon as it hits new recent highs, some will cash out for fiat currency, which if they aren't converting it to something equally valuable...I see no point.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:51 AM »
Gold vs stocks and the impact of the CFSB fear index.  Please take special note of comments by "credittrader", he knows his stuff!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-explodes-nyse-volume-re-implodes

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Please take special note of comments by "credittrader", he knows his stuff!

Wonderful, now I know more than I wanted to about how to leverage an "event" using long term vs. short term gambling, I mean trading.
ZH comments are often more worth your time than the articles themselves, and once in a while you get a  good zinger in the 3rd grade taunts, and the political spectrum runs the gambit.

A lot of the folks on ZH are full time, don't care how I make money, as long as I make it, traders.  Maybe I am stupid, but I just can't bring myself to make money the way these people do-which is mostly by fleecing the less experienced and less attentive. Basically riding on the scams bigger and larger forces are setting up to the detriment of us all.  The recent Greek bailout comes to mind - trying to sign up a future generation to pay the bartab of the previous one, and to foreigners,  and they will try it here too. And these guys will salivate all over it.  And then there is the Gold-bug/Day-Trader rivalry. Gold-bugs fear the collapse of the system over the next few years, and the traders see nothing but day, week, month long opportunities to make a buck, and don't care if the system goes or not - after all, they "got theirs." And really that is the mindset of our current political class- they know its going down- might as well pull as much for themselves out before it goes. 

I knew the S&P would run from 6500 to some stupidly high level on QE, but I couldn't bring myself to speculate on it. I have the same problems with "short" positions.. I think its just wrong and immoral to bet against someones success -  not to mention that it creates a moral hazard  incentive to drive failures.  I get that shorts serve a genuine purpose in allowing commodities producers to shift their risk to investors,  but I can't figure out why anyone with a Stock would need that. I see how most of these scams,schemes,  methods work,  I just couldn't look myself in a mirror if I used them. Isn't  that sad?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Yeah, some of the more unabashed speculators replicate what some of the large central bank & borkerage houses predatory practices, there is legitimate uses for hedge plays, but by and large the Ron Paul hardcore ZH commenter despises pretty much all of them.

Right now the major shakers seem to be squeezing what real value there is to be had, regardless who it leaves in the dirt, and when the air is let out of bloated equity and credit markets...well, the carnage will be enormous.  Doubling-down on insanity is all they have left, try to postpone Judgement Day and kick the can down the old decomposing road...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Yeah, some of the more unabashed speculators replicate what some of the large central bank & borkerage houses predatory practices, there is legitimate uses for hedge plays, but by and large the Ron Paul hardcore ZH commenter despises pretty much all of them.

Case in point:

So, what is wrong all of a sudden with paying your bills even if it has to be in gold?  Seizing assets that are pledged in a loan agreement is one of the foundations of our banking systems.  How does this all of a sudden become something dispicable like 'plundering"?

Ratboy.  Are bailouts and quantative easings part of the foundation of our banking systems?

Yes they are.  The sooner that you can accept those facts that the sooner you will be able to make rational decisions about the world and your own finances.

Yes, I know the world sucks, but you can use that to make a buck, and you are irrational if you don't.

The World Is What We Make Of It

Some bucks aren't worth the Karma they cost.  If that makes me an idiot, so be it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:00:04 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
I hear ya, I'm more of a long term investor, although I have engaged in short-term plays before, and I am (and have been for several years now) where value is - commodities.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
Some bucks aren't worth the Karma the cost.

It may be legal, but that doesn't make it isn't moral or ethical.  It strikes me that this is what's wrong with a lot of our financial system and the players in it - there's less and less honor.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
Unless you have a ton of money and sophisticated trading programs its hard to beat the big money houses to the punch, the vast majority of us will just get squished.  Ask Ann Barnhardt.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
Oil is up, as Brent is the proxy for Mid-East oil and has been rising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/futures/

For gas, growing demand in emerging markets is driving demand more than anything.

Gold is AUsome, they can only play so many games, it's value has nothing but upward pressure.  As soon as it hits new recent highs, some will cash out for fiat currency, which if they aren't converting it to something equally valuable...I see no point.

And the POS currently occupying the WH is all over the "news" today talking about high gas prices - clips - mocking Republicans, "so, what's their solution?  Drill.  And then drill some more.  And keep drilling".

How cum (yes, this is rhetorical) higher gas prices during Bush's terms were his fault because he was "an oilman" and "in bed with the oil companies", but escalating gas prices now are still Republicans' fault, EVEN THOUGH the aforementioned POS said, during his previous campaign, that he wanted higher prices at the pump?

I so hate this guy; let me count the wayz .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
I H8 him too, should be a no-brainer beat-back on this issue, but aside from Palin and a few orthers nobody has the stones or sense to.

::gaah::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:43 AM »
This is a good retrospective on the silver market, there is a lot of technical jargon, but if you at least read the "what I learned" paragraph and the last two paragraphs you should have a better appreciation of how the big guns game the system for advantage.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/archives-bunker-hunt-and-silver-thursday

I can imagine what Ann Barnhardt would say about this!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/20/us-usa-fed-gold-idUSBRE82J17A20120320
(Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Tuesday took aim at proponents of the gold standard, saying that such a system handicaps the government's ability to address economic conditions.

Link

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:06 AM »
You know what that means CO?  Yup, confiscation is coming.  Best stash that stash good and tell the Fed's it was all tragically lost in a boating accident!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »

It was a turribal turribal thing, yes it was.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
Turribal.

::hysterical::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »

The money quote:

[blockquote]    Interviewer: If he [Corzine} gets off doing this scott free without any investigation [uh, how about a criminal conviction??], what does that say to the future?

Koutoulas: It says that you should get your money out of the U.S. financial system, because people can go in and take money out of not just a bank account, but something that is supposed to be much safer than a bank account, and have no repercussions, and this cannot stand. And if it does, America's financial system is not safe for anybody.

Hat tip: Warren Pollock
 [/blockquote]

Has JP Morgan Looted Accounts During Previous Bankruptcies? Lehman Brothers and Lessons Not Learned

The beginning:

Koutoulas Faces Reality: Financial System Toast
Posted by Ann Barnhardt - March 21, AD 2012 1:43 PM MST
Remember James Koutoulas? He's the Roy Orbison-looking guy who ran a hedge fund and got raped by MF Global. Mr. Koutoulas was also a lawyer, so he decided to dust off his J.D. and fight in court, and became a "voice of the customers." When I shut Barnhardt Capital Management down in November of 2011, he criticized me for not sticking around and fighting it out - which is a very faulty argument because I and all brokers are basically HELPLESS to defend client funds with FCMs, and because I would be risking not just my own money, but orders of magnitude more at risk would be MY CLIENTS' funds. My client book value ranged from twenty to sixty times my personal posted capital, which is very standard. The capital I had to post personally was basically to protect my clearing firm against two things: a big trading error on my part, OR a client skipping out on a deficit balance. It's one thing to lay down your own chips. It is quite another to cavalierly lay down someone else's chips. Big, big moral difference there.

Well, Mr. Koutoulas, after staring down the beast from inside the pit for these last five months, has reached the same conclusion that I reached two weeks after the MF Global collapse. The U.S. financial system is irretrievably broken. All hands abandon ship.

I don't know who the interviewer is, but his "sympathy for Corzine" schtick is total bee-ess. You can't "temporarily steal" someone else's funds to finance your suicidally stupid house accounts. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that justifies monkeying around with customer money. This moral equivocation crap has got to stop.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:53 AM »

The money quote:

[blockquote]    Interviewer: If he [Corzine} gets off doing this scott free without any investigation [uh, how about a criminal conviction??], what does that say to the future?

Koutoulas: It says that you should get your money out of the U.S. financial system, because people can go in and take money out of not just a bank account, but something that is supposed to be much safer than a bank account, and have no repercussions, and this cannot stand. And if it does, America's financial system is not safe for anybody.

Hat tip: Warren Pollock
 [/blockquote]

Has JP Morgan Looted Accounts During Previous Bankruptcies? Lehman Brothers and Lessons Not Learned

The beginning:

Koutoulas Faces Reality: Financial System Toast
Posted by Ann Barnhardt - March 21, AD 2012 1:43 PM MST
Remember James Koutoulas? He's the Roy Orbison-looking guy who ran a hedge fund and got raped by MF Global. Mr. Koutoulas was also a lawyer, so he decided to dust off his J.D. and fight in court, and became a "voice of the customers." When I shut Barnhardt Capital Management down in November of 2011, he criticized me for not sticking around and fighting it out - which is a very faulty argument because I and all brokers are basically HELPLESS to defend client funds with FCMs, and because I would be risking not just my own money, but orders of magnitude more at risk would be MY CLIENTS' funds. My client book value ranged from twenty to sixty times my personal posted capital, which is very standard. The capital I had to post personally was basically to protect my clearing firm against two things: a big trading error on my part, OR a client skipping out on a deficit balance. It's one thing to lay down your own chips. It is quite another to cavalierly lay down someone else's chips. Big, big moral difference there.

Well, Mr. Koutoulas, after staring down the beast from inside the pit for these last five months, has reached the same conclusion that I reached two weeks after the MF Global collapse. The U.S. financial system is irretrievably broken. All hands abandon ship.

I don't know who the interviewer is, but his "sympathy for Corzine" schtick is total bee-ess. You can't "temporarily steal" someone else's funds to finance your suicidally stupid house accounts. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that justifies monkeying around with customer money. This moral equivocation crap has got to stop.

Amen, Sister!

And I would argue much of what people think is "safe" right now is at risk.  Think beyond your everyday bank account, I'm talking 401(k), 403(b), pensions, IRA's & brokerage accounts!  All are at risk either from government seizure or debasement and/or fiduciary failures ala MFG!  There is a psychotic form of musical chairs going on in the world and only the master manipulators like Soros are profiting from it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »

http://freebeacon.com/gun-boom-continues-despite-florida-shooting/
Shares of Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR) were up as high as 14 percent Thursday afternoon after CEO Michael Fifer announced the company was temporarily suspending its acceptance of new orders in an effort to meet a dramatic surge in demand for its products.

“Despite the company’s continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders,” Fifer said in the statement late Wednesday.

Ruger received more than a million order requests in the first quarter of 2012.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
Whoa, people be sensing something out there eh?

And the government ordering a buttload of .40cal ammo probably doesn't lessen the fear at all either, eh?

Bullish on guns & ammo!