Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 133072 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Just commodities
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:13 AM »
Yeah, if gold dips below $1300 and silver below $25 you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to load up on more physical!

Those dumbasses on Dylan Ratassigan's program were talking about gold yesterday . The comparison was gold as a commodity just like "pork bellies" . How stupid can these people be ? You can't hold on to pork bellies for twenty years !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »
Yeah, if gold dips below $1300 and silver below $25 you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to load up on more physical!

Those dumbasses on Dylan Ratassigan's program were talking about gold yesterday . The comparison was gold as a commodity just like "pork bellies" . How stupid can these people be ? You can't hold on to pork bellies for twenty years !

Heh, yeah...metal, flesh...it's all non-perishable to a moron!

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
Hey, lookie!  Non-perishable gold is up $14 already...I hear rumors that QE3 is all but certain, yup, nothing drives up gold like beating the crap out of your own currency!

These one-trick Neo-Keynesian ponies...

::)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
This guy is killing me!  Really, recession is the only thing that can kill gold from rising?  We've been in a depressed economy for how long now?!  And higher gas prices will NOT stop these clowns from pumping whatever measley gain in GDP out this election year no matter!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/gold-heading-700-author-sees-impending-collapse-124847501.html?l=1

PM's come down that low, I am selling off anything not nailed down to buy!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

"If we have a recession or slowing global growth then all assets fall -- it's a deflationary period," Jacobs says. "Even though a lot of people are expecting inflation, if we enter recession that means the price of assets falls. Gold will fall together with the rest of commodities."

[/quote]

Inflation is more money chasing goods and services right?

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

"If we have a recession or slowing global growth then all assets fall -- it's a deflationary period," Jacobs says. "Even though a lot of people are expecting inflation, if we enter recession that means the price of assets falls. Gold will fall together with the rest of commodities."

Inflation is more money chasing goods and services right?

[/quote]
Technically inflation is just an increase in the money supply. It usually results in higher prices, but if the velocity of money is low, it may not.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »

Somewhere in the middle of a nightmare night before last I worked out a scenario
by which we are headed and are going to have a depression.  I awoke with such a
start that I forgot the mechanics but it took awhile to get rid of the adrenalin.

Has there ever been an incidence where there has been so much available money
and no inflation?  Not being coy, I don't know.  It just doesn't seem plausible to
have the amount of money that's being floated around and not have inflation.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2012, 07:10:50 AM »
Like Weisshaupt said, supply is one thing, velocity another.  Typically when economies "overheat" it is because the velocity kicked in, usually a combination of easy money monetary policy, Neo-Keynesian fiscal stimulus and normal economic recovery which the central bankers did not properly time (which is the classic "overshoot" vs "soft-landing" or "undershoot").  Ceteris paribus, if the economy is weak and unemployment high adding money supply isn't too inflationary, soon as things improve if you are still doing easy money and stimulus it can get out of hand.  Rates rising/falling can expand/contract economic activity.  Right now we are still at ZIRP (zero interest rate policy).  The wildcard in this is the amount of money added to the money supply the past 4 years is floating out there, all that monetization of debt that has devalued our purchasing power, that has been the hidden burden we've been forced to accept.  The debt continues to rise, monetization continues with hints of QE3 around the corner and ZIRP is here to stay a while longer...and no improvement in sight.  If we get the velocity (driven by massive over-printing) with money supply already out there, well, what's a good example?  Zimbabwe?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »

Re: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/paul-mylchreest-presents-various-visual-case-studies-gold-price-manipulation

They did it again.

08:10 AM  $1646.40
09:20 AM  $1637.80
10: 30 AM $1646.10

Silver
08:10 AM $31.92
09:20 AM $31.66
09:40 AM $31.78

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
Yeah, saw that, more notable in gold, but jeesh, the central banker fingerprints are obvious.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
Speaking of fingerprints...these ones are yellow! 

“And I’m going to tell you: you are going to go to sleep on Thursday night and gold may be $1,670. And then you wake up the next day and it’s going to be a banking holiday. And gold will be $3,000 bid, no offer,” he says.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gold-expert-heres-why-you-need-to-be-buying-physical-gold-and-silver-hint-it-involves-china/

And the worst part is, The Regime's policies are helping feed the CHiCom's cheap gold!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

They have been converting US Treasury's into tangible items (buying African gold mines and everything else not nailed down) ever since it became obvious Obama was going to
monetize the debt.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
Perfect bumper sticker for Limosine 1 - "Our Leader is dumber than your Leader".

But I guess that's like saying the sky is blue...

::)

Punked by the ChiCom's though!  There was a time when even a Democrat would be appalled to let that happen.  Well, those days are long long dead...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »

Punking validates his existence, it's an achievement of oneness for him.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Yeah, he is one, that's for sure!   ::mooning:: 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
Mexico & Russia biggest gold buyers in March.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/russia-and-mexico-both-buy-nearly-1-billion-worth-gold-march

OK, so typically if there is such demand for gold, baring any new big discoveries among the mining companies, the price should rise as demand increases.  But there is not enough price increase to explain all these purchases.  So it is either a net-zero trade on the supply end of existing physical, or there is some manipulation going on.  Who really has "too much gold" they can afford to part with out of the goodness of their heart?

So, any new discoveries?  I can only find one article - 40 tons -

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/27/sumitomo-metal-mining-idUSL3E8ER0FW20120327

And Mining News isn't exactly flush with new discoveries.

http://www.petroleumnews.com/miningnewsnorth/index.shtml

Typically, when PM prices rise, it becomes more advantageous to expand mining operations and exploration.  That appears to be going on, and I think there is some modest new deposits being brought to market, and there may be some release of mining company reserves when prices rise, so some demand could be easily satisfied without bumping prices, but prices should be rising more than they are IMO.

Anyway, something to keep an eye on.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
Typically, when PM prices rise, it becomes more advantageous to expand mining operations and exploration.  That appears to be going on, and I think there is some modest new deposits being brought to market, and there may be some release of mining company reserves when prices rise, so some demand could be easily satisfied without bumping prices, but prices should be rising more than they are IMO.

I think you are right this is the same sort of price manipulation you are seeing in the Silver market. They just flood the market with Naked Shorts, and  then buy those contracts themselves.  The people who invest in Gold ETFs and other paper gold are going to be paid in fiat.  There have been numerous cases lately where physical deposits  were demanded ( ones upon which people paid for physical storage) and had to be settled for fiat because the bank couldn't deliver. These aren't small fry banks- this is Goldman Sachs etc.

Further the biggest store of gold is in people's dressers. In bad economic times a lot of "junk" Gold - jewerly etc is getting reclaimed as people go to the "cash for gold" place and get screwed.   Scrap gold makes up at least a  third of the supply -  and as prices rise, more people are parting with it.  The article indicates that current sources of scrap gold are drying up, but that new ones in Italy and other strapped Euro countries as well as in the US are begining to produce more. 

Also Gold is like Oil. We know where a lot of it is, but for years it wasn't profitable to remove. Now it is, but also like oil, it takes time to ramp up, and you don't do that if you expect prices to fall before your production can be started.   

But the real factor is that we  haven't reached the point where the majority see the Gold as money. Hell, we haven't reached the point where the majority see that the point of no return has been crossed. Even if buying gold, they by and large don't demand physical possesion and take the world of people who say they have it "safe"- its paper, and eventually those contracts will be worht only the paper and ink.

It is entirely  possible that bullion may never be money again - the sheep might just accept the new blue currency and go on as before.  Countries who are buying want to acquire as much as they can at the low price, so they can't demand physical faster than its produced - so they don't.  The key thing to watch is the physical "premium" - I tend to watch APMEX $500 junk silver bags - as that is the cheapest and most recognizable bullion available. . If there is a real physical shortage ( like after the 2008 crash)  they simply won't have junk silver or anything for sale - it will all be "backordered" -- right now we have a medium/low temp on physical l demand- I have seen premiums as much as $0.50 an ounce on Junk silver at APMEX - much higher than they start having the "shortages" - right now the premium is around $0.20.  Point is its a quasi proxy for physical demand.  The lowest I have seen is $0.10. If you buy a bag of junk silver from Apmex they remember and send you offers to buy it back if they are running low.

The Price won't skyrocket until its obvious that a recovery is not on the horizon, and a real run on physical starts.  The big players know what is going on, but they don't want to start a run.. they will acquire at manipulated prices as long as they can, and will buy only so much as the supply will allow at that price.. There is no point in bidding up  the price in hopes of getting more physical than can be supplied in the first place. Better to play the game and milk the cow till the cow is slaughtered by other forces. Same as we have been doing. Silver is almost to my "Dip Price" again now.  Buy more.  Sit on it. Wait for the next dip. Repeat. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
Agree 100%.  I too like watching premiums, and APMEX is where I usually buy physical.  Seeing what the premiums are and what is in/out of stock are indicators as to what the retail market is thinking.  I've been buying silver on dips regularly.  Premiums for 1oz rounds of 20+ is about 8.1%, would like to see that lower, especially since there is S&H on top of that.

::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »

11:50      1640.80
12:40      1625.40
01:40      1644.40

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Average Joe Blow -  ::hanging::

Average Insider -  ::bigmooning::

Required response by Joe's & Jane's -  ::asskicking::

What we get from the Regulators -  ::doublebird::

What I feel like -  ::smalldeadhorse::