Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131105 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Just commodities
« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
Poor retail sales numbers, more anticipation for QE3...and PM's pop up.

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=METALS&p=m5

QE3....LOL.

Obama lambasts the "rich", while unloading free money on the market. I'm sure the poor and middle class will flourish.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

QE3....LOL.

Obama lambasts the "rich", while unloading free money on the market. I'm sure the poor and middle class will flourish.

Yeah, his crony capitalists will prosper while everybody else gets the shaft!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »

QE3....LOL.

Yeah, his crony capitalists will prosper while everybody else gets the shaft!

Amazing how gullible the chosen ones followers are....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
The disconnect between SPOT price and Real, "gimme my bullion" price continues.

Last night $500 face value 90% junk silver bag  now carried a premium of $1.45/oz at APMEX. - when Silver was at 26.70 or so
This morning Silver is at 27.46 and the premium is $1.50/oz

Oh yeah, its on sale! The fact that the premium is going up even with price going up means that Apmex isn't just trying to profit a bit from the dip-- they know the demand is outstripping the spot price by quite a bit.. and selling it  priced accordingly.   in 2008 a movement in silver of $0.10 in a day is a lot and premiums were $0.05 to $0.20 - through most of 2011 they were $0.40, and this least year they rose to $0.85..

The physical market must certainly be heating up.. and these are "junk coins" with no collectors value. They are only 90% silver. This is the bottom of the barrel of the "investors" silver market. So either we have a bunch of preppers chasing junk silver as a fad- enough to move the premium over  $1 on a $30 purchase, or we are reaching the point of no returns on the physical silver market.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
Now the Junk Silver is back down to $1.45/oz premium,but it isn't available until 7/6/2012

Physical supply is seeing another "run"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
I like the 1oz rounds, 20 fit in them plastic holder doohickies nice, but the premiums are higher, and if you pay by credit card they suck another $.89/oz out of you.

ETA - Silver did come down though, might have to think about another order regardless of premium.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »
I like the 1oz rounds, 20 fit in them plastic holder doohickies nice, but the premiums are higher, and if you pay by credit card they suck another $.89/oz out of you.

ETA - Silver did come down though, might have to think about another order regardless of premium.

Yeah, I  have been thinking about it too. I have just never paid a premium that high.  My junk silver ( which was lost in a boating accident) I paid $0.13 /oz for. -- And we would buy the non-mint silver rounds ( also lost in that boating accident)  for a premium of $0.99 and that was after the price had climbed into the high 20s. - now they are $1.50/oz on par with the Junk silver. (and the Apmex Buy price is $0.10 more than the current ask. -- Physical is decoupling from the paper.  The parity  of Junk Silver with the silver rounds is also interesting: the junk silver primary purpose is an emergency spending supply. They are easily recognized, produced by the U.S. mint, and people will know what they are quickly.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

Yeah, I  have been thinking about it too. I have just never paid a premium that high.  My junk silver ( which was lost in a boating accident) I paid $0.13 /oz for. -- And we would buy the non-mint silver rounds ( also lost in that boating accident)  for a premium of $0.99 and that was after the price had climbed into the high 20s. - now they are $1.50/oz on par with the Junk silver. (and the Apmex Buy price is $0.10 more than the current ask. -- Physical is decoupling from the paper.  The parity  of Junk Silver with the silver rounds is also interesting: the junk silver primary purpose is an emergency spending supply. They are easily recognized, produced by the U.S. mint, and people will know what they are quickly.

Yeah, don't worry about the premiums too much at these prices, and it is so weird, I too have had a lot of boating accidents...there's a lot of treasure at the bottom of our nations waterways!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #348 on: July 16, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »
I guess food prices will be soaring, look what corn, soybean, oats & wheat etc has been doing!

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=GRAINS&p=d1

::speechless::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #349 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
I just caught an article along that line over the weekend.  Yikes!

Corn - $7.71, up 4.15% (That's just today!)
Wheat - $8.75 up 3.24%
Beans - $15.91 up 2.51%

Which of course means that it would be a great time for Pawlenty to go Full Retard on 15% gasohol mandates!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #350 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Yep, pay more for less, isn't latter day Amerika a kick?!

Speaking of T-Paw and going full retard...I hear Timmy is the latest hot rumor to be Mitt's Veep.

(More) Mandates for the nation, what a deal!

/

::falldownshocked::
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:20:32 AM by Libertas »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
Corn - $7.82
Wheat - $8.88
Beans - $15.93

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
I bet even dirt is going up...

::facepalm::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »

ZH

What is critically clear is that gold's gyrations and uncertainty relative all of these three indicators since the end of LTRO2 has fallen suggesting its diversification and 'hedge-ability' for both risk-on (liquidity-driven exuberance) and risk-off (safe-haven sourcing in a NIRP world) is increasingly appealing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
The end of this century will sure look a lot different than the start...long after we've been buried barter economics will be the norm and being cursed as a theif will be the worst insult possible...and those guilty of theft will be immediately culled from the herd.  Our generations will not be looked at kindly, the few who warned of its folly may be remembered as well as its most nefarious proponents...everyone else will be forgotten and looked at as fools.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

If I remember correctly this is about the time
my great grandfather gave his favorite daughter
a charm bracelet strung with drilled $10.00 gold
pieces.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »
That's one executive order that would be met with lots of resistence today.

Order 6102 specifically exempted "customary use in industry, profession or art"—a provision that covered artists, jewellers, dentists, and sign makers among others. The order further permitted any person to own up to $100 in gold coins (a face value equivalent to 5 troy ounces (160 g) of Gold valued at about $7800 as of 2011). The same paragraph also exempted "gold coins having recognized special value to collectors of rare and unusual coins." This protected recognized gold coin collections from legal seizure and likely melting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Yeah, likely melting, aka debasement like the corrupt hereditary kings of old...  FDR may not have invented theft but he sure enjoyed doing it.   ::doublebird::

Too bad all my PM's were lost in an unfortunate boating accident.

Speaking of PM's, Platinum futures sure are taking off like a rocket lately!

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2012, 07:15:14 AM »
http://www.france24.com/en/20120822-us-corn-soy-prices-hit-records-drought-lingers

Corn has been going like crazy, for all too obvious reasons, unless your a lefty ignoramus...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2012, 08:28:51 AM »

If I remember correctly this is about the time
my great grandfather gave his favorite daughter
a charm bracelet strung with drilled $10.00 gold
pieces.

A lot of the gold was melted down and made into jewelry which was exempt from the confiscation. There were a lot of solid gold chain links made - which in't a bad way to have gold BTW - a chain link is a small enough portion of gold that it can be used in everyday transactions for groceries etc.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
I bet even dirt is going up...

::facepalm::

Ha, just saw that.  Yeah, about 300% over the last 10yrs in some places.
Pretty good return.

Spot gold was last quoted up $8.20 an ounce at $1,647.25.

Most market watchers are now looking ahead to next week’s annual Jackson Hole Federal Reserve confab, which will feature remarks from Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. It’s either at that time or at the mid-September FOMC meeting that many hope the Fed announces a new monetary stimulus plan—nicknamed QE3.

I've seen this movie before and the play stands;
there will be a brief recession, there will be inflation
(note to self: buy CD's at 14) and gold will go to the
'80-'81 equivalent high, about 2200, before it drops.

If Obama wins all bets are off.

Edit to add this tidbit:

LUBBOCK (CBSDFW.COM) - A Texas leader is warning of what he calls a ‘civil war’ and possible invasion of United Nations troops if President Barack Obama is re-elected.

Lubbock County Judge Tom Head is convinced that Mr. Obama winning a second term would lead to a revolt by the American people ... He says the money is needed to “beef up” it’s resources in case President Obama wins the November election.

In the event of civil unrest Judge Head said he’s concerned the President would hand over sovereignty of the United States to the U.N. and that the American public would react violently.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:33:46 PM by Charles Oakwood »